looking ahead- odds of 13 in a row?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint08
Club Player

looking ahead- odds of 13 in a row?

I know, one game at a time etc etc...but can we for a second just dream a little, take the lid off and ask which are the biggest genuine risk games after collingwood?

ESSENDON , BRISBANE LIONS ,MELBOURNE ,NORTH MELBOURNE CARLTON , RICHMOND ?

i thought carlton but after last night , not sure

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The next three are all genuine threats, Collingwood, Essendon and Brisbane are all very good on their days.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Collingwood first. They are the biggest threat going to us til then. Then Essendon I believe. Have the run and carry to break down our defence, and usually play pretty well against us. Carlton can still turn up on their day, but I think we still have their measure. Should win the rest comfortably.

saint08
Club Player

Winmarvellous wrote:Collingwood first. They are the biggest threat going to us til then. Then Essendon I believe. Have the run and carry to break down our defence, and usually play pretty well against us. Carlton can still turn up on their day, but I think we still have their measure. Should win the rest comfortably.
I reckon essendon will have little hope against our current round 6 squad.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh hell...nothing like getting a touch ahead of ourselves..

ANY game is a potential loss..its that kinda season...we could lose to Melbourne on the GC as easily as Geelong if we dont bring the right attitude and our opponents play well.

How many Carlton fans would have travelled up to Cararra last night expecting a rout? Cocky in the apparent knowledge that Freo away from Subi are rubbish?

I heard someone say after the game last week "well anything less than a 10 goal win against the Pies is a loss really now we've rolled the Doggies so easily"

Dangerous thing complacency....even among supporters :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint08
Club Player

I just want to be able to dream a little dream...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

essendons kids bodies will crumble under our pressure. Carlton needs Murphys, Gibbs, Stevens put under blow torch.

Collingwood CAN match that...for how long is the question.

Hawks/Cats (and maybe Lions ast home) are the sides IMHO that physically can stand up to that pressure. Cats have shown they can dish it out too.

“Yeah….nah””
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Teflon wrote:essendons kids bodies will crumble under our pressure. Carlton needs Murphys, Gibbs, Stevens put under blow torch.

Hawks/Cats (and maybe Lions ast home) are the sides IMHO that physically can stand up to that pressure. Cats have shown they can dish it out too.
I'm so sick of hearing this hype about Essendon's 'speed' and how fast they are.

Essendon are terrible. They play well once a month, have virtually no consistent performers and have finished 13th, 15th, 12th and 12th last year, after finishing 8th in 04.

The reason they're terrible?

2004 -

National 1 14 Angus Monfries Essendon 79
National 2 30 Andrew Lee 5
National 3 46 Henry Slattery Essendon 59
National 4 60 Paul Thomas 8
Pre-Season 1 6 Ty Zantuck 9
Rookie 1 11 Ryan Bain 0
Rookie 2 27 Benjamin Jolley 4

2005 -

National 1 7 Patrick Ryder Essendon 59
National 1 19 Courtenay Dempsey Essendon 17
National 3 39 Father/Son Jay Neagle Essendon 10
National 3 50 Samuel Lonergan Essendon 24
National 5 66 Austin Lucy 0
Pre-Season 1 4 Scott Camporeale 19
Pre-Season 2 10 Chris Heffernan 26

2006 -

National 1 2 Scott Gumbleton Essendon 5
National 18 Priority Leroy Jetta Essendon 25
National 2 20 Tom Hislop Richmond 7
National 3 36 Alwyn Davey Essendon 26
National 3 42 Bachar Houli Essendon 16
National 3 47 Kyle Reimers Essendon 18
Pre-Season 1 2 Malcolm Michael 37

with the 2007 and 2008 picks being similar.

None of those players are of any real quality (exception of possibly Monphries and Ryder [i don't rate him]).

Essendon would turn into the next Richmond if they didn't have enough money.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Once again - everyone take a breath and let's get past collingwood before we think about anyone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Teflon wrote:essendons kids bodies will crumble under our pressure. Carlton needs Murphys, Gibbs, Stevens put under blow torch.

I'm so sick of hearing this hype about Essendon's 'speed' and how fast they are.

Essendon are terrible. They play well once a month, have virtually no consistent performers and have finished 13th, 15th, 12th and 12th last year, after finishing 8th in 04.

The reason they're terrible?

2004 -

National 1 14 Angus Monfries Essendon 79
National 2 30 Andrew Lee 5
National 3 46 Henry Slattery Essendon 59
National 4 60 Paul Thomas 8
Pre-Season 1 6 Ty Zantuck 9
Rookie 1 11 Ryan Bain 0
Rookie 2 27 Benjamin Jolley 4

2005 -

National 1 7 Patrick Ryder Essendon 59
National 1 19 Courtenay Dempsey Essendon 17
National 3 39 Father/Son Jay Neagle Essendon 10
National 3 50 Samuel Lonergan Essendon 24
National 5 66 Austin Lucy 0
Pre-Season 1 4 Scott Camporeale 19
Pre-Season 2 10 Chris Heffernan 26

2006 -

National 1 2 Scott Gumbleton Essendon 5
National 18 Priority Leroy Jetta Essendon 25
National 2 20 Tom Hislop Richmond 7
National 3 36 Alwyn Davey Essendon 26
National 3 42 Bachar Houli Essendon 16
National 3 47 Kyle Reimers Essendon 18
Pre-Season 1 2 Malcolm Michael 37

with the 2007 and 2008 picks being similar.

None of those players are of any real quality (exception of possibly Monphries and Ryder [i don't rate him]).

Essendon would turn into the next Richmond if they didn't have enough money.
If they play well once a month they have done well to win 4 in 7 weeks.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saint08 wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:Collingwood first. They are the biggest threat going to us til then. Then Essendon I believe. Have the run and carry to break down our defence, and usually play pretty well against us. Carlton can still turn up on their day, but I think we still have their measure. Should win the rest comfortably.
I reckon essendon will have little hope against our current round 6 squad.
Just remember we haven't seen our side play in over a week... form can trend in either direction... and as much as I would like to think the Saints are going to bring their A game every week history tells us it is almost impossible to do...

I wouldn't underestimate Essendon or anyone else if the Saints had a bad day, and hell - if Geelong can have a bad day (at the worst possible time) then anyone can.

Having said that... the Doggies performance over at AAMI suggests that we held off some real quality opposition last week.

As for Essendon's win over the Hawks, it was a great effort but the stats demonstrate how ravaged Hawthorn's back line is. Clarko was rotating players like crazy through the defence in an effort to stem the flow. They are in real trouble at the moment.

Let's just see what shape our Sainters are in tonight before we start looking too far ahead.