Further to the Sam Fisher signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Further to the Sam Fisher signing

Can anyone tell me why he was overlooked by the draft and only taken as a mature aged draftee?

Usually with a player (cj for example) their is an obvious weakness such as kicking or lack of run.

Sam has proven he has the run and the skills as shown in his AA selection.

I can understand how this bloke could have been passed over.

Was he always a back? Or was he just a late maturer???

Some thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh and FANTASTIC NEWS that Sam has signed to 2012. Fully deserved and I hope we have renumerated him with what he deserves.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I seem to recall reading reports he was a 'late bloomer' and had concentrated on playing golf until a late age.

I also believe he was originally a forward, not a backman?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Further to the Sam Fisher signing

joffaboy wrote:Can anyone tell me why he was overlooked by the draft and only taken as a mature aged draftee?

Usually with a player (cj for example) their is an obvious weakness such as kicking or lack of run.

Sam has proven he has the run and the skills as shown in his AA selection.

I can understand how this bloke could have been passed over.

Was he always a back? Or was he just a late maturer???

Some thoughts would be appreciated.

Didnt come to the city till very late because of his golf. Decided to play footy because the golf was going to be to hard and his older brother played for the same Adeaide side.
Oh and FANTASTIC NEWS that Sam has signed to 2012. Fully deserved and I hope we have renumerated him with what he deserves.

goodie
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I seem to recall reading reports he was a 'late bloomer' and had concentrated on playing golf until a late age.

Correct on both counts

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thaks guys.

Well lucky us then. John Beveridge gets critisied for some draft choices however nobody can complain about Sam Fisher at 50+.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... ntentSwap2
Yet the South Australian's luring to Moorabbin was a masterstroke of drafting by former recruiter John Beveridge, who plucked him as a 21-year-old from the bench at West Adelaide in the SANFL with selection No. 55 in the 2003 national draft, a bargain-basement pick. In a club boasting half-a-dozen gold bullions and No. 1 selections, a nugget was found deep in the fourth round.

Back then, Fisher had only just begun playing football again after a few years living in Adelaide pursuing the golf dream. He had played pennant for Kooyonga Golf Club, winning a state title (ironically, this is his last premiership, a fact he hopes to address with the Saints this year). His handicap fell to one and he represented SA.

He worked night shift in a factory to pay the bills. But, most of all, he found it lonely away from his family and friends in the riverland. "I'd had an absolute gutful of golf," he said. "I was working at night so I could get up and practise during the day. I got tired and burnt out so I decided to go back to footy, have a kick to get away from golf for a while."

In 2003 he played in a grand final with West Adelaide under Shaun Rehn's coaching, along with the likes of Adam Cooney (the No. 1 draft pick that year) and West Coast's rugged premiership defender Beau Waters, sitting in a forward pocket alongside Darren Bradshaw, brother of Brisbane's Daniel, who kicked the century. "I was just getting out of his (Bradshaw's) way," recalls Fisher. "I spent a fair bit of time on the bench."

He had always been a forward, even back in two under-13 premierships for Barmera. That was about to change dramatically in 2004 when St Kilda found itself devoid of tall defensive options early in the season, with Max Hudghton and Matt Maguire injured. Fisher, who had played two early games as a forward, was sent down back against Richmond and was pitted against Matthew Richardson. He conceded six goals, and another six to Matthew Lloyd and Essendon the next week. "It was a tough start. I was giving away quite a few kilos back then. They just threw me around."

What St Kilda was about to find out was that he was made of strong stuff. Fisher hit the gym and resolved to make himself stronger (he is 93 kilograms now, six kilograms heavier than when he started, and more muscular). "He was a quiet bloke," says Jones. "But you could see he had that confidence underneath."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I seem to recall reading reports he was a 'late bloomer' and had concentrated on playing golf until a late age.

yep......he concentrated on golf before tiring of it.said he got sick of the hours and hours of just hitting balls on his lonesome..........wise man...golf is a crap selfish lonely game..........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Thaks guys.

Well lucky us then. John Beveridge gets critisied for some draft choices however nobody can complain about Sam Fisher at 50+.

or gwilt......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Thaks guys.

Apart from the Howard pick...I think it would more be the trades which were not his call that were at issue.

Great news on Sam though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

stinger wrote:wise man...golf is a crap selfish lonely game..........
That's a bit harsh Stinger.....

:lol: