Where is Our Cheer Squad???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ashjam
Club Player

Where is Our Cheer Squad???

Hi Sainters
Being at the game yesterday against the Bullies the only disappointment was how few Saints supporters there was in the cheer squad behind the goals.
The players love a full area of Saints supporters behind the goals...and it makes a great atmosphere.
Where was everyone from the cheer squad group?
We need a full house against Collingwood next week...another away game...and every week for the rest of the year....as the roar from Saints fans is one of the best!!!
Can anyone answer me why it was so empty behind the goals at the Saints end?

supersid

Ashjam, that is an easy one to answer, the cheer squad was actually FULL, it seemed that there was no one there because we were the away team sitting on the Coventry end, where the seats around the cheer squad were not taken. The Bulldogs do not upgrade general admission memberships to level 1 for free if the seats are available. They charge an extra $19 dollars for the privilege of their members to sit around the opposition cheer squad. I know this since my brother was at the game and had to sit on level 3. So that left both pockets and behind the cheer squad empty.

It gives the illusion that we didn't show up but I can assure you that by an hour before the game the 200 seats allocated were almost gone. It is a poor way to treat the doggies members but seeing they have a worse deal at the docklands than we do, it is understandable why they try to squeeze every cent out of their members.

The AFL needs to get serious about this.

I hope that clears it up.

"Don't throw stones at a man holding a machine gun!"
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Interesting..

At the corresponding game last year I sat along from our CS for the price of Level 3. Sounds like the same deal wasnt being offered yesterday.

The stadium are very keen to do it as it looks better on TV to have lots of people in those seats, but I guess they need the permission of the home team as its their gate takings they are playing with.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

supersid wrote:. The Bulldogs do not upgrade general admission memberships to level 1 for free if the seats are available. They charge an extra $19 dollars for the privilege of their members to sit around the opposition cheer squad.

I tried to upgrade yesterday after telling others about it ( sorry guys) and found I couldn't..
is it just bulldogs or every game? the lady at Ticketmaster said we don't do that anymore.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sainter35
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Interesting..

At the corresponding game last year I sat along from our CS for the price of Level 3. Sounds like the same deal wasnt being offered yesterday.

The stadium are very keen to do it as it looks better on TV to have lots of people in those seats, but I guess they need the permission of the home team as its their gate takings they are playing with.
No, nothing to do with the Bulldogs. Unfortunately as of last weekend the stadium have stopped offering the free seats behind the goals. You're now required to pay for a reserved seat to sit there.

It's already taken a few people by surprise. It was even more apparent at the North Melbourne vs Richmond game last week which looked on TV like no-one was there and yet the top tier was almost full.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Im in the CS but i could not go

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I was there, row C, just to the right of the Coventry end cheer squad (aisle 47). The only level 1 tickets available when I arrived were behind the goals.

I had the satisfaction of marking Roo's 3rd quarter goal (well, either that or let it spill my girl's gin and tonic). 8-)

ashjam
Club Player

Thanks for clearing this up guys.
Obviously not anyone's fault.
This is a serious problem and one in which needs our club to address.
I noticed that Level 3 was full with lots of Saint Supporters and I thought we outnumbered the Bullies yesterday in terms of support.
I am sure most would agree that it makes for a much better atmosphere when the Saints end (The Cheer Squad end) is packed with lots of Saint supporters who make lots of noise each time we goal.
Hopefully it is better for the Collingwood game this week as it is also an away game.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

supersid wrote:Ashjam, that is an easy one to answer, the cheer squad was actually FULL, it seemed that there was no one there because we were the away team sitting on the Coventry end, where the seats around the cheer squad were not taken. The Bulldogs do not upgrade general admission memberships to level 1 for free if the seats are available. They charge an extra $19 dollars for the privilege of their members to sit around the opposition cheer squad. I know this since my brother was at the game and had to sit on level 3. So that left both pockets and behind the cheer squad empty.

It gives the illusion that we didn't show up but I can assure you that by an hour before the game the 200 seats allocated were almost gone. It is a poor way to treat the doggies members but seeing they have a worse deal at the docklands than we do, it is understandable why they try to squeeze every cent out of their members.

The AFL needs to get serious about this.

I hope that clears it up.
Thank you for this. I had noticed it at the North v Richmond game- it gives the impression no one has turned up.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saints4ever
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
supersid wrote:. The Bulldogs do not upgrade general admission memberships to level 1 for free if the seats are available. They charge an extra $19 dollars for the privilege of their members to sit around the opposition cheer squad.

I tried to upgrade yesterday after telling others about it ( sorry guys) and found I couldn't..
is it just bulldogs or every game? the lady at Ticketmaster said we don't do that anymore.
Ticketmaster told us the same - 'they don't do that anymore' so not just Bulldogs - all games. It did look strange having that whole bay pretty much empty... we would much rather have sat down on lvl 1 with the cheer squad... lets hope tv stations complain about the 'lack of crowd' so the policy is changed back again soon!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

One of the greatest shames! I only get to a few games a year but everytime I am disapointed by the output of the cheersquad.

Surely this is something the club can help out with. I mean the atmosphere at our games resembles something like the golf most matches. The cheer squad is meant to get the crowd going. Lets take a leaf out of the pies and get our own joffa and stir some fun up.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:One of the greatest shames! I only get to a few games a year but everytime I am disapointed by the output of the cheersquad.

Surely this is something the club can help out with. I mean the atmosphere at our games resembles something like the golf most matches. The cheer squad is meant to get the crowd going. Lets take a leaf out of the pies and get our own joffa and stir some fun up.
The cheer squad last night was reasonably full, and i can comfortably say there were a lot more people than the WCE or Freo game.
As mentioned a few times in this thread, the same thing happened the other week at the North v Tigers game. Everyone sits in the cheer squad bay and the other 4/5 to the left and right are only 40% full.
in no way is this the cheer squad's fault!
Every club's cheer squad has their own Joffa, but they are not recognised as well as him.
There are a few members of our CS who make it to 20+ games a year and they don’t require and attention or fame, we just love the game and the club we follow.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

I was in row A aisle 1 and i thought the saints CS wasn't too bad! There were a few people starting chants! We were outnumbered a fair bit when the doggies got a goal in the first quarter they were loud!

Go saints in '09!
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

We got told they don't do it anymore when we tried to upgrade.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the other issue if you were watching from home last night was the camera angle

the bay DIRECTLY behind the goal was full

the camera angle almost always showed the bayto the left- ( looking at0 or Right- ( from where they sat) was nearly empty

there were more people on the right side - as you looked- had more people in it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107