Port fans @ AAMI on Friday night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Port fans @ AAMI on Friday night

I figured I was in for a tough one, regardless of what the score line read.

We've all heard the stereotypes for years; basically they're Collingwood supporters, plus a little bit more filth.

Well my surprise started before the game began.

In the bus on the way to the ground and walking to our seats was just a bunch of people happy to be going to the football. The minute silence was just that and it was a full minute, unlike many times here when we've seen it go for 30 to 40 seconds. You honestly could've heard a mouse fart from 50 meters.

Then as half time came, you'd expect that many fans would've left looking at the score line.

To my surprise again, it seemed most stayed, even by 3 qtr time, many of the Port supporters around me remained, quite happy to stay until the end, which it seemed like most of them did.

We even had multiple convo's with their fans who were seated around us. As we continued to cheer loudly after each goal was booted, they still remained very docile.

Then after the game, not one supporter tried to start anything or say anything derogatory, all I heard a few times was "You guys played really well tonight, well done".

All in all, I was impressed and until I see otherwise, my opinions on the Port supporters have changed.

Maybe though.....just maybe, they already knew it was coming, so they decided to remain quiet :wink:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

In the 04 prelim the boys in front of us got threatened with a knife. The aisle next to us were quite scary,I probably didn't do the cause much good by continually making choking signals at them. After about 30 minutes they started fighting amongst themselves. One of them king hit a fellow Port supporter in the 3rd.

After the game was walking around to the rooms and got grabbed around the throat by some romper stomper types trying to rub in the victory.

Apart from that I thought they were quite docile

Bring back the Lockett era
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:In the 04 prelim the boys in front of us got threatened with a knife. The aisle next to us were quite scary,I probably didn't do the cause much good by continually making choking signals at them. After about 30 minutes they started fighting amongst themselves. One of them king hit a fellow Port supporter in the 3rd.

After the game was walking around to the rooms and got grabbed around the throat by some romper stomper types trying to rub in the victory.

Apart from that I thought they were quite docile

Woah i thought collingwood fans were bad. I remember my brother having quite a heated conversation with collingwood supporters behind us one game in about 2005. Had the police called threatened to punch my brother. Was awful... ruined the night a little! Luckily we won and they went home pissed!!

Go saints in '09!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I think you caught the exception to the rule, from all my experiences Port Adelaide are the worst fans there are...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sax
Club Player

RUBBISH!!!!

I live here in SA and have been to MANY Port and Crows games!!!

By FAR, The worst supporters in SA are CROWS supporters!!!
For starters, They don't know the f**king rules!!! :roll:

AND they keep bringing up 1997 for some frickin reason! :shock:

I am SO ON the Power in next weeks Showdown!

Saying that, I hope BOTH SA teams spontainiously combust!! :D

Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

PORT are far worse then Adelaide supporters

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
herni the second
Club Player

had a similar experience at the '04 prelim. was going in expecting to be baited and stirred all night... walking to the stadium all i saw was happy familys having BBQs together, ready for a good night.

no problems with port supporters during the game, even after the final siren all i got from them were thank yous for a good contest.

had the result been around the other way however, may have been a different story..

SaintDebi
Club Player

herni the second wrote:had a similar experience at the '04 prelim. was going in expecting to be baited and stirred all night... walking to the stadium all i saw was happy familys having BBQs together, ready for a good night.

no problems with port supporters during the game, even after the final siren all i got from them were thank yous for a good contest.

had the result been around the other way however, may have been a different story..
We had the same experience at the same game. Lots of pats on the back as we left, with comments of "Good game", "You were stiff", etc. But as you say, had the result gone the other way......

Angelina

I have been over there 3 times, twice to see the Saints v Adelaide and also for the Peliminary final against the Power. In my experience, I found the Adelaide supporters a lot more friendlier. The Power supporters were feril to say the least. Just walking from the hotel, there was a carload of them hanging out the window shouting abuse at us and sticking their fingers up as I walked along the street proudly wearing my saints scarf for all to see. They wern't any better after the game, as loads of them lined the footpath drinking and swearing.. shouting abuse at any St.Kilda supporter that walked past. I know not all are like that, and perhaps it was where you were sitting... maybe you just got lucky :lol:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't know if it was an urban myth but I remember a story about Kim Coster? from the dogs moving to Adelaide, played his first game did an ACL. Stretchered off, Crows lost and the adelaide fans seeing the vic numberplates destroyed his car.

If its true might have set the idea of feral South Australians.

Prodgers
Club Player

Because the crowd was so low and the supporter base for Port seem to be one of the biggest bandwagoners going around maybe the only port fans there were the TRUE supporters and the ones that know the game of footy properly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't know if it was an urban myth but I remember a story about Kim Coster? from the dogs moving to Adelaide, played his first game did an ACL. Stretchered off, Crows lost and the adelaide fans seeing the vic numberplates destroyed his car.

If its true might have set the idea of feral South Australians.
I know Robert Shaw had his property vandalised by angry supporters. Plenty of stories of Crows supporters vandalising cars with opposition stickers, etc.

Although, most I know are pretty relaxed, many Adelaide supporters masquerade as grannies and family types, but are pretty feral and unsporting scumbags. At least Port supporters follow a CLUB (as opposed to a francise) and have some idea of what it's like to support an entity whether they fail or succeed. There weren't any feral Port supporters near me at the game Friday...there were a couple Saints fans behind me that needed a smash in the chops though!

LennyBoy
Club Player

I lived in Adelaide for 22 years, and was an AAMI Stadium Category 1 member for ten allowing me to see both Crows and Port Games on a regular basis.

Crows fans are generally very good and fair people with a good knowledge of the game, as where Port fans come from a lower socio-economic area which is reflected in crowd figures. They are much more hostile and aggressive towards opposition fans.

No doubt the atmosphere is almost cauldron like for both of these teams and they do not make it easy for interstate teams.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I know a bloke whonow lives in Victoria, but is from Adelaide& barracks for the Crows.
Every now and then he goes back to Adelaide to visit his folks and whilst there, he'll take in a Crows game.
But before entering the ground, he makes sure his Crows scarf is spread along the dash of his Vic. registered car to ensure it's safety.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I know a bloke whonow lives in Victoria, but is from Adelaide& barracks for the Crows.
Every now and then he goes back to Adelaide to visit his folks and whilst there, he'll take in a Crows game.
But before entering the ground, he makes sure his Crows scarf is spread along the dash of his Vic. registered car to ensure it's safety.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I know a bloke who now lives in Victoria, but is from Adelaide& barracks for the Crows.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Whoops!

SaintDebi
Club Player

Would ther have been four posts if your name was quadruplecolourdisciple? :lol:

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

I went to adelaide in 07 and found the port founds worse than the collingwood fans.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

I went to adelaide in 07 and found the port founds worse than the collingwood fans.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

had a complete twat standing behind the seats all game just whinging and whining about everything, free kicks umpires, kicking backwards...complaining about absolutely everything....

tossers like this prat...who by the way, along with his 'lovely' partner decided to say stupid shite, bag the crap out of our cheer squad and the guys/girls cheering...and at the same time show that he had absolutely had no friggin idea about footy...and was a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

no violence.......just low IQ-ness
:twisted:

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Great call SaintDebi :D
I was using my daughters 'new fangled' laptop & I'm not sure how I managed to multiply my response!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Port supporters have always been great in my experience, both here and there.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell