Riewoldt on goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt on goal

Was it just me, or did our Nick look like a carbon copy of Jonathon Brown all of a sudden when taking a set shot on Friday night?

You know...no real deliberate set up. More like go back, turn around, bobble the ball around a bit, charge towards goal and then try to kick the ball as hard as you bloody can...?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

He's certainly changed his approach in the last few weeks...

He's going for an on the run action instead of a slow walk....

I think its better.... He is a great field kick and kick for goal on the run, so keeping himself in motion with less time to think about it will do him good....

Aside from one shank on the weekend (with which he still made good contact), this new technique has looked and worked great IMO...

spert
Saintsational Legend

I still reckon he drops the ball from his hands too high when approaching his kick and the ball is in the air too long before it contacts his foot, and his leg/ foot is too high up at contact -probably not ideal for accuracy.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Contrary to popular belief, there are no set rules for good goal kicking in terms of technique.

Tony Lockett swung his leg across his body chronically. Big no-no. But it worked for him.

James Hird dropped the ball from waist height. He was one of the best set shots for goal I've seen.

Fevola holds the ball crooked in his hands. Works for him.

The list goes on, and on and on.

Roo's problem is above his shoulders.