Gardiner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Gardiner

Had a rare chance to watch the game today....on Justin TV . Commentary was terrible, so switched that over to 3AW, albeit with a 3-4 sec delay. Was fascinated to watch Gardiner as I haven't reallty seen him play for years.

Thought he was moving very well, but then the commentary picked up another dimension. He was really getting into Cox's head. He was constantly on Cox's right side, and made him tap with his left. He kept swapping his position around, and tangling Cox up.

Then Cox started looking at Gardiner at contests , trying to work out where he was. He stopped concentrating on the ball. Cox still played very well, but as far as ruck tactics go, it was a reall masterclass.

Of al;l the good things happening, Gardiner is special. He might not be the guy that was AA in 2003, but he's a very canny operator, and slipping forward for a couple of goals was really handy. Top game from him!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

if you get the chance ( and I ever find it) there was a rare interview with Gards on the Pre game Program on Fox
showed his knowledge and thinking on the game and where he is at

he really did think of giving it up after rd 17 last year when he only ahd the 2 touches and had had two hamstring and two groin twinges through the year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:if you get the chance ( and I ever find it) there was a rare interview with Gards on the Pre game Program on Fox

he really did think of giving it up after rd 17 last year when he only ahd the 2 touches and had had two hamstring and two groin twinges through the year.
Yeah interesting you say 'rare' because come to think of it you don't see much of him in the media. Has this always been the case or is it just since he came to the Saints?

Geez I am so glad he didn't give the game away...thanks Ross.

Duggie1
Club Player

Gards told me back in Feb. (and it has been stated elsewhere) that this is the first season he has ever been injury free at the start.
Incidentally has anyone noticed how Cox uses one arm wrapped around his apponent's back at the boundary throw-ins? Should be pinged IMO. :lol:

Always a Saint
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:if you get the chance ( and I ever find it) there was a rare interview with Gards on the Pre game Program on Fox

can you remember what was said?

Joey
Club Player

A was said on last night on TV (Cant remember either On the Couch or FC) Gardiners 11 possessions we more valuable than Cox 25 possies.

He's really impressed so far this year, and i didn't realise he was such a good kick for goal. Lets hope he can stay injury free.

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Joey wrote:He's really impressed so far this year, and i didn't realise he was such a good kick for goal. Lets hope he can stay injury free.
Yeah, fer sure.

Even in his best years at West Coast he wasn't a great goalkicker:

1997: 10 games, 9.5
1998: 15 games, 4.6
1999: 17 games, 4.5
2000: 15 games, 13.14
2001: 20 games, 13.9
2002: 16 games, 13.11
2003: 18 games, 10.11
2004: 3 games, 4.2
2005: 12 games, 16.9
2006: 3 games, 1.0
2007: 0 games
2008: 9 games, 1.2
2009: 3 games, 5.2

2005 he played mostly forward and kicked 1.3 goals a game, this year he's kicked 1.7 so far.

The other thing to note there is that he's never played a full season! Which makes the decision to recruit him even more baffling. I think we've had a huge amount of luck that he's actually somehow close to injury-free. Ridiculously unlikely.

I reckon if he plays most of the games this year and keeps pretty fit, he should kick 20 or 30. Touch wood. That would be an excellent return from a resting ruckman. Reminiscent of Everitt at his best - in the top few for hitouts, and kicking 30 or 40 goals for a year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Another one where I have to say " I was wrong ".

I'd written Gardi off last year and posted as much. Whether it's luck or the benefit of having top quality fitness and conditioning staff I'm not sure, perhaps a bit of the former and a lot of the latter.
Whatever the reason am delighted that he's giving us the performances that he is. Isn't it a bonus having him and Kingy able to go forward and kick a goal or two as well. Having two genuine ruckmen is also playing a big part in Kosi coming good as well IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gardi is a huge plus...and is why I was a huge fan of gaining him.

A few seasons back on this forum a number of posters were of the belief that a ruckman was of little value.

With King ad Gardi flying it is pretty clear what a difference it makes to your midfield.

And it is not just "taps to advantage'...but all the bodywork that goes on from a ruckman that knows how to use his body. This is one large reason why Kosi was of little value in the rick...he has little idea on how to use his body in the ruck...either to win the tap out...or to advantage his mids.

Kosi is now where he belongs...up forward (though yes with occasional runs around the ground...as all players ned to do these days).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 19 Apr 2009 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Gardi is a huge plus...and is why I wasa huge fan of gaining him.

a few seasons back on this foruma number of posters were of the belief thata ruckman was of little value.

With King ad Gardi flying it is pretty clear whata difference it mkaes to your midfield.

And it is not just "taps to advantage'...but all the bodywork that goes on froma ruckman that knows how to use his body. This is one large reason why Kosi was of little value in the rick...he has little ide on how to use his body in the ruck...either to win the tap out...or to advantage his mids.

Kosi. is now where he belongs...up forward (though yes with occassional runs around the ground...as all players ned to do these days).
agree that having two big guys who know how to use their body in contests gives us so much more around the stoppages than simply hit-outs to advantage. Last year I thought King was a huge plus for us in knowing how to use his bulk to create space for our mids, keep opposition players out of the contest and provide a physical presence around the ground. Having two guys capable of this is fantastic. It's also good for young guys like McEvoy and McGrath to be able to learn from the big fellas with experience under their belt.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I love how gardi attacks the ball, when he played in the forward line for a bit he runs and crashes the pack and thats great.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:I love how gardi attacks the ball, when he played in the forward line for a bit he runs and crashes the pack and thats great.
Seems to be a bit of this going on by some of our bigger frames this season. Even Gwilt's into it. Sends a fantastic message - it's aggressive and purposeful, it puts thoughts in the back of defender's minds and it creates an opportunity. Great stuff.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:a few seasons back on this foruma number of posters were of the belief thata ruckman was of little value.
I don't remember many questioning the value of a good ruckman. I certainly wouldn't be able to name anyone who said anything like that. I think there were a lot more people questioning whether Gardiner would ever be a good ruckman again given his problems. Credit to Gardiner for working his way back and to Lyon for sticking with him. Lyon would have been justified cutting him at the end of last year, but persisted anyway. Right now, it looks like a great move.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I hope Gardi and King are tutoring the younger ruckmen at the club

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Joey wrote:A was said on last night on TV (Cant remember either On the Couch or FC) Gardiners 11 possessions we more valuable than Cox 25 possies.

He's really impressed so far this year, and i didn't realise he was such a good kick for goal. Lets hope he can stay injury free.
It was Footy Classified, and I thought they went over the top in the praise of Gardiner while accusing Cox of playing Dream Team.

Perhaps he could have pushed forward more, but the game was played mainly in West Coast's defensive half. He can only go where he's sent. Gardiner was good, but rating his 11 over Cox's 25 really doesn't take into account the rest of either St Kilda or West Coast.

the vision the showed of Gardiner going for Cox's right arm to negate his tapouts was interesting though. If that's not a common thing already (and Ive never paid that degree of attention to ruck contests), one would think it will become so.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
doristhesaint
Club Player

I thought we should have got rid of him last year but thats why i am a hack in the stands. love watching him crash in so far this year hopefully he can stay on the park

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:I hope Gardi and King are tutoring the younger ruckmen at the club
Thats why I was happy he was retained - To have two giants in the Big Macs (when they bulk up) having been taught by two absolute champions of the art will be fantastic

I am stoked at the present form of our SAINTERS - but am soooo looking forward to the strength and skill coming through!

hotdish
Club Player

Another solid game from Gardiner. Didn't set the world on fire, but with Kossi going down had to move forward i'm guessing.

He's played four games in a row - he hasn't played 6 in a row since 2003, so lets hope he stays injury free!

Additionally, he's kicked a goal in each oh his 4 games this year. He hasn't kicked goals 4 weeks in a row since 2005, and if he dobs another goal next week against port, he wouldn't have kicked 5 goals in 5 games since...NEVER!

Can Gards get a personal best next week...lest hope so! Seems that he is definitely getting his groove back!

Big test next week against Lade and Brogan.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:

Big test next week against Lade and Brogan.
Though having King and Gardi gives mea lot more confidence about this game.

Lade too who loves to go forward is going to have to bare in mind that Gardi might be snagging goals too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....