Sam Gilbert....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

Rickabee wrote:I just love the way he brushes off the opposition players off as he runs past them. Its a rugby "no nonsense" style.

Yep. I've always liked this part of his game from day one and it's an obvious trait that has carried over from his rugby days. Tucks the ball under the arm and sticks out the other arm to fend 'em off. Tends to back himself which is always good to see. I singled out Gilbert for particular mention at half time in the game day thread and his second half was just as good. Great pair of hands, reads the play very well and as others have already mentioned, his disposal has improved markedly. I was about to trade him into my supercoach team friday but was about $500 short! Tragic :)

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

As I was watching the game on foxsport, the commentator (Dwayne russel I think) suggested he was a target of the the Gold coast team, I thought he has signed again with the saints to avoid this. Can anyone confirm?

|Andy|
Club Player

STILLWAITING wrote:As I was watching the game on foxsport, the commentator (Dwayne russel I think) suggested he was a target of the the Gold coast team, I thought he has signed again with the saints to avoid this. Can anyone confirm?
Yeh he signed until 2011 i think

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert....

BigMart wrote:How well is he going right now......I have him leading the B&F
He would be in contention fo AA at this rate...
I would have thought that "The Assailant" who wears #26 might be leading the B & F !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I have them about equal.....NDS and Gilbo

Gilbo awesome against Swans and Eagles....good against Crows

both on 24 out of 30....Joey on 23

BJ, Kosi, Baker, Gram, CJ, Blake, M.Gardiner would probably follow

Marcus1232
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:
STILLWAITING wrote:As I was watching the game on foxsport, the commentator (Dwayne russel I think) suggested he was a target of the the Gold coast team, I thought he has signed again with the saints to avoid this. Can anyone confirm?
yes he did sign through till 2011 2 weeks ago

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

could well be my favourite player .

doing it all. calm. can kick. tall. decision making. fitness. tackles. even running in and throwing some bumps around.

all round player. hes ripping it up.

stkfc1
Club Player

The sign of a really good player is one that looks like he's got all the time in the world. Gilbert looks like he's playing in The Matrix at the moment. Everyone seems to stop around him and off he goes! Very level headed and good decision maker. Could well be our next elite.

linz
Club Player

For all the older posters, he reminds me a lot like Bob Murray. Similar build, pace and marking style. Gilbo probably has better agility though (especially nowadays) though Bob Murray had a great dropkick.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saintly_safes
Club Player

He doing really well but his kicking style really needs some attention .

widereceiver
Club Player

Not sure whether I should stake my claim, but did see him at his first practice match and anointed him with the widereceiver seal of approval. He kicked a goal from about 55, playing on a wing and looked a likely type then.

Having seen another Saintsational whipping boy kick 4 straight in the first quarter on Sat., I'd remind all the genii (including Mark McClure on LO) who would consign him forever to the backline, he's worth a crack at some point.

I recall a bunch of Sational experts (y'know the sort who can't spell definitely) whose response to the speculation about Gilbo going forward was
No, he's definately a backman.
My response is bullsh1te, he's definitely going to be a gun.

Why can't we rotate players like BJ, Gilbo, Fish etc. through the forward line occasionally?

Maybe even our new super goal sleuth, Zac Dawson. (Just kidding folks, although it did have a bit of the Kernahan float about it, that goal)

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Nah i dont think he should change hes kicking style

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
widereceiver
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:He doing really well but his kicking style really needs some attention .
With all due respect, I'd like to suggest Jason Gram's and Nick Riewoldt's kicking could use some attention.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Duggie1
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:he is very underrated at the moment...looking ok
I agree.

Always a Saint
vacuous space
SS Life Member

widereceiver wrote:...he's definitely going to be a gun.
Exactly. The way he played throughout the preseason said to me he was going to be a gun no matter where he plays on the field. I still think he could play forward or midfield if needed. He's got all the necessary skills. I'd love, for example, to see him line up on a wing and drift up and back the way Richo does.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Good thing we had him pencilled in as a fwd pre-season......

He can play both ends. He is good enough and versatile enough to be a swingman.

When Max comes back...and if Goose comes back (and he looks likely to) and then Dempster becomes available.....then I for one would not be surprised to see Gilbert playing some football forward...as well as back.

if Roo and Kosi are having off games....it is a good card to be able to deal to switch Gilbert...or BJ.....etc to the other end.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Roo and Kosi are having off games....it is a good card to be able to deal to switch Gilbert...or BJ.....etc to the other end.
absolutely. we need that sort of potency.

in fact i'd say it's actually more of a neccessity than a luxury if we are to keep up the scoreboard pressure we're going to need against teams like geelong, hawthorn and the bulldogs.

a third tallish forward who is a genuine goal-kicker is something we can afford given the players who can slot into the backline and midfield ,,, max, raph, goose, x, dempster, leigh fisher etc.

loris
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:For all the older posters, he reminds me a lot like Bob Murray. Similar build, pace and marking style. Gilbo probably has better agility though (especially nowadays) though Bob Murray had a great dropkick.
Can see the resemblance too linz...that lean build, stooped shoulders and loping run and long skinny arms and deceptively strong hands clasping at the ball in a mark., plus his low trajectory kicking style ...all quite reminiscent of Bob Murray....also his blondish curly hair. Facial features quite different though. Let's hope he goes on and takes a saving mark in a grand final eh??

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

|Andy| wrote:
Correct. The main lesson here is to NEVER listen to Dwayne Russell. Always short on research, and never any insight. To boot, he's gone to the Tim Lane school of over-dramatising every situation which is one of my pet peeves (though I can imagine the networks and AFL love it for winning young fans to the game).

One would have thought one of the 101s for commentary in 2009 would be to have a list of Queenslanders out of contract in 2010 handy at all times. Not having Gilbert crossed off when it was such recent news is just lazy.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford