DON'T wanna hear it!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

DON'T wanna hear it!

After a gutsy win like that one t'neet I'm not having a bar of anyone coming up with candidates to drop for the next game.
I know! Max should be up to scratch, but I also believe in the adage "never change a winning team" Let Max and the other guys WIN a spot in a team that is currently 2-0, and in that way show that NO ONE just walks into a St Kilda side any more!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Agreed.....

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

My, my you certainly are prolific on the forum tonight, Dave!

FWIW, I totally agree with you. Keep the 22 for next week.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

DON'T wanna hear it!

Prolific? mois? :shock: As a matter of fact I'm off to join Mrs Jigging in the Boudoir at this instant..so you'll all have to just amuse yourselves for the night! Love and kisses to all!

Dave :lol:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Load of garbage - the best 22 should be picked every week.....simple as that.......was it a perfect win....was ther NO room for improvement????

Seriously......if Max is ready he walks in......I think he has earned that over 10 years....Zac hasn't taken his spot on 1 good game, one average one....FFS

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Max has done enough to walk straight in, esspecially after last years efforts

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
battye
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Load of garbage - the best 22 should be picked every week.....simple as that.......was it a perfect win....was ther NO room for improvement????

Seriously......if Max is ready he walks in......I think he has earned that over 10 years....Zac hasn't taken his spot on 1 good game, one average one....FFS
Yes, spot on.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The best stopper in the AFL only waits for one thing - recovery conservatism. If he's right he plays. Simple as that.

As much as any other reason, Max deserves to play in a side going well. He's earnt the right and makes that side even better.

It is not even reasonable to suggest Max should wait if he's right.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintly_safes
Club Player

If Max is ready he a walk up starter.I have to say that Zac has done everything you could of possibly asked of him & I imo I would give Max another week or 2 off just to be sure to be sure (no I'm not Irish) but given his age & value to the team I would not be rushing him back until he is "fully recovered"

ace
Saintsational Legend

I think there is still a place for Zac Dawson once Hudghton comes back.

Now that Zac has got the extra weight and experience he could well play the role that Luke Penny used to play.
He can play on the opposition's gorilla while Max smoothers the fast leading forward.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

<<just got in from the game
<<just cranked the game to re watch

<<has three words to say

YIP
FARKING
YARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plumtire
Club Player

DONT wanna hear it!

I see, so a guy can run his guts out and play a part in a winning game, and then is simply expected to step down because another squad member is now fit. And thats supposed to build a winning culture!? Maybe one of the reasons we've been so mediocre is the willingness to allow "stars" to walk back into the team simply because of past performance rather than keep a winning combination intact and let players fight for a spot!

rexy
SS Life Member

Re: DONT wanna hear it!

plumtire wrote:I see, so a guy can run his guts out and play a part in a winning game, and then is simply expected to step down because another squad member is now fit. And thats supposed to build a winning culture!? Maybe one of the reasons we've been so mediocre is the willingness to allow "stars" to walk back into the team simply because of past performance rather than keep a winning combination intact and let players fight for a spot!
Not step down, get dropped.

Something along the line of Zac, a 200 game defender and one of the better stoppers around is now fit and you will be going back to play in the ressies, you have played well but really need to work on not losing contact with your man in the one on one marking contests, If you do lose your man then your only option is to go directly at the ball, getting caught in no mans land feeling for your player and searching for the ball and finding neither will not cut it in this league. We are confident that you can do this and think you will have more opportunities to play senior footy this year. Go and join the rest of the group.

Maybe this year?
PJ
SS Life Member

I think there is still a place for Zac Dawson once Hudghton comes back.
This raises a couple of points -

Do West Coast have an identified forward that needs stopping (from the best in the business)?

Is there anyone else (structurally) that you could replace?
e.g. Gwilt, Geary

or

Are the backs we currently have doing more (rebounding, etc...) than we would get by including Maxy?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: DON'T wanna hear it!

thejiggingsaint wrote:After a gutsy win like that one t'neet I'm not having a bar of anyone coming up with candidates to drop for the next game.
I know! Max should be up to scratch, but I also believe in the adage "never change a winning team" Let Max and the other guys WIN a spot in a team that is currently 2-0, and in that way show that NO ONE just walks into a St Kilda side any more!
The view of never changing a winning team is naive.

Senior players deserve their spot. Walker from Carlton injuring his shoulder in the reserves is an example of not f****** around with the senior players.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Load of garbage - the best 22 should be picked every week.....simple as that.......was it a perfect win....was ther NO room for improvement????

Yeah I guess when it comes to Max, your correct.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plumtire wrote:I see, so a guy can run his guts out and play a part in a winning game, and then is simply expected to step down because another squad member is now fit. And thats supposed to build a winning culture!? Maybe one of the reasons we've been so mediocre is the willingness to allow "stars" to walk back into the team simply because of past performance rather than keep a winning combination intact and let players fight for a spot!
i take the point that it is ought to be hard to break into a winning team, but what would you say if it was riewoldt coming back from injury?

would he be a walk-up start?

some players are and max is probably one of them.

marto is right. you play your best fit team.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

DONT wanna hear it!

Interesting arguments there folks. One of the benefits of leaving the side intact I believe would be to give the likes of Maxie a wee bit more time to get 100% fit as well as giving the current defence more development time in match conditions. Lets face it, we're going to have to get used to not having Maxie around forever and a day and he will need to be replaced at some stage after all. I much prefer to see a FULLY FIT Max Hudghton in the side even if its further into the year.
Please dont think I'm knocking the guy

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Jiggster...

What if it was Riewoldt that was out injured and we were winning? Could we not find any room for him when he was fit?

The point is that we are a better side with certain players in it.

Surely, you can't tell me that you'd rather have Dawson or Blake (as good as they've been) than Max?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't change a winning team unless the player you bring in, is in peak form and I think Max should have another week to get the leg right. The Adelaide win was an important morale-booster for the club, and players should be rewarded with an unchanged team for next week.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

DONT wanna hear it!

I guess what I was trying to say in the original post was that some folks will see faults whatever the result and look for someone to drop. I see it differently, and perhaps articulate it differently. I can see the merit in wanting to IMPROVE the side, but I would like to see Max in absolute peak fitness, and the results to date give us the breathing space to allow Max to heal fully and to also give game time to, and build confidence in a young defence. Some may think thats "Load of garbage" thats their take on it. I'll agree to disagree

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I guess what I was trying to say in the original post was that some folks will see faults whatever the result and look for someone to drop. I see it differently, and perhaps articulate it differently. I can see the merit in wanting to IMPROVE the side, but I would like to see Max in absolute peak fitness, and the results to date give us the breathing space to allow Max to heal fully and to also give game time to, and build confidence in a young defence. Some may think thats "Load of garbage" thats their take on it. I'll agree to disagree
i can see what you are saying and i agree with it up to a point.

no one's really deserving of being dropped after two good wins, but then again max (if he is judged fit) has the runs on the board with consistent excellence over many seasons.

one of the reasons i'd like to see him (and goose, when he is match fit and confident) back is that it might allow us to release gilbert to perhaps play forward and fisher to go into the midfield at times.

in other words, it could have a massive knock-on effect.

in any case, this competition for spots is extremely healthy.

our fringe players must be aware that if they drop off in intensity even one little bit there are talented and capable players awaiting a return.

x clarke is one of them, l. fisher is another. the reports say both have been outstanding for sandringham so far. big mac is another who reportedly is playing good football.

their chances will come.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

In all sports, the adage has always been that - if your team is winning - you don't drop a marginal player for another marginal player. But your A-Grade players always get a walk up start when fit.

Ponting, Warne and others have been out with injury (or, in the case of Warne, other reasons) from time to time and the Australian test team has still won. But, surprise, surprise, when they were available, they were always selected.

If you have a Max or - to a lesser extent - a Raph or X to come into the side, you don't leave them out just because the current lineup won their match.

But, when you are winning, you don't tend to drop a Dawson or a Geary or a McQualter or a Gwilt (unless one of them has an absolute shocker and yet we still won the game) for an Eddy, a Begley or an Armitage.

But nobody can tell me that a fit Max wouldn't have done twice as well as Dawson did on Friday night: we'd have probably won by a further 3 or 4 goals, and percentage matters.

So, sorry, Jigster, I don't agree with you.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
matrix
Saintsational Legend

all i can remember is that the last time max had an injury (was it the hammie again) he came back and i thought blimey!...he looks like he hasnt missed a beat.
i can vaguely remember gerad healy saying the same thing commentating i think....
id give max a few more weeks yet....
i just really want him to have a good year injury wise and obviously flag wise if its his last one....
theres really no one left from the 'old school' now.
big efforts in 2009 max
one of my fav players :)