Belvedere Park Planning Application Lodged

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

casey scorp wrote: A 2008 start – I think they’d better get cracking!
The announcement could be defined as a start. :wink: :wink:

casey scorp
Club Player

At its meeting on 2 February 2009, Frankston Council leased the footprint of the building and carpark to St KFC, but not the oval which is covered by a non-exclusive licence (ie others can also use it).

At a Planning & Submissions meeting on 16 February 2009, the Council approved the planning application. There were 3 objections, so now the club has to wait until the appeal period is concluded to know whether it will be face months of delay in VCAT or be able to proceed now to detailed building design. Given the lack of interest by local residents (only one attended a Residents Discussion meeting about the application), you would expect no appeals.
Last edited by casey scorp on Sat 21 Feb 2009 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne

casey scorp wrote:At its meeting on 2 February 2008, Frankston Council leased the footprint of the building and carpark to St KFC, but not the oval which is covered by a non-exclusive licence (ie others can also use it).

At a Planning & Submissions meeting on 16 February 2008, the Council approved the planning application. There were 3 objections, so now the club has to wait until the appeal period is concluded to know whether it will be face months of delay in VCAT or be able to proceed now to detailed building design. Given the lack of interest by local residents (only one attended a Residents Discussion meeting about the application), you would expect no appeals.
Do you mean 2009 Scorps?

casey scorp
Club Player

Absolutely correct - thanks.

I'll edit the original.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ahhh haaa
my plan is coming together after years of careful planning.
I have convinced the Sunshine Coast Council here in QLD, to build a $15-20mil facility on the coast.
Better get used to it you melbournites, we are gong to be the
"Saintsational Sunshine Saints, on the Sunny Sunshine Coast" all together now...

Seeya
GrumpyOne

sunsaint wrote:ahhh haaa
my plan is coming together after years of careful planning.
I have convinced the Sunshine Coast Council here in QLD, to build a $15-20mil facility on the coast.
Better get used to it you melbournites, we are gong to be the
"Saintsational Sunshine Saints, on the Sunny Sunshine Coast" all together now...
And for those traditionalists, including you B4, we will be able to go back to our original nickname and song. :wink:

casey scorp
Club Player

There were no appeals against the Frankston Council decision, and a permit has now been available for a few weeks.

Presumably, action is imminent.

We now await works to commence so that there is a new world class facility open in May 2010 as promised.

Anyone care to guess how long a $10.49 million (+ any extra costs) facility will take to tender and build.

And don't forget about the oval - there isn't one there yet, and so that will have to be built and trafficable in only 13 months (no point having a world-class training facility if there's no adjacent oval).

And then there's project costs - those "+ any extra costs" will be the subject of great focus at the moment.

May 2010 - I await progress with great interest, as I am sure that we all do.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would u say so far so good Casey?

casey scorp
Club Player

The project has a few issues. No doubt any negatives I suggest will be howled down (like I was when I pointed out a few realities about Frankston Park).

The approval was issued by the Council on 16 February. Allowing 21 days for appeals to be lodged (there weren’t any) and a week for administration means that the permit should have a mid-March date (about 3 weeks ago).

In regard to your question of whether it is so far so good, it depends what you’re measuring and what your reference point is.

Getting a planning permit in 3½ months is a good effort.

But that is the easy part:

Cost of project

Frankston Park blew out by around $5 million due to inadequate research.

There is only $9 million of other entities’ money available for this project (State Govt, Council and AFL). The cost was already estimated to be $10.43 million. The club has to pick up the extra $1.43 million as well as any cost increases.

The project is already considerably smaller in scale than the Linton Street project of 3 years ago, which is not surprising given the passage of time and the erosion in the value of the funds available.

The global economic crisis may well see builders sharpening their pencils in order to get work, resulting in very competitive quotes, so that could be a bonus for St KFC.

So far, so good? The jury is out – wait for the project costs.

Timing

It’s hard to see a project of this scale being completed within the announced May 2010 deadline. Expect to see a revised move-in date announced soon.

Not so good, so far.

Oval

Unless the oval is constructed with ready-grown turf, there is no way that it will be ready for use in 13 months. That would add substantially to the cost. However, given that Frankston Council has another $800,000 allocated for the oval construction (beyond the $3 million cash contribution to the training complex) it may well be that turf can be funded.

It will be a point of tension though – spending that sort of money just to get an earlier finish for the Saints mightn’t go down well with Councillors.

As well, there is the issue of community access to the oval which is outside the leased area and which is to be available for a range of other clubs and the community. Spending a heap of money of top quality turf would create an appropriately excellent surface for an elite AFL club, but will that investment then be risked with a mass of school kids and other users?

So far, so good? Wait for oval specification to be completed and construction to begin, and then we'll have a better idea.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

thanks my learned friend

nads

Casey scorp, you have crapped on about this for months now and despite your own attempts to scuttle the deal, the planning permit has been granted in the past few weeks, building will start around mid 2009 and with a typical construction period of 9-10 months, May 2010 looks achieveable. And so what if it ends up being a few months late, at least we will have a new state of the art training facility at a cost that is affordable to the club.

I might also suggest that you need to be careful about the continual spin doctored messages you keep posting on here, with no other objective other than to hurt our club. I hear a growing number of people are getting very tired of the white-anting, particulalry given your role out there at Casey. You seem to know what the Frankston Councillors think all the time, I hope you know what your Councillors will think if the true caseyscorp is reveiled.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Anyone care to guess how long a $10.49 million (+ any extra costs) facility will take to tender and build.
Well if it was the Ballarat city council about a 5 minute phone call to a best mate.

bigmicka
Club Player

i knew it. Casey scorp is Andrew Demetriou.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
matrix
Saintsational Legend