geary goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

geary goal

I loved his goal and I loved even more the reaction from the team.

It looked to me that they appreciate he is a bit of a talent and a goer.

At 20yo I think he can easily be a 100+ gamer with the saints, hopefully more.

Some people here seem to expect so much from the young players. Others want more young platers played and then when they are , they don't get appreciated.

Go 42

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

people seem to forget that Geary like Robert Eddy are youngters finding there feet.

for mine, both look like they will be 10yr players for the club

PJ
SS Life Member

One thing you could not question is Jarryn's endeavour. In fact the same could be said of all our fringe players at present (Gwilt, Jones, McQ) and that's one of the reasons why we are winning. What they lack in skill and experience they easily make up for in determination and effort. These guys are busting a gut no question.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This is a bloke that was getting 40+ possessions at VFL level and dominating, so he's no slouch. The biggest difference in his game will be confidence, and that goal would have done it wonders.

Expect him to back it up next week with a solid 4 quarters.

stkfc1
Club Player

It's funny how the mindset can alter players ability...Geary has always had

the talent. Its just flicking that little switch in your head that you realize" Hey

I can do this". He'll take alot away from Friday's second half.

It takes time to settle into any job and your always nervous

and stuffing up the first month or so but then one day you realize that your

doing everything instinctively and that's when your good at your job. That's

why people need to get off the kids back and give him a go!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:One thing you could not question is Jarryn's endeavour. In fact the same could be said of all our fringe players at present (Gwilt, Jones, McQ) and that's one of the reasons why we are winning. What they lack in skill and experience they easily make up for in determination and effort. These guys are busting a gut no question.
they realise there are quite a few talented and capable players either awaiting their chance for a return or for a start.

competition for spots is intense and it's a very healthy sign.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:It's funny how the mindset can alter players ability...Geary has always had

the talent. Its just flicking that little switch in your head that you realize" Hey

yes, they take a while to come on. one of gt's strengths as a coach was to identify kids with ability and to back them and give them confidence.

that's not always an easy thing to do when they make mistakes, but in many cases they eventually repaid the faith shown in them.

often it's a simple matter of them realising that they belong at senior level as we saw with raph late last season.

ross, i think, prefers proven performers with more mature bodies and i can see the logic in that, too.

it's a balancing act.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:It's funny how the mindset can alter players ability...Geary has always had

yes, they take a while to come on. one of gt's strengths as a coach was to identify kids with ability and to back them and give them confidence.

that's not always an easy thing to do when they make mistakes, but in many cases they eventually repaid the faith shown in them.

often it's a simple matter of them realising that they belong at senior level as we saw with raph late last season.

ross, i think, prefers proven performers with more mature bodies and i can see the logic in that, too.

it's a balancing act.
I also think it depends on circumstances.
During 2001-2003 we were, to put it bluntly, shiithouse as a team.
It was much easier then to 'blood' youngsters because basicly you had nothing to lose by it. We also had a horrendous run of injuries which meant we had to play 'untried' youngsters because we had nothing else (the same position RL found himself in that Hawthorn game of 2007).

Red
Club Player

Geary is a good ball getter, however if you watch the replays from the game

the other night he turns the ball over a lot by foot. If he can improve in that

area he will be a keeper.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

At the risk of opening another can of worms I have to quote from the psychological model of the Johari window:
Quadrant 1
Unconscious incompetence
The individual neither understands or knows how to do something, nor recognizes the deficit or has a desire to address it.

Quadrant 2
Conscious incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, without yet addressing it.

Quadrant 3
Conscious competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires a great deal of consciousness or concentration.

Quadrant 4
Unconscious competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it becomes "second nature" and can be performed easily (often without concentrating too deeply). He or she may or may not be able teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

We have some players who need to step into Quadrant 4! Maybe Jarryn and a few others will this year and this is what makes a champion!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think alot of fans expect instant impact from a 17 year old kid because guys like Selwood, Rich , Cotchin etc. come in and smash the competition apart.

These guys are rare and are often solid bodied and can take a hit. Sending young guys out too early can stuff them up- Andrew Walker IMO has been smashed too much -Josh Frazer seems to miss a heap of games these players were thrown in early to give fans a bit of hope.

Who knows if Kosi could have been a bit more of a star earlier if his body had been let develop first?

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I think alot of fans expect instant impact from a 17 year old kid because guys like Selwood, Rich , Cotchin etc. come in and smash the competition apart.

These guys are rare and are often solid bodied and can take a hit. Sending young guys out too early can stuff them up- Andrew Walker IMO has been smashed too much -Josh Frazer seems to miss a heap of games these players were thrown in early to give fans a bit of hope.

Who knows if Kosi could have been a bit more of a star earlier if his body had been let develop first?
Exactly

Selwood is a once in 20 years or so player in terms of early development.

The small bodied players get be absolutely gone by their third year, eg check out a number of the young essendon players who were getting raved about and now?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:One thing you could not question is Jarryn's endeavour. In fact the same could be said of all our fringe players at present (Gwilt, Jones, McQ) and that's one of the reasons why we are winning. What they lack in skill and experience they easily make up for in determination and effort. These guys are busting a gut no question.
I couldnt agree more with you.

The saying "A machine is only as good as the sum of its parts" comes to mind instantly. We need guys like Geary, Gwilt and Mini just as much as Roo, Lenny or Dal. IMHO in the 2 games we have played this year we have been functioning as a well drilled unit better than ive seen for quite some time.

Long may it continue

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

People are expecting to much from him..

We have to remember that we got him with pretty much the last selection in the rookie draft and he is currently in the team before anyone else we selected that year, so he's doing a pretty good job if you ask me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He will get beter...and when he puts some more meat on the bones hit will assist him.

2010 on he should be a regular...and may well achieve it this year depending on how X, Raph and Armo go....not to mention Eddy.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....