BJ's spray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:The best thing goddard could of done, is go up to him and give him a pat on the back and say, next time mate etc
i don't think you will get that with goddard...he is just an angry prick

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:I think it's fine.

BJ was frustrated that for about the 5th time in a row we had failed to clear the defence as a result of a very lazy kick.

Gram is better then that, and for the rest of the night he was better then that.
He needed a rocket for that very slack pass.
No.

makemytime
Club Player

that spray by bj reminds me of Maxy's when at goose when we were getting killed by port.

loook, bj's spray is uncalled for buts thats the way he is, he can't change the way he is so theres no point having an argument about it.

reckons hes aa form this year and if he plays consistent footy, others probly wont mind his rants unless hes just picking on people

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i love it, Grammy is my favourite player at the club, but he needed that.

it was casual and lazy - worthy of a spray.

completely different i know, but in my very average junior footballing career i was once absolutley sprayed by our captain for pulling out of a contest in under 15's. 5 minute later, running back with the flight of the ball i marked and then got cleaned up. 15 stitches later i had earned back my captain's respect. it never changed the fact that i was an average footballer.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

makemytime wrote:that spray by bj reminds me of Maxy's when at goose when we were getting killed by port.

loook, bj's spray is uncalled for buts thats the way he is, he can't change the way he is so theres no point having an argument about it.

reckons hes aa form this year and if he plays consistent footy, others probly wont mind his rants unless hes just picking on people

But thats the way he is hey? Well he better hell change.....That's poor form from BJ and something that shouldn't be accepted based on that weak excuse.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
makemytime wrote:that spray by bj reminds me of Maxy's when at goose when we were getting killed by port.

But thats the way he is hey? Well he better hell change.....That's poor form from BJ and something that shouldn't be accepted based on that weak excuse.

he's trying......

...from yesterdays hun....

"
Brendon Goddard takes a chill pill to gain respect at St Kilda

Mark Stevens | April 03, 2009 12:00am

EVERY club has its pranksters and competitors when the focus turns ping-pong, pinnies or pool.

Brendon Goddard is clearly in the latter category in the players' lounge down at Moorabbin.

"You could chuck me on the table-tennis table, or anywhere, and the boys will say I'm just too competitive," Goddard said. "That's just my nature."

And at times, the anger at missing a crosscourt forehand has been replicated on the AFL arena.

Goddard has no problem admitting he used to chew too many "angry pills".

"I just think in the past I've abused the umpires too much," Goddard said.

"I might have copped unfair decisions and I guess I've tried to take it out on some of the umpires."

It means the St Kilda star has been a long way short of an umpire's pet.

In his 114-game career, Goddard had won only 53 free-kicks and given away 102.

In each of his first six full seasons, Goddard has finished in negative territory for frees.

The umps have handed him only 15 Brownlow votes through the journey.

Goddard said he had "definitely" been too demonstrative at times.

"No doubt it's an issue - especially the the way I've portrayed my body language at times," Goddard said.

"I've worked on that the last year or two."

And the results are coming. After one game this year, he has a 1-0 positive record. Hey, you've got to start somewhere.

His teammates took notice during the summer, with Goddard being elevated to the leadership group for the first time.

"A few things have held me back . . . the anger issues," Goddard said. "I always felt like a good leader and set high standards.

"I set such high standards for myself if someone else isn't doing the same, I can get a bit narky. I've learned to deal with that.

"I think I can lead from example, have a pretty good understanding of the game and have always got something to share."

As he matures off the field, Goddard has blossomed into a genuine member of the AFL's elite.

Nick Riewoldt is clearly No. 1 at St Kilda, but you could mount as case that Sam Fisher and Goddard are vying for No. 2. Fisher perhaps has his nose in front, but Goddard is coming fast.

The 23-year-old has returned from a knee reconstruction a far more complete player. All his key indicators are up.

Goddard was missing from Round 7, 2007, to Round 3, 2008, but re-emerged as if he had had nothing but minor arthroscopic surgery.

Before his left knee buckled, Goddard averaged 16 disposals in 90 games. Post-knee, he has averaged 24 in 24. His average SuperCoach points have soared from 79 to 106.

Goddard said the enforced break actually helped him.

"People always used to say it helps you as a person or a player, but I never knew why," Goddard said. "It helps you so much mentally to go through so much.

"I just didn't want to leave anything to chance.

"When it got to the stage of coming back, I felt I had worked so hard. I knew I had done everything I could and slept easily at night."

Goddard has endured minor setback with pain at the front of his knee, linked to the removal of the patella tendon to help patch up the anterior cruciate ligament.

But Goddard insists it is far better than last year and as good as possible.

And the aim this year is to end St Kilda's long-standing lack of goalkicking midfielders. If Goddard can kick 30-plus, it will be an enormous positive.

"We've talked about it and we've known it's been an issue in the past. Great teams always have goalkicking midfielders," Goddard said.

"We feel me being in midfield helps us.

"I feel as though if I get a chance inside 50 I'm more than likely, or I'll back myself, to kick a goal."

Goddard beat Adam Goodes on Saturday night, but copped a rude reminder of the speed and toughness of the modern game.

"Playing Round 1, you realise how hard footy is. How much it takes out of you and how much you have to put in," Goddard said.

"I guess there were times early in my career where you thought you were working hard, but you weren't really.

"I am now dedicated to getting the best out of myself."

And that includes getting the anger out of himself."

.....but he might still have a way to go.....
:wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:god people change...a year ago and before he was being lambasted for doing so...

but oh wait...
he hasnt abused the umpires ... yet
Goddard coughed it up a couple of times on friday night, but I wonder if anyone gave him a spray?

Seeya
PJ
SS Life Member

I think most people that watch AFL are aware of BJ's acid attacks, it wouldn't be unexpected however if he wants respect as a leader he'll probably want to try finding some less theatrical explosions to get his point across. Who's benefit is the spray for? BJ's I would say to get his anger out.
buts thats the way he is, he can't change the way he is so theres no point having an argument about it.
If the players and coaches adopted this attitude what state do you think our team would be in?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
battye
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Don't mind it if a player is being lazy,selfish,shirking an issue...but not for skill errors.
I'm sure Gram didn't intend it and would be dissapointed with his excecution...maybe a more constructive approach for skill errors and not going off your head is needed. It can create a panick mode,we don't need our players panicing about there own skills...they need to keep up an element of risk ,going into your shell in panic mode is a recipe for disaster
I agree. It's like in cricket where a player bowls 3 or 4 no balls/wides in a row. The last thing they need is a spray - they need encouragement and a pat on the back. It's not like they are trying to bowl badly.

Same applies - I doubt Gram tried to kick it to the Crows player...

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and by end of game BJ may have wished he could take it back- given he does asimiliar thing at the end of the third qu

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

see bj copped a spray for sending a message to his brother .......said he was sending the wrong message to herion dealers...wot a crok of crap.....he was sending a message to his brother.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rexy
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:Gee, looks like most of the posters in this thread have never played team sports, nor worked in any sort of team environment.

Lets make this clear and simple.

You never, ever, ever mouth off at your teammates like that in front of the opposition. Ever. Period.

Gee there are some dickheads on this forum actually saying they liked it. How pathetic can you get.
Harden the f##K up spinner

Maybe this year?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling BJ lives and dies by the sword saintbrat, so he'd cop a spray from his team mates plus go on to give himself a further helping.

As far as I'm concerned as long as there was nothing malicious in it and the spray was not directed at a 1st/2nd year player, it was directed at a seasoned professional who already this season has had issues with his disposal and his decision making. These are the two issues holding Gram back from becoming a consistently very good player for the Saints.

It was a lazy kick, it was not under pressure and I still back BJ for giving him a serve. There are times and places for certain things to be said but I believe we didn't have time to wait as Adelaide were pressing and Gram needed to know then and there that more is expected from him and he's a better player than that particular offering.

I'm sure it will be brought up in the in club match review, both aspects of this, would be interested to hear the players and coaches take on it. I would hope after 100 plus games that a seasoned professional would not be that mentally fragile as to throw his bum in the corner or go into his shell and simply be determined not to repeat the error should he get the chance again.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Spinner wrote:Gee, looks like most of the posters in this thread have never played team sports, nor worked in any sort of team environment.

You never, ever, ever mouth off at your teammates like that in front of the opposition. Ever. Period.

Gee there are some dickheads on this forum actually saying they liked it. How pathetic can you get.
Harden the f##K up spinner
Harden up? That isn't the issue.

You stick by your teammates in every instance.

You don;t belittle them in front of the opposition.

rexy
SS Life Member

Someone receiving a spray from a team mate doesnt necessarily belittle them, we dont know what he said, whether the spray was for decision, execution, or even just a general spur along to do better. we dont know how good Bj and Grams relationship is or what the playing list has comitted to doing in order to get the best out of each other over the coarse of the year.

We do know that BJ is a passionate man and IMO a natural leader who demands 100%. We also know that Gram is a super talented player who is Stkilda through and through but lets him self down sometimes with disposal and IMO comittment, if he needs to be told to lift his game then I dont have an issue. If Gram has an issue then he will air it with BJ or the coaching staff I am sure.

Maybe this year?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you there Spinner, you never belittle your team mates in front of the opposition and I'd be very surprised if what BJ said to him was belittling. IMO it was purely a spray given to a player who more is expected from...we all make mistakes but the repetition of those mistakes or their location sometimes magnifies the frustrations and flow on reactions. No malice just how it is.

Spray given, Gram picks himself up and he moves on ready for the next passage of play...better BJ give it there and then than Gram run off to the interchange to cop it from Lyon or Silvagni.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone like being around when a employer sprays a staff member in front of you? No, it's awkward, and uncomfortable to watch.

I don't like it, but if Gram can be the bigger person in this scenario, he will look at the intention behind the spray....

It happens all the time in footy, rightly or wrongly it will continue to happen.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Someone receiving a spray from a team mate doesnt necessarily belittle them, we dont know what he said, whether the spray was for decision, execution, or even just a general spur along to do better. we dont know how good Bj and Grams relationship is or what the playing list has comitted to doing in order to get the best out of each other over the coarse of the year.

We do know that BJ is a passionate man and IMO a natural leader who demands 100%. We also know that Gram is a super talented player who is Stkilda through and through but lets him self down sometimes with disposal and IMO comittment, if he needs to be told to lift his game then I dont have an issue. If Gram has an issue then he will air it with BJ or the coaching staff I am sure.
Those words don't reflect Goddard after his outburst....Actually far from it.

rexy
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
rexy wrote:Someone receiving a spray from a team mate doesnt necessarily belittle them, we dont know what he said, whether the spray was for decision, execution, or even just a general spur along to do better. we dont know how good Bj and Grams relationship is or what the playing list has comitted to doing in order to get the best out of each other over the coarse of the year.

Agree to disagree on this one, IMO sometimes you have to do the unpopular things to be a leader, if something needs to be said now then it needs to be said now. I may be wrong though.

Still doesnt make me a pathetic d**khead I wouldnt have thought.

Maybe this year?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Agree to disagree on this one, IMO sometimes you have to do the unpopular things to be a leader, if something needs to be said now then it needs to be said now. I may be wrong though.

BJ's spray coupled with that gesture outlines just how far from being a leader he really is. Still needs a few years to mature.

rexy
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
rexy wrote:
Spinner wrote:

BJ's spray coupled with that gesture outlines just how far from being a leader he really is. Still needs a few years to mature.
Like I said agree to disagree.

Maybe this year?
Quixote
SS Life Member

An old-fashioned, out-dated take on it I would have thought.

I LIKED IT.

8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Mooksy
Club Player

Gram's dipsposal by foot is a real problem.