Fatigue, game plan and the dip

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fatigue, game plan and the dip

Im stoked with the way we are playing - defend hard, force the mistake, capitalise up fwd AND fight to keep it there...what worries me a tad is its early and our game plan (huge tackle numbers last 2 weeks) is very physical...can we keep it up for the marathon?

Buckley made comment last night that we were man on man for long periods and that we couldnt keep that up....Lyon countered that we werent all night so I guess its a balance.

I suppose its why we have to win early in the season - lets face it most sides have a lull at some stage.......Id love us to have them in the bank should we experience a few down weeks.

We are running games out, appear fit (Riewoldt still off) but barring injury I just hope we can keep it up.

“Yeah….nah””
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

When Ross took over we were the least fit team IMO but in the past two years that has really turned around and last year especially we would reall outrun teams in the second half, I reckon that will be our strength again this year... Remember, it may be tiring to lay a tackle, but it would be even worse receiving one.

As for the long term that's where the conditioning staff earn their paychecks so let's hope they can keep the boys on the park.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Fitness is one aspect to what we have but equally as importantly we've got more discipline than we've had in a while. Players aren't losing the plot mid game but are able to apply the pressure for longer periods. We are able to just keep focused whether we're ahead or behind - this was a huge problem the last few years where we'd have purple patches then just disappear.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Fitness is one aspect to what we have but equally as importantly we've got more discipline than we've had in a while. Players aren't losing the plot mid game but are able to apply the pressure for longer periods. We are able to just keep focused whether we're ahead or behind - this was a huge problem the last few years where we'd have purple patches then just disappear.
Good point - I guess thats also the mental side to maintain our structure and not lose the plot when they get a run on (as Crows did).

Very pelasing to see that cause when the Cats/Hawks/Dogs apply the blowtorch its this that will determine how we fare cause once you let Abletts/Bartels/Mitchells et al off the leash for any length of time, as we saw last finals series, the damage is quick and concise.

“Yeah….nah””
Solar
Saintsational Legend

teflon I believe the biggest problem with buckleys analysis (he is a very smart football thinker) is that he assumes we play a man on man game for the whole match. This is untrue. During the sydney game we zoned for their kick ins and I did see us doing that for periods on friday night (harder to access this via TV).

It's an interesting point. Our GP relies on our outside players hurting them effectively as we work damn hard in close for the majority of games

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:teflon I believe the biggest problem with buckleys analysis (he is a very smart football thinker) is that he assumes we play a man on man game for the whole match. This is untrue. During the sydney game we zoned for their kick ins and I did see us doing that for periods on friday night (harder to access this via TV).

It's an interesting point. Our GP relies on our outside players hurting them effectively as we work damn hard in close for the majority of games
True Solar and Lyon pointed that out to him which was interesting....two guys who I think really understand the game....now thatd be an interesting conversation to sit in on over a few beers (need to keep Roscoe awake...)

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The OP is worth exploring.

Interesting Craigs thoughts that it was the hardest inclose tackling and close checking he had seen in anything other than a final.

That would suggest some pretty collosial intensity if the team is to continue that all through the H&A season.

I am sure that the intensity will drop off in some games and we will have a lull period.

Lyon did stat he wanted a good start for the season. We have 12 of the next 15 games at Docklands. Get the wins in the bank early and load up later in the year for the intensity to return in Sept.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Solar wrote:teflon I believe the biggest problem with buckleys analysis (he is a very smart football thinker) is that he assumes we play a man on man game for the whole match. This is untrue. During the sydney game we zoned for their kick ins and I did see us doing that for periods on friday night (harder to access this via TV).

True Solar and Lyon pointed that out to him which was interesting....two guys who I think really understand the game....now thatd be an interesting conversation to sit in on over a few beers (need to keep Roscoe awake...)
I fact take away bruce and his obsession with "inside the saints" and worrying about umpiring stats the telecast was very very good. Love listening to lethal, has been around football clubs so much and oozes experience.

It's a long season and we need to have that tackle and hard ball rate come september. Geelong and the hawks look beatable (ok it's round 2).

FQF
In richo I trust

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Lyon did stat he wanted a good start for the season. We have 12 of the next 15 games at Docklands. Get the wins in the bank early and load up later in the year for the intensity to return in Sept.
Its funny Joff - as much as Im wrapt to be at the Dome so much......Id just like a couple at the G along the way to get feel....still I suppose you gotta get there so lets take what wins we can.

BTW - I notice Carlton are being lauded as the great white hope......please gods let us smash these tw@ts......

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: BTW - I notice Carlton are being lauded as the great white hope......please gods let us smash these tw@ts......
Dont worry - blowtorch to the belly and the Blue Scum will crumble. They s.hit themselves tonight as the Lions came at them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:The OP is worth exploring.

Interesting Craigs thoughts that it was the hardest inclose tackling and close checking he had seen in anything other than a final.

That would suggest some pretty collosial intensity if the team is to continue that all through the H&A season.

I am sure that the intensity will drop off in some games and we will have a lull period.

Lyon did stat he wanted a good start for the season. We have 12 of the next 15 games at Docklands. Get the wins in the bank early and load up later in the year for the intensity to return in Sept.
It will also come down to the fitness and form of the players. Have the fringe players playing for their positions each week and the intensity will be there.

It is also important to note that currently this team in not a young one. They are hardened pro's with between 4-10 years as their base.

The time for this group is now. We hurt during 2000 - 2003 for this group. Now they are in their prime.

FQF
In richo I trust