first ' event' reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

first ' event' reports

I believe the first sponsors event is this evening- will there be any reports forthcoming from those attending?

I trust you all have a great evening at the seasons launch

got those cocktail dresses ready :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mines a bit tight in the bust these days....... :oops:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sainter35
Club Player

I just got back and was happy to have the opportunity to go.

It was a small function where no tickets were sold because the idea was to allow the sponsors and corporates to freely mix with the players which may not be possible at an event like the best and fairest when there are 1000+ people.

Westaway, Lyon and Riewoldt all addressed the crowd.

Archie and Nettleford weren't there but the rest of the board and the entire playing list were. The players were all fitted for their new suits in November but received them today so when they walked in many of them still had tags on and were fixing each others ties and stuff. I didn't catch all of it but Westaway actually mentioned that he had received a phone call from Fraser to say that they had received final approval from VCAT (or something along those lines) and that the new facility will be ready in a little over a year from now.

I thought Lyon spoke really well. I know it's easy to say the right things but he talked about the history of the club and the opportunity for this group to make their own history. He basically confirmed (although things can obviously change between now and Saturday week) that Zac Dawson will be elevated to the senior list and play Round 1.

The players I spoke too were willing to chat and I think everybody just can't wait for the season to get underway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the update! It's great to hear that they are raring to go, which players did you get to catch up with?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

so blake will definately play key back, fisher should be stuck down there and dawson

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so blake will definately play key back, fisher should be stuck down there and dawson

gwilt as well

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so blake will definately play key back, fisher should be stuck down there and dawson

gwilt as well
well not to re-hash the old where to play gwilt debate...

but hopefully not back...he didnt even come into my head when thinking of 3 key backs

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:I just got back and was happy to have the opportunity to go.

It was a small function where no tickets were sold because the idea was to allow the sponsors and corporates to freely mix with the players which may not be possible at an event like the best and fairest when there are 1000+ people.

Westaway, Lyon and Riewoldt all addressed the crowd.

Archie and Nettleford weren't there but the rest of the board and the entire playing list were. The players were all fitted for their new suits in November but received them today so when they walked in many of them still had tags on and were fixing each others ties and stuff. I didn't catch all of it but Westaway actually mentioned that he had received a phone call from Fraser to say that they had received final approval from VCAT (or something along those lines) and that the new facility will be ready in a little over a year from now.

I thought Lyon spoke really well. I know it's easy to say the right things but he talked about the history of the club and the opportunity for this group to make their own history. He basically confirmed (although things can obviously change between now and Saturday week) that Zac Dawson will be elevated to the senior list and play Round 1.

The players I spoke too were willing to chat and I think everybody just can't wait for the season to get underway.
Thanks for that....great to hear Ross speaking so well...should keep some of his "communication critics" at bay for a minute.

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I thought Ross spoke 1000% better than we see of him in the press.

Very likeable bloke too, came up and introduced himself rather than the other way round. As did the pres.

When Ross spoke, I thought he spoke like a Saint, and when he referred to Zac there was an inference that as he (Ross) was at Sydney when BBBH towelled up Zac, he would very much like to see Zac elevated to personally take on BBBH come round 1. And the reference to Zac now being 20kg heavier was made!!!

Had a good chat with Eljay, unfortunately he has a minor hip injury that may keep him out til about round 3. Ross spoke very highly of him when I spoke with him, and BJ called Eljay the silky one.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and my nephew and I were the last out of the place.

Lovely staff, weren't in a hurry to get rid of us at all. Prob could have stayed for another couple of beers....

:lol:

axcellence
Club Player

I thought the function was great... it was very easy to talk to the players... Brat... were you there as well? I think I saw a name tag that I thought might be yours.

Spoke to Ross, Blake, Nick H, Khan and a bit with Raph. Blake is very tall. Ross is known as a "pocket rocket". He may play forward in the reserves.

Riewoldt said in the speech that he's knee is well and post game he felt OK. Said it would take him a bit to build up match fitness but not too far away from doing it either.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

My apologies for the 24 hour delay in reeporting! Firstly a few thanks to bigMicka for the ticket. I couldn't find him in the crowd but those who were there probably saw me roaming the place looking for his name tag!

I spoke with Riewoldt and found his answers to be "standard" and there is no doubt he has been well media trained. He is very focussed on '09 and to be quite frank he didn't give away that much either that I can report.

BJ was fantastic to talk to and has an amazing footy brain. For those of you with him at 1000-1 for the brownlow well done. He is very focussed and when I asked if he knew about his odds coming in so far he said a few mates had him at 500-1 and he knows he has to shut his mouth withn the umps to score the votes! Talked to him about the draftees and he is a huge wrap for all of them. A special mention to Rhys Stanley who he says despite a knee injury from which he is almost fully recovered he is probably the most athletic tall at the club including Riewoldt - which he said comes from David Misson!

So I decided I would talk to Rhys Stanley and see what I thought of him.

Firstly Rhys is a great kid. Personable and articulate. He is still a kid. Lacks some assertiveness and could do with some extra confidence. I am not 100% convinced that he feels ready for AFL yet, but then agian he hasnt played (due to some repair on his medial ligament) and until he does he may not know the jump in level. So I am giving him time and so should all of you BUT this is where I saw a spark. He wants it. And he isnt the football novice we all think. He has been kicking a footy since he was a kid with his old man in the backyard. Which is why on all the YouTube video he is a beautiful kick. He was playing competitive basketball (thats why he has beautiful hands and awareness in the videos) but his transformation into competitive footy was smooth because of all the work he did as a kid. He then told a story that I reckon will one day become one the media will jump on. As a little kid he would play kick to kick with his dad, but the area they had to play wasnt very wide. When he would spray his kicks they would end up over the fence or on the garage roof. His old man had a rule that once he sprayed the kick - that was the ned of kick to kick and the old man went inside leaving young Rhys in tears. He says he used to climb the garage to retrieve the footy (risking life and limb) and beg his old man to come back but the rule was never broken. Because his old man was so hard, Rhys learned from a very early age to kick straight and he thinks this now makes him a natural kicker of the ball. He also really seems to have some great country boy attitudes. IMHO the oly thing that this kid needs is the confidence / arrogance of Ditterich / Spider Everitt and even Michael Gardiner to become a superstar of the AFL.

Like BJ, Rhys is a big wrap for Alistair Smith (who he has been training with 1 on 1 all summer as they are both in recovery) and I could tell that the young guys had really bonded and such a huge influx of kids means they feel at home around the club.

If I think of anything else, I shall report it.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Spoke to choo choo a few times lovely bloke, really down to earth.

Raph clarke, he is fit, asked him if he will play round one, same as X apparently they both will.

Dawson will be put onto the senior list come round 1, ross said so last night.

went up to most of the boys, really good to speak with them!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

nice to see your all mentioned in the brief report :wink:
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon dropped the Dawson news at the club's season launch on Tuesday night.

Lyon spoke positively about Dawson taking on the challenge.

Dawson, who has put on several kilograms and now measures 195cm and 95kg (up from 88kg in 2006), was clearly elated as the players mingled with high-profile supporters and sponsors.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Nice work guys.

I reckoned Rhys (I know that doesn't make sense!) would be a star the moment I watched some of his highlights via you tube the day he got drafted.

It was just one of those things.

This years draftees may be the best yet! (even without priority and top 10 picks)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Nice work guys.

I reckoned Rhys (I know that doesn't make sense!) would be a star the moment I watched some of his highlights via you tube the day he got drafted.

This years draftees may be the best yet! (even without priority and top 10 picks)
And they may be the worst yet. Lets just give them a chance. Only 2 of the draftees have even played a practice game as all the others have been injured. This obviously doesnt include rookies. I'm pretty sure if I looked closly we would have had people last year saying they may be the best yet and also the year before and so on. The one thing I am pretty sure on is they will not be better than Rooy's year or Bally's year. I would be happy if we get 2-3 100 gamers out of the draft picks but even that may be asking a lot.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the reports guys.
much appreciated
8-)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

there's video up on saintscentral - which I'll watch when I get a system that works

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
goodie
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:Nice work guys.

And they may be the worst yet. Lets just give them a chance. Only 2 of the draftees have even played a practice game as all the others have been injured. This obviously doesnt include rookies. I'm pretty sure if I looked closly we would have had people last year saying they may be the best yet and also the year before and so on. The one thing I am pretty sure on is they will not be better than Rooy's year or Bally's year. I would be happy if we get 2-3 100 gamers out of the draft picks but even that may be asking a lot.
Doubt that, 2004 is a very hard year to beat (2003 would be even worse but for Gilbo)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:there's video up on saintscentral - which I'll watch when I get a system that works
Seems to be a problem with it. Won't buffer or load, anyone actually watched it yet?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote:I thought the function was great... it was very easy to talk to the players... Brat... were you there as well? I think I saw a name tag that I thought might be yours.

what made you think that?

what was the venue like?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
axcellence wrote:I thought the function was great... it was very easy to talk to the players... Brat... were you there as well? I think I saw a name tag that I thought might be yours.

what made you think that?

what was the venue like?
i thought the venue was amazing!
very good place to have it
had no idea where it was though we had to follow some of the players in :P

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The video is now working on Saintscentral

JT
Club Player

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/114927

worst website in the world