Westaway trying to make Nick a one club player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

bethb7 wrote:
Richter wrote:THis scenario would see GC coming in 2012 or 2013 when Roo would be 30/31. With potentially dodgy knees and by then a list which will have its gun players of the 2000-2 drafts pushing 30 as well.[.
But just because riewoldt will be 30/31 doesn't mean he will contribute to the team any less; look at richo would richmond ever trade him?
Depends on how dicky and degenerative the knees are. And by that stage we may be better looking at building for the next St Kilda generation..... Arrgh! Who bloody knows.....! All these ifs, buts and maybes!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

trade nick??? you guys are nuts!!

NO WAY NO HOW!!!!

he will be great for the next 5-7 years.

What the hell??? you reckon at 28 he will suddenly roll over and be crap???

he is a dead set gun you build a team around.

In 5 years when we have built up the 2008, 2009 draft picks that will be good players I believe we will need him jusgt like we need him now!!

AND FFS how about we have a little pride, we should want our champions to stay with us not let what happened with lockett ever happen again its not good for the club image to trade champions!!

bob__71
Club Player

If he wants to go then there is not much the club can do. If he wants to stay, dodgy injuries or not, then I think the club would owe him a fair contract and the opportunity to stay.

I personally dont subscribe to the Hawthorn method of trading broken players for over the odds payment.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:If he wants to go then there is not much the club can do. If he wants to stay, dodgy injuries or not, then I think the club would owe him a fair contract and the opportunity to stay.

I personally dont subscribe to the Hawthorn method of trading broken players for over the odds payment.
its going to bite them on the bum when players want to come to the hawks but other clubs won't want to do deals with them

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

[quote="CaptainReiwoldt"]trade nick??? you guys are nuts!!

NO WAY NO HOW!!!!

he will be great for the next 5-7 years.

What the hell??? you reckon at 28 he will suddenly roll over and be crap???

he is a dead set gun you build a team around.

In 5 years when we have built up the 2008, 2009 draft picks that will be good players I believe we will need him jusgt like we need him now!!

AND FFS how about we have a little pride, we should want our champions to stay with us not let what happened with lockett ever happen again its not good for the club image to trade champions!![/quote

i fully agree with you....broke my heart to see guys like plugger and cuz running around in enemy colours........ian stewart always regretted going to the tigers too......]

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
linz
Club Player

Stinger,
Sometime after Ian Stewart was awarded the No. 1 best ever St. Kilda player award at the launch of Russell Holmesby's book: "Hero's with Halos" I had the opportunity to talk with him in the Gents. He said to me his greatest regret was leaving the Saints. It's good to reflect what could of been. :idea:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
bethb7 wrote:I hope we never trade him, I would love him to be with us until the end of his career he's our marquee player, keep him here at all costs
Thank you for some reason at last

So..some people want to trade of the best key forwards weve ever had at this Club..one who might not even WANT TO LEAVE??? for a few draft picks that mihgt turn out to the be the next Tim Walsh's or Luke Molan's?

Staggering :roll:
Not staggering, just plain dumb and stupid......no need to hold back on this one !

Not to mention the fact Rooey has ENORMOUS marketing value attached to his name.

Without Harvs, HE is the face of St Kilda, make no mistake of that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Stinger,
Sometime after Ian Stewart was awarded the No. 1 best ever St. Kilda player award at the launch of Russell Holmesby's book: "Hero's with Halos" I had the opportunity to talk with him in the Gents. He said to me his greatest regret was leaving the Saints. It's good to reflect what could of been. :idea:

yes...thanks for the post mate

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it was his idea - I believe the whole trade was driven by Yabby Jeans.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I don't think it was his idea - I believe the whole trade was driven by Yabby Jeans.
probably. but i remember my old man who was very close to ian drake, a fellow tasmanian, telling me that the saints could have kept stewart and still gained barrot.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
probably. but i remember my old man who was very close to ian drake, a fellow tasmanian, telling me that the saints could have kept stewart and still gained barrot.
I don't think it was the Tigers coming to us for a trade - it was Yabby determined to move Stewie on.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
I don't think it was the Tigers coming to us for a trade - it was Yabby determined to move Stewie on.
I think that Stewie may have had a few issues going on...

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
linz
Club Player

Regardless, He was selected as our best ever player (Stewart) and we swapped him for a flashy wingman (Barrot) who played only a handfull of ordinary games until he was de-listed. The worst thing about the deal was that Stewie went on to win the Brownlow at Richmond,. (Was it '71?)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.