Defensive Pockets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter27
Club Player

Defensive Pockets

Essentially, what happens is everyone raves about how good our forward line is with Kos and Roo and Milne, Schnieder etc. But then we play a game and Kos drops a mark is 2 on 1, looks awfully slow and the oppo run it out easy. What we need to do is employ a defensive forward on the oppo's best full-back release player. Perhaps this role can be given to armitage, maybe steven, or a gilbert because he has pace. Has to stick near enough to Kosi and allow him space when he needs it. But I think we are all sick to death of watxhing Kosi lumber for the ball, not mark it or fall over and then see it easily run out.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas used Baker in that role one day against Hawthorn at the G.

He played a tagger on Joel Smith. Did very well, and pretty much one us the game.

Smith was killing us early, and the move was made during the 2nd quarter.

Turned the game instantly.

Baker is great in that role as he is a very good set shot for goal, tackles well and is quick.

Loyal
Club Player

kosi took some brilliant marks last season both in the goalsquare and on the lead.
his setshot kicking has improved and close to goal he will prove himself the valuable omni-tall in 2009.

saintlee
Club Player

Loyal wrote:kosi took some brilliant marks last season both in the goalsquare and on the lead.
his setshot kicking has improved and close to goal he will prove himself the valuable omni-tall in 2009.
Hope your right, but I don't see Kosi as a true FF....IMO he hasn't looked very effective in that position...and I don't believe he is an accurate either....misses too many easy set shots....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What is his accuracy as opposed to Roo though? Can someone check the numbers, because I couldn't see there being that much between them?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I agree we and we have the perfect nominee for that position in Shane Bir.... Oh wait nevermind...

Seriously though this was a role I have been crying out for for the last two years, with the importance of the run out of defence I can't believe it's not far more widely used.

I originally hoped that Baker would have been able to play his role but due to suspension/ injury he rarely got on the park. I had hoped Birss would be able to step up, and he most certianly did, he played some very good shutdown roles while being able to kick a couple himself.

As for Armitage, I'm not sure he has the tank and his biggest strengths seem to be in close footy.

I would suggest a Jarryn Geary or Jack Steven. Both these players have the endurance and speed, and they both have the strength to lay a good tackle. They also are far better users of the ball (IMO) than CJ or Eddy and they could hurt the opposition a bit too.

I would have both those players ahead of CJ, Eddy and Gwilt because they have the potential (again IMO) to become excellent footballers whereas the other 3 only really look like they'll ever be contributors.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:kosi took some brilliant marks last season both in the goalsquare and on the lead.
That is a mighty big call.

Hope you're right, but I have my doubts.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Loyal
Club Player

It's fair enough that you have your doubts Bernhard, however..
Kosi, is a brilliant mark. The OP suggested that it all comes unstuck when Kosi drops one.
Now I put it to everyone that Kosi didn't drop many last season.
From fifty is where Kosi looks a bit like your Richo's and your Cloke's yet from thirty-out he has become as good as gold.
Let's not forget that Kosi is a genuine tall. He is so hard to match-up on.
As a key-position FF there aren't many Individuals who can boast that they have his number.
Due only to his height, he is incredibly hard to defend against.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote: From fifty is where Kosi looks a bit like your Richo's and your Cloke's yet from thirty-out he has become as good as gold.
From 30 out he is still only 50/50, if that.

He hasn't shown any improvement in his kicking for goal so far this year.

Lets hope he's saving it for next week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
JABBER
Club Player

defencive pockets

Clinton Jones could play that roll as well.Armitage i hope will play more midfield he win the ball alot and dish out handball to our running players
X Clarke could be a smokey for that type of role as well

trevor barker
PJ
SS Life Member

he is a very good set shot for goal
Surely you're not talking about the same S Baker that had.... how many? shots for goal at the end of the sirengate game against Freo?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Surely you're not talking about the same S Baker that had.... how many? shots for goal at the end of the sirengate game against Freo?
Funny! I was waiting for someone to mention that!

He is a very good shot for goal. Up to that point, myself and my footy-going Saints mates would always comment that from our team, we'd take Bakes ahead of anyone in the squad to 'kick for goal for our lives'. His set shot ability wasn't noticed by most.

He is very good. I also remember him beating Milney in a 'set shot comp' on Saints Scared one time.

I don't know what happened in Tassie that day, but I was very surprised to hear that Bakes missed 2 set shots in a row!

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

forward pocket problems??

I thought this was going to be a discussion about our blindingly obvious problem down back.
Opposition small forwards have been our achillies heel the last few years.
How bout we work on some defensive back pocket players before we worry ourselves about defensive forward pockets!!

Although it may be a moot point with positions becoming obsolete in afl 2009.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I thought it was about Eastern and his reputation for being a tightwad...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:forward pocket problems??

I thought this was going to be a discussion about our blindingly obvious problem down back.
Opposition small forwards have been our achillies heel the last few years.
How bout we work on some defensive back pocket players before we worry ourselves about defensive forward pockets!!

Although it may be a moot point with positions becoming obsolete in afl 2009.
Yeah we could really use a DEFENSIVE back pocket too, not a player who creates run, not a player who sets up movements from defence, a player who shuts down his opponent, we haven't had that since Baker... Dempster was serviceable but nothing special at the role.

The only player I can see filling this role out of our youngsters is Geary, but there is still a question mark over whether or not he is AFL standard...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:What is his accuracy as opposed to Roo though? Can someone check the numbers, because I couldn't see there being that much between them?
Kosi 123 Goals, 73 Behinds - Accuracy 67.34%
Roo 320 Goals, 204 Behinds - Accuracy 61.06%

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought the Gilbert experiment has got this one covered.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
PJ wrote:

He is a very good shot for goal. Up to that point, myself and my footy-going Saints mates would always comment that from our team, we'd take Bakes ahead of anyone in the squad to 'kick for goal for our lives'. His set shot ability wasn't noticed by most.

He is very good. I also remember him beating Milney in a 'set shot comp' on Saints Scared one time.

I don't know what happened in Tassie that day, but I was very surprised to hear that Bakes missed 2 set shots in a row!
I agree Rodger. Bakes is definitely in our upper echelon of set shots for goal. The thing about the Sirengate game is the shots were probably just about 5-10m too long for him, and thus had to try and get the extra distance, reducing the accuracy.

The Saints are coming!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:What is his accuracy as opposed to Roo though? Can someone check the numbers, because I couldn't see there being that much between them?
Kosi 123 Goals, 73 Behinds - Accuracy 67.34%
Roo 320 Goals, 204 Behinds - Accuracy 61.06%
what about those short of goal, and OOBs? Be interesting!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
PJ wrote:

I agree Rodger. Bakes is definitely in our upper echelon of set shots for goal. The thing about the Sirengate game is the shots were probably just about 5-10m too long for him, and thus had to try and get the extra distance, reducing the accuracy.
Yeah not to mention it was at the end of the match, I would be willing to bet that every player in the competition is more accurate 10 minutes into one rather than 2 minutes after...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I would have thought the Gilbert experiment has got this one covered.
IMO Gilbert was played there as an attacking option, to play the third tall to ease pressure on Roo and Kosi.

We are talking about a tagger in the forwardline, similar to what Birss played on Heath Shaw last year.