Clarke's out change the broken record

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Big Year required by both...

WinnersOnly wrote:I agree and posterd 2-3 years ago that I didn't believe Xavier and Raph had developed their core strength and upper bodies anywhere near what was required to sustain the rigours of AFL.

If they dont have extra ordinary years in 2009 it is time to trade them...

Another who I would seriously consider trading is Kosi - while he has significant trade value. Particularly given the GC17 entry we would expect plenty of interest. I just dont see Kosi reaching any great heights - he is too slow and cumbersome to play the full forward role and is not a competent ruckmen.
I'm inclined to agree with you on this one mate. X and Raph definitely seem to be lacking in their core strength, which not only makes them a bit weaker in the contests, but more susceptible to injuries. There's no doubting both of their talents, but they have to prove to us that they can:

a) play to a high level consistently
b) stay fit

If they can do that, they both still have at least 5-6 years of quality AFL football ahead of them. If not, then as you say, it might be time to determine their market value - and if we can find a suitable trade, I'd be all for it. However, the trade has to be fair and reasonable, because I'd hate to virtually lose one or either of them for nothing, and see them go on to succeed at another club.

Kosi seems to be on a last chance as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if some of that rumoured interest in the trade period last season has given him a bit of a wake-up call. He can take a big grab, is a thumping kick when he gets onto it and is absolutely fearless. If he can find a position, make it his, and stay fit, he has the tools to be a star. If not, well, same story as Clarke brothers..

The Saints are coming!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Clubs don't win premierships by having players who can only play for half a season thanks to injury problems, the best players need to be on the ground for as much of the season as possible. We've had some very talented players who have spent a lot of time in the stands watching.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The weird thing about this thread is that X has played 105 games of AFL, which - when you compare him to others on the 2001 draft list - puts him close to the likes of Adam Schneider, Steve Johnson and Jarrad Waite - and ahead of Goose, Montagna, Dane Swan, Rick Ladson, Lewis Roberts-Thomson and many other well known players picked up in that draft.

As recently as 2007, he played out the season after missing only a handful of games in the middle. He played in all of the games we won in that season.

Last season was certainly a bad one for him in terms of injuries, but let's see how he goes this year, eh?

Raph has certainly had significant problems getting on the park over the years, but a fair bit of that could surely be put down to the fact that he had an undiagnosed major illness.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Well said MB.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wish em well, but we need these experienced guys on the field playing at peak fitness levels, not nursing various injuries. I would rather blood new, young players who can present at peak fitness rather than having existing players on one and a half legs, especially in crucial matches.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Just to show me? I hope he has a cracker of a season but in my opinion as it has been for the last few years is he's extremely overrated by the saints faithful and has given us very limited output so really I have been right.... :roll: It's not a vendetta but the facts it time to blood some younger players on the back flank instead of rotating X whose body is not up to the rigours of AFL
Agree that X and Kosi in particular have underperformed and disappointed in the past. Raph has also struggled but I thought he showed some genuine improvement in the last few games of last year. Hopefully he's really on the way to establishing himself and his absence from the praccy match was just resting or precautionary.
I'm with you on wanting to assess players on their actual performances rather than what they could deliver, especially blokes who are in their 8th year of AFL footy.
But before we start talking trades, de-listings or any other such negative stuff let's just see how they go in the first half of 2009. Maybe they'll finally turn the corner and start giving us some consistency. Here's hoping.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with you I do hope he comes out but hardly partaking in pre season YET AGAIN is frustrating these two have never to my knpowledge doen a full pre season and if they can't fulfill there obligations then what's the point.

Yes Clarke has played 108 games but he's been underdone in a fair few of them. Raph and X and Kosi come out and always look very average until later in the season and then are forgiven because they are not fit until round 15 which is unnaceptable..

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:I'm with you I do hope he comes out but hardly partaking in pre season YET AGAIN is frustrating these two have never to my knpowledge doen a full pre season and if they can't fulfill there obligations then what's the point.

Yes Clarke has played 108 games but he's been underdone in a fair few of them. Raph and X and Kosi come out and always look very average until later in the season and then are forgiven because they are not fit until round 15 which is unnaceptable..
yep agree that they each need to be consistently available. No point having guys on the list who are perenially "gunna be" stars.

saintly_safes
Club Player

spert wrote:I wish em well, but we need these experienced guys on the field playing at peak fitness levels, not nursing various injuries. I would rather blood new, young players who can present at peak fitness rather than having existing players on one and a half legs, especially in crucial matches.
I'm with you on this one . I hope they can get it together but if they keep getting injured & keep perfoming the way they have over thew last few years then its time to blood a few new guys. I know that X is a very talented player but has gone backwards after a good start to his career. I would have delisted him at the end of last year & probably Raph as well(imo only). Lets hope they do "get it together" & prove me wrong.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I've pretty much forgotten about X . For a few years the thought was always 'it'll be great to get X back fit and firing'. He's so consistantly injured that I don't rate him as an important player anymore.

Sad,cos he has a lot of talent

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, good news is there is lots of room and opportunity to improve. One good game to boost the confidence could be all that they need...