Could Farren Ray Play Forward this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Could Farren Ray Play Forward this year

could he play as a small forward when milne or Schneider are not playing well

trevor barker
sainter35
Club Player

No.

If he can run from defence and kick the odd goal as Gram used to do it would be a bonus but he's not a forward.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He can't play forward, but I certainly don't want him anywhere near the back half... If he is in our best 22 the only place I can see him getting a run is on the wing... even there I'm not too sure why we recruited him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
goodie
Club Player

Nah, rather see X, Steven or maybe even young Heyne ahead of him

sainter35
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:He can't play forward, but I certainly don't want him anywhere near the back half... If he is in our best 22 the only place I can see him getting a run is on the wing... even there I'm not too sure why we recruited him...
The rationale behind his recruitment was to play him off half back.

I think his form over the pre-season warrants his inclusion in our starting team for Round 1.

I just hope people don't let their pre-conceived ideas rule their heads. He was even criticised on here for his performance in the intra-club when there weren't too many on the field better than he was.

marksnsparks
Club Player

sainter35 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:He can't play forward, but I certainly don't want him anywhere near the back half... If he is in our best 22 the only place I can see him getting a run is on the wing... even there I'm not too sure why we recruited him...

I think his form over the pre-season warrants his inclusion in our starting team for Round 1.

I just hope people don't let their pre-conceived ideas rule their heads. He was even criticised on here for his performance in the intra-club when there weren't too many on the field better than he was.
I agree, let him play at least one home and away game before we bag the crap out of him. We even gave Raph that benefit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought he has looked OK in the practice matches, he may take a little time to work in with a new club, coach etc....

That is only fair one would think?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:
sainter35 wrote:

I agree, let him play at least one home and away game before we bag the crap out of him. We even gave Raph that benefit.
I don't think he's rubbish or anything like that I just don't want him in the backline, because his history shows a lot of indecision and silly turnovers, I don't want him in on of the most stressful positions on the ground because IMO he will turn into a deer in front off headlights.

If he is in our 22 he is either played off the bench or a winger, he will never be a defender or a forward.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he might be a strong runner but he isn't quick...

also his frame is that of a two year old's in comparison to our forward pockets...they are built well for their size and don't get pushed off the footy...well comparing to ray they don't

ray would be a failure up forward

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

His strengths are running and endurance; both traits better suited away from the forward line.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:His strengths are running and endurance; both traits better suited away from the forward line.
but when you are his size wouldn't one be pushed out of contests too easily???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Panic can't play forward of the ball because he's a crap kick right now.

Let him get his confidence up in the back half first; then we might see him develop into the player he's *meant* to be.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
St DAC wrote:His strengths are running and endurance; both traits better suited away from the forward line.
but when you are his size wouldn't one be pushed out of contests too easily???
"Away from the forward line" means either midfield or backline by definition, surely? He's a back flank or wingman. And, just quietly, no midget either.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

He was recruited for his run in the midfield... so why put him forward when we have better options?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Loyal
Club Player

rotated as a defensive midfielder when it comes to geelong/hawthorn.
for everyone else an outside attacking option.
wouldn't like him in the square doing the dirty work and would much rather he worked outside off hayes and into our talls.

Batnoe

the aim to a good team is having as many midfielders as possible

even the backmen these days could be classed as midfielders, without the run and carry from the backline you have no drive through the middle

look at Geelongs backline- Mackie, milburn- these 2 get over 20 touches a game and a lot of them link with the mids. The defensive game at the moment is getting as many midfielders to fill the spots so the big forwards cant lead up too much.

I think Farren could play off half bank as he doesnt have to play too defensive if the midfielders drop back to fill gaps

Loyal
Club Player

spot-on batnoe.
to beat geelong and hawthorn you need three or four bigs down back...
....which, thankfully we have.

:)