The "lightning Cup" 1996

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

The "lightning Cup" 1996

Does anybody remember this?
The games were made up of two 17 minute halves with a number of experimental rules thrown in.
For the price of one ticket, you could see up to three or four games & it was played entirely at Waverley.
I had never been to Waverley with fewer people, as the concept was not embraced by fans at all. Pouring rain didn't help either (pre drought days)
I'm pretty sure Barry Hall debuted during the cup because I remember thinking "This kid looks like he might be alright"

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
HarveysDeciple

Yep remember it well.

Essendon beat Brisbane in the final I believe.

Stewart Loewe kicked 6 in our first match, so 6 in 34 minutes basically. We played Hawthorn, and I may be mistaken but I think I remember Matthew Young lining up for the hawks against us.

A few weeks later we played Hawthorn in the Ansett Cup and he was playing for st.kilda against them.... trade rules must have been different then.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I wasn't aware of that situation with Matthew Young. Quite amazing.
Surely That would be a one off.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah remember that. Wasn't the 2nd draft always in late january early feb?
He had a gun couple of years Mathew Young,before he fizzled away. We could do with his precise kicking off half back,he'd be brilliant in todays game

Bring back the Lockett era
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I remember after the first day of matches we were favorites to win, but Stan put out a less than optimal team on the 2nd day.

I had part of this on tape somewhere and it was the Eagles(not against us) with Jason Heatley at full forward.

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

I was only 5 or 6 at the time but I seem to recall there being 3 quarters or 3 periods of play?? They went from quarter time to three quarter time. I think freo played after us.

Too lazy to update my username
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:I was only 5 or 6 at the time but I seem to recall there being 3 quarters or 3 periods of play?? They went from quarter time to three quarter time. I think freo played after us.
And if you can be bothered some more, saints-09-premiers :wink:

thequarry
Club Player

Here is a very basic review of the Lightning Cup:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~brad/96/lghtprem.htm

I think the score in our match against Hawthorn was 7.8.50 vs 2.3.15.
Brisbane beat us comfortably in the second round when we fielded a very understrength side.

Duggie1
Club Player

Re: The "lightning Cup" 1996

TriColourDisciple wrote:Does anybody remember this?
The games were made up of two 17 minute halves with a number of experimental rules thrown in.
For the price of one ticket, you could see up to three or four games & it was played entirely at Waverley.
I had never been to Waverley with fewer people, as the concept was not embraced by fans at all. Pouring rain didn't help either (pre drought days)
I'm pretty sure Barry Hall debuted during the cup because I remember thinking "This kid looks like he might be alright"
This must have been a later series of the Lightning Premiership when I was not living in Melbourne.
The original series was held early in WW2 or just prior to it at the Junction Oval and I was there as a 17 year-old. Saints played Footscray in the GF and won. :lol:

Always a Saint
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: The "lightning Cup" 1996

Duggie1 wrote:
TriColourDisciple wrote:Does anybody remember this?
This must have been a later series of the Lightning Premiership when I was not living in Melbourne.
The original series was held early in WW2 or just prior to it at the Junction Oval and I was there as a 17 year-old. Saints played Footscray in the GF and won. :lol:
Believe 1940 was the year Duggie....

The Saints are coming!
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

WOW Duggie, I'd say you would have to be the oldest 'Saintsationalist' here.
You must have so many memories of the Sainters throughout periods of time that the rest of us can only read about in history books.
Were there many teams participating in the 1940 Lightning Cup? Considering that the war was on

Duggie1
Club Player

TriColourDisciple wrote:WOW Duggie, I'd say you would have to be the oldest 'Saintsationalist' here.
You must have so many memories of the Sainters throughout periods of time that the rest of us can only read about in history books.
Were there many teams participating in the 1940 Lightning Cup? Considering that the war was on
There were only 12 teams in tha VFL (all results were known by 5 pm in those days) and all 12 took part on that day. Play started at 10 am. It was fantastic. Saints played 3 matches. Fantastic crowd. :lol:

Always a Saint