Another Ross Lyon interview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Another Ross Lyon interview

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

It's a pity Guerra retired. I thought he had the potential to be a Premiership player:oops:
We’ve turned over 50 per cent of the list since I’ve been here and a lot of that has been forced with the retirements of champions like [Robert] Harvey, [Fraser] Gehrig, [Andrew] Thompson, Aussie Jones, [Justin] Peckett, [Stephen] Powell, [Aaron] Hamill and [Brent] Guerra
And when did Jones retire?

This is just the first paragraph in a four part series and already there are two howlers. Who writes this? Who checks it?

Edit.
2nd paragraph.
We beat everyone in the eight last year bar Geelong. The Bulldogs last year beat us twice even though we started quite well.
Was there a third game against the Bulldogs where we beat them? Or did the Bulldogs not make the eight.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:This is just the first paragraph in a four part series and already there are two howlers. Who writes this? Who checks it?.
who says it?

both of those are direct quotes from ross.

just on jones, i always thought he did retire. i seem to remember it being his decision and that he wasn't forced out like guerra.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:This is just the first paragraph in a four part series and already there are two howlers. Who writes this? Who checks it?.
who says it?

just on jones, i always thought he did retire. i seem to remember it being his decision and that he wasn't forced out like guerra.
Whether Ross said it or not, it's a St.Kilda website and someone should be checking that what he says or what he is quoted as saying actually makes some sense.

As for Aussie, he played his last game in 2005. Over a year before Lyon came to the club. Why does he go on the list of players that have retired during Ross' time at the club.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:As for Aussie, he played his last game in 2005. Over a year before Lyon came to the club. Why does he go on the list of players that have retired during Ross' time at the club.
you'd have to ask ross that. he said it.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 23 Feb 2009 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
who says it?

Whether Ross said it or not, it's a St.Kilda website and someone should be checking that what he says or what he is quoted as saying actually makes some sense.

As for Aussie, he played his last game in 2005. Over a year before Lyon came to the club. Why does he go on the list of players that have retired during Ross' time at the club.
I'm pretty sure if he said it and you are using quotes then you should say exactly what he said whether right or wrong.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
I'm pretty sure if he said it and you are using quotes then you should say exactly what he said whether right or wrong.
Yes, if you are the Herald - Sun or The Age, but for a fluff piece on the Saints website you don't want to publish something that makes the coach look like a fool.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes, if you are the Herald - Sun or The Age, but for a fluff piece on the Saints website you don't want to publish something that makes the coach look like a fool.
I'm sure the writer has taken notice :wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:It's a pity Guerra retired. I thought he had the potential to be a Premiership player:oops:
We’ve turned over 50 per cent of the list since I’ve been here and a lot of that has been forced with the retirements of champions like [Robert] Harvey, [Fraser] Gehrig, [Andrew] Thompson, Aussie Jones, [Justin] Peckett, [Stephen] Powell, [Aaron] Hamill and [Brent] Guerra
And when did Jones retire?

This is just the first paragraph in a four part series and already there are two howlers. Who writes this? Who checks it?

Edit.
2nd paragraph.
We beat everyone in the eight last year bar Geelong. The Bulldogs last year beat us twice even though we started quite well.
Was there a third game against the Bulldogs where we beat them? Or did the Bulldogs not make the eight.
Apart from Bulldogs gaffe I dont have a problem with what he says at all.

Hes saying hes turned over 50% of the list and a lot of that was forced (didnt say by him for ALL of these changes) so what?

Nope Guerra hasnt retired but perhaps hes saying its a forced change he mightnt have made had he been in charge?

Not much in it for me.

“Yeah….nah””
groupie1
Club Player

Does anyone else really like Ross Lyon's tone like me?

I love this stuff:

Does it bug you to hear people still say that the Saints just copied Sydney’s game plan when you became coach?
I don’t think anyone says that anymore. We kicked more goals in ’08 than ’06. The perception you still carry clearly, and others from the first half of ’07 is hard to change. I put my hand up and say we didn’t get it right in the first half of ’07. It gets a bit boring. I haven’t heard it for a long time but it’s an easy one to throw out.

INTERPRETATION: YOU'RE A f*****' IDIOT... THIS QUESTION IS TWO YEARS OLD, DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE?

You’ve said over summer about the need to get more mid-sized forwards. Is that the main position you’re looking at developing?
We just wanted more players like (Sam) Gilbert and (Nick) Dal Santo who can play half-forward and midfield as well as half-back. We’ve recruited the 190cm types like Nick Heyne and Tommy Lynch. (Nick) Riewoldt and (Justin) Koschitzke are really tall and you have Milney alongside them. There’s Stevie Johnson and those types. Hawthorn has a few. The more flexible you are the better.

INTERPRETATION: I'M STILL A BIT ANNOYED AT YOUR FIRST QUESTION. AND THIS SECOND QUESTION IS STUPID. WE'RE NOT DEVELOPING POSITIONS AT THIS CLUB. THE POSITIONS EXIST AND WE'RE TRYING TO FILL THEM. I THINK YOU'RE REFERRING TO OUR DRAFTING TOM LYNCH, BUT I'M NOT GONNA GIVE YOU AN OUT BECAUSE OF YOUR DAFT FIRST QUESTION.

Is that position a higher priority than getting another tall defender or a midfielder?
They are tall defender height. Justin Leppitsch was about 192cm. How tall should a tall defender be? That’s what I ask you? What do you think? You asked the question. I’m not having a crack at you but you’re implying that they can’t be tall defenders. We think that Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert are tall defenders for instance.

INTERPRETATION: WHAT POSITION? WHY DON'T YOU COME OUT AND ASK 'WHY DID YOU DRAFT TOM LYNCH?' ABOUT REPLACING AARON HAMILL? ABOUT TRYING TO FIND AN O'KEEFE, A THIRD TALL? SO NOW I'M JUST GONNA GIVE YOU AN ANSWER PURELY CRAFTED FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUING THE PREMISE OF YOUR QUESTION AND MAKING YOU LOOK STUPID.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross was on sport 927 this morning

http://www.sport927.com.au/sport927/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Leigh (Tudor) has brought some modifications
to the ball use and a bit of structural stuff in the
forward line.

that's good news. i'm looking forward to seeing it implemented.

hopefully this will mean a scaling back of "numbers behind the ball"
so that we actually have a forward line to go to.

Leigh Tudor breeds confidence.
I have delegated more and I speak less
to the players than I did.
:D also good news. let's hope he breeds some confidence
among the playing group.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

hopefully this will mean a scaling back of "numbers behind the ball"

Unless there is a rule change I think all lubs will be doing this in 2009...as in having numbers behinfd the ball when the opposition have the ball.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:hopefully this will mean a scaling back of "numbers behind the ball"
Unless there is a rule change I think all lubs will be doing this in 2009...as in having numbers behinfd the ball when the opposition have the ball.
like us in the first half of the brisbane game?

i think we look more effective with a forward line.