Gilbert up forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

skeptic wrote:can't have an entire team of running backs

we need a medium sized forward ala Hamil and i think Gilbert fits the mould the best
Correct! And as either Gilbo or even Raph, have the physical spec's for that role,it makes sense to try them both there. Of course with BJ going to be spending more time up forward as well it adds to a forward line that I think everyone agrees has been a little one dimensional for far too long.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I like him up forward... Tbh, love Gilb as a player...

I feel he's also likely to create more goals with his agressive attack on the ball and contesting....

Just bringing the ball to ground and being an option will create opporunities for the likes of Milne and Schnides, as Gilbo is a pretty wreckless sort of player (in a good way)....

PJ
SS Life Member

S. Gilbert will be played up forward this year, at least some of the time, whether people like it or not.

Those holding up plackards saying Gilbert is a backman either can't read press releases from St.Kilda or don't want to. Why then have we spent so much time grooming hbf's from within the club as well as bringing these types into the club.

Sam was an OK backman that can break tackles and run well but i seem to remember him copping an absolute bagging for his defensive efforts against Hawks in the finals.

He's got a pretty awkward kicking style but seems to be effective. Give the brains trust some time to develop our options up front.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We would be silly to not try new things, isn't this exactly when we should give the kid a shot up forward and see what comes of it? If it works great, if it doesn't then he has gained some valuable experience.

Richter
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Sam was an OK backman that can break tackles and run well but i seem to remember him copping an absolute bagging for his defensive efforts against Hawks in the finals.

He's got a pretty awkward kicking style but seems to be effective. Give the brains trust some time to develop our options up front.
Yes, struggled vs the Hawks, but they have one of the most potent forward lines around and he's still learning.

As well as being a great physical presence I always seem to remember Aaron Hammil as being a good kick - both for goal and on the field. IMO Gilbert may match up ok in comparison to Hammil in some other areas - marking ok, tackling superb...... the kicking is the big worry. And how will it go under pressure in big games.....

However, kudos to the coaching dept for trying to do something about this obvious deficiency in our team.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
PJ
SS Life Member

kudos to the coaching dept for trying to do something about this obvious deficiency in our team.
If you look at our entire approach to recruiting it's obvious we are trying to move some of our players up the park. We do have guys that can make an impact you just can't expect it to happen in 1 or 2 games.

I'd like to see some others tried as well such as Raph.

We are becoming an extremely flexible group of players - whether or not that will ultimately weaken or strengthen us remains to be seen.

Swing guys (forward or back)- S. Gilbert, J. Blake(??), X. Clarke, R. Carke, B. Goddard, S. Fisher, J. Gram, J. Gwilt.

One thing you have to say we're not short of options it's just getting the right ones.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.