Should Nick skip?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Should Nick skip?

Does anyone on this forum have contacts inside the club?
It concerns me they would play Nick Reiwoldt on Friday.
In fact, it concerns me they'd play Kozzie, Hudghton, the two post ACL champs in Goddard and Hayes; Maguire, X Clarke, Baker, Ball or King, Gardiner, or McEvoy. Or Tom Lynch, who's also post-ACL.

Anyone they feel is susceptible to injury.

What shape is the Shepparton ground in? Does anyone know? Does the club know? What are the odds there are no divets. Nothing uneven in the ground I'd not like to hear Nick Reiwoldt has tripped on, twisted his leg under impact, and hurt his knee.

I think they club want to organise a low key affair with all the fringe players, and leave out as many big names as possible.

No disrepsect to the Shepparton folks, but surely they don't have the resources to have developed an AFL standard ground? I might be wrong here, but I suspect I'm right.

Anyone agree with me?
Anyone reckon we could heavy the club to be conservative with their injury prone players for lesser standard grounds?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Roo didn't play

groupie1
Club Player

in the forthcoming match

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Im sure the ground will be in good nick, if they are playing NAB challenge matches.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
groupie1
Club Player

I hope so, mate.

But I don't trust the league to provide safe playing conditions - or for that matter, to get anything right

I'd be erring on the side of caution and leaving Roo, Godd, Hayes, Max, X, Gardiner, Ball, Kozzie, Baker at least all out of the game.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The ability to develop a decent playing surface for footy doesn't soley reside at the MCG. Or in any capital city, for that matter. Country footy has been played on excellent surfaces for decades.

Jeez, we have paved roads and all in the sticks now too ... :roll: even that thar Interweb thingy ... :wink:

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If the ground is not in good nick and a player gets injured cant the AFL get sued or something??
Some of the grounds in the country are brilliant, and i would love to play footy on them

sainters man
Club Player

yeah the shep ground is very nice! country footy is everything to the country people, so it will be in good nick.

the shadow
Club Player

The NAB challenge games are allocated to clubs whose grounds are considered to be suitable for hosting AFL matches. I'm sure the AFL and the club will have checked the surface recently to ensure it is still up to scratch. If it's not, the club can protest and the game may be moved as a result.

Having said all of that groupie, I think every saints fan would share your concern. Unfortunately, as saints supporters well know, injuries are a part of the game and you can just as easily get hurt in some of the training drills and match simulations they do at training. As for ACL injuries, the latest medical theories about repairs is that they leave the joint "tighter" and therefore less likely for a recurrence. Surgical methods have improved significantly in this area over the past decade, with the incidence of recurrence in elite athletes drastically reduced in this time. Recent notable exceptions have been David Schwarz and Luke Darcy. These days, the psychological impact of the injury is a major concern, and building confidence and the elimination of fear about recurrence are best handled by getting out their in games and proving to yourself that the knee is sound again. Leaving guys out for extra weeks only creates the impression that something is still not quite right.

Like you, I'd like to wrap all our elite players in cotton wool until the season proper, but they have to get out there a couple of times just to tune up. It's a bit like letting your teenagers of the leash. You are aware of the dangers, you'd love to stop them, but it's a part of life that you have to take risks if you are to develop.

Enough of the philosophising. FWIW, I don't think Roo is playing next week, but I'm not 100% sure. As for pressuring the club to stop them playing our stars, the people with the final call in this area are Dave Misson and the medical staff. I'm sure RL would like to save them until round 1 as well. In any event, the football oval is probably the safest place for Kosi, given his propensity for fainting, running into schoolboys on footpaths and various other non-football related mishaps!

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Hey Groupie !!

Deakin Reserve in Shepparton is the showpiece oval in the Goulburn Valley, meaning that it would possibly be as good, if not better than some AFL grounds at this time of year (although it has a cricket pitch).

On resting players for these games. We have arguably the best conditioning team in the AFL. We need to trust these people as they know what they are doing !!

groupie1
Club Player

OK

Thanks y'all

I feel more confident now. Some of you obviously know the ground they're playing on and that it's a good surface.

I'm also confident D Misson wouldn't let players play on s*** surfaces.

I just have no confidence in the Demetriou crowd and their concern for player welfare.
Example: Yesterday's game in the searing heat - it was the CLUBS that agreed to expand the benches... not the administration's idea.

But I STILL don't like the idea of Roo playing ever when its unnecessary.
I"m not, but if I were a power that be, I'd be leaving Roo, Hayes, Max, Fisher, Goddard, Baker for round 1, as a matter of policy.
This has to do with a/ their importance, b/ their injury histories, c/ their consistent ability to perform

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If a player is ok to play we should play them, match practice is everything, dont want them going into the season with no matches under there belt

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not a fan of skipping myself

Injuries can happen at training, during intra-club, even while walking to the mailbox.

Fitness should be enjoyed, after all these guys live to play footy...

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know much about the state of the ground at Shepparton but I agree with the premise of the OP.

We should be selecting the side and letting Ross Lyon know who should and should not be playing on a weekly basis