Sorry Everyone but we cant win it!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JEANLUCPICARD
Club Player

Re: sorry everyone we cant win it

JABBER wrote:Was Rome built in a day St kilda got a very good chance of winning the Grand Final This Year.We must Finish top 2 to host home finals.its going to be hard as i rate Hawtorn'Geelong and a couple other sides.Geelong has a worst grand final record than us Our squad has great depth this year as i rate the kids we drafted
Even with our amazing teams of 2004 and 2005 we couldn't finish top 2. I also rate geelong and hawthorn...

spert
Saintsational Legend

We're not far off the mark, but unfortunately our midfielders are still very one-paced -that is regardless of the opposition, they play in a predictable, reliable way but don't seem to have a top gear to switch to when required, and don't penetrate with their disposals. I think Gram and Goddard need to be played in the middle somewhere. We are still one big attacking backman short too.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:We're not far off the mark, but unfortunately our midfielders are still very one-paced -that is regardless of the opposition, they play in a predictable, reliable way but don't seem to have a top gear to switch to when required, and don't penetrate with their disposals. I think Gram and Goddard need to be played in the middle somewhere. We are still one big attacking backman short too.
MAGUIRE :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but I cant see Goose being the same player he was after the nature of bad leg injuries he has had -he won't be able to leap or turn like he used to. He may be be best utilised at FF?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sorry but I cant see Goose being the same player he was after the nature of bad leg injuries he has had -he won't be able to leap or turn like he used to. He may be be best utilised at FF?
Yeah but let’s just fantasise for a moment and pretend he never had the injuries.

He’s got the build, the athleticism and the skills, he just looks like a menacing CHB. He is a Jonathon Brown in the Backline.

groupie1
Club Player

Is this expression of 'one-paced' supposed to mean slow?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why is everyone apologising so much on this thread?

Have the confidence to state your opinion, that is what it's all about.

No need to say sorry all the time, it comes across a little patronising.

Sorry but this how I feel :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

you know what the beauty about football, there is no set outcome. Injuries, form, and luck can play it's part. Imagine if croad can't come back, franklin does his knee and they have a hangover from the flag....

but to write off a side (perhaps the only ones would be freo and melbourne who are totally rebuilding) is stupid and childish

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
linz
Club Player

I'm not sorry but I think there's an underlying feeling that we had our chances and we blew it. 2004 was our year. The gradual slide continued from there.

This year we may just slip under other sides radar.

I hope so anyway.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saintly_safes
Club Player

If we get 22 guys on the park for 22 games of the year(+ finals) that play for the jumper & the team then we have hope. Modern afl football is about pushing yourself mentally as much as it is phyically.As soon as you give the opposition a mental advantage they feed on it & it gives them the confidence to take risks & push harder to make space or lay that tackle that inspires others to follow.To be honest I havent seen that at the saints in the last 3 or 4 years.We have had some good quaters here & there but nothing consistent.If we are to push for a shot at the big one we have to be alot more mentally focused than we have been in the last few years imo

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
spert wrote:We're not far off the mark, but unfortunately our midfielders are still very one-paced -that is regardless of the opposition, they play in a predictable, reliable way but don't seem to have a top gear to switch to when required, and don't penetrate with their disposals. I think Gram and Goddard need to be played in the middle somewhere. We are still one big attacking backman short too.
MAGUIRE :wink:
FINISHED

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:If we get 22 guys on the park for 22 games of the year(+ finals) that play for the jumper & the team then we have hope. Modern afl football is about pushing yourself mentally as much as it is phyically.As soon as you give the opposition a mental advantage they feed on it & it gives them the confidence to take risks & push harder to make space or lay that tackle that inspires others to follow.To be honest I havent seen that at the saints in the last 3 or 4 years.We have had some good quaters here & there but nothing consistent.If we are to push for a shot at the big one we have to be alot more mentally focused than we have been in the last few years imo
Where's that change going to come from?

saintly_safes
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:If we get 22 guys on the park for 22 games of the year(+ finals) that play for the jumper & the team then we have hope. Modern afl football is about pushing yourself mentally as much as it is phyically.As soon as you give the opposition a mental advantage they feed on it & it gives them the confidence to take risks & push harder to make space or lay that tackle that inspires others to follow.To be honest I havent seen that at the saints in the last 3 or 4 years.We have had some good quaters here & there but nothing consistent.If we are to push for a shot at the big one we have to be alot more mentally focused than we have been in the last few years imo
Where's that change going to come from?

To be brutally honest I dont know.Hopefully from within. Cheers saintly_safes :wink: