latest on archie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

latest on archie

St Kilda boss off to run A-League

Ray Gatt | February 26, 2009
Article from: The Australian

FIRST it was the rugby infiltration, now AFL is about to have a stronger influence in the round ball game after St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser was named the new head of operations of the A-League.

Scotsman Fraser, 49, will replace Rob Abernethy following a major administrative re-organisation at Football Federation Australia that will see key personnel take up new roles involving the 2018-2022 World Cup bids and 2015 Asian Cup finals bid.

Fraser will work alongside FFA chief executive Ben Buckley, a former North Melbourne defender who was enticed by chairman Frank Lowy to the FFA in November 2006 after working as the AFL's chief operating officer.

A former professional footballer in Scotland, Fraser said he was delighted to be involved in the sport in which he grew up and believes he can add substantial value to the A-League as well as the (women's) W-League and National Youth League.

"The most important aspect for me is that I am coming from a club culture," said Fraser, who spent four seasons at St Kilda.

"I know the CEOs, most of the coaches and some of the owners of the (A-League) clubs. I know what it means to deal with the clubs and the rank and file fans, the people who pay their money through the gate."

Fraser said his involvement with soccer had been a long time coming.

"I guess it had to come, given my background. But I was waiting for the right moment, the right time," Fraser said.

"It needed to be something with the FFA as opposed to a club job."

He believes the A-League is in a strong position to continue to make an impact on the Australian sporting scene.

"Look, it has probably plateaued this season, but it is still in great shape," he said.

"With two new clubs coming in next season and players like Robbie Fowler and Jason Culina signing up to play, I think you will see a real surge."

Fraser, who played for Greenock Morton in Scotland before a stint in the state league in Brisbane, is expected to take up his position in April.

Abernethy will now head up the 2015 Asian Cup finals bid.

Buckley said: "At this stage we are the only country that has put our name forward for the 2015 Asian Cup, and expressions of interest or intentions to bid closed off some time ago."

He added: "There's nothing that we've heard or seen that would suggest any other country is planning to host the Asian Cup."

It was also announced that the head of major events, Stuart Taggart, and head of corporate and public affairs Bonita Mersiades will work full-time on the Asian and World Cup bids team.

Taggart will manage FFA bid operations and be responsible for technical aspects of the bid, including infrastructure planning, stadium and host city logistics, finance and project management.

Mersiades will be responsible for domestic and international communications, marketing, government relations, corporate social responsibility, and stakeholder and community relations.

The FFA bid team will grow over the next two months to between 12-15 full-time staff to include additional resources covering the areas of legal services, finance, infrastructure and operations, marketing and communications, and community relations.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Taggart will be heading up the FFA bid, will Stinger be heading up the FFS bid???

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Taggart will be heading up the FFA bid, will Stinger be heading up the FFS bid???

can be arranged.... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.