The Jones boy.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Jones boy.

What's everyones thoughts on him? I've gone off him, a real outside player who runs into all the wrong places, just seems totally inefective most of the time.
Would he get a game with Geelong Hawthorn Collingwood Sydney....I think not

Am I being harsh?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Gets a lot of the ball, which fools some people into thinking he's a good player. Unfortunately gets it in bad positions and is not creative or skillful enough to make his possessions damaging.

As long as he knows he is there to pressure and create turnovers, and that he is not Nick Dal Santo, he's a valuable member of our best 22.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I can only assume from last night that our best 14 or 15 are set... what we saw was the reast of the pack slugging it out for bottom 6 positions. With the excepation of the senior players playing.

If our depth is any good.. Jones and Mini should not play seniors this year.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
TheDomeHero
Club Player

a genuine defender.

bethb7
Club Player

I like his effort he always gives it 100%. But Iv watch him & alot of the time, he just runs aroud aimlessly he never seems to be in the right place. Disposal isn't great either.
I dunno about him?

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
HarveysDeciple

I'll be the first to admit he has his deficiencies...but he has a huge heart and also the commitment to work hard on his game.

We saw improvements from him in 2008, his disposal (whilst still not all that great) did improve, and his pressure, tackling, one percenters are second to none.

I think he offers plenty, we need him to keep working on his disposal and decision making, but he's the kind of player you know will leave no stone unturned to do so, I like CJ, think he has a future.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Your admiration for all things St.Kilda is well noted......

no doubt you would support a 90 yr old recruit mentioning he has heaps of improvement and time on his side.
:wink: :wink:

Wish all supporters had your approach.

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Alot being drawn from a praccy match.

So cj's skills were down. So what - we all know that. Even on TD he is suspect. But who can forget his team lifting mark and goal against Sydney R1, or his run down of Buddy Franklin?

He brings alot to the team. Have he's heart with (I wont mention the players name) skill and we would have an out and out champion.

L.Fishers disposal was ordinary. Disappointed - but it was slippery and it was a praccy in Feb.

Usual suspect out to lynch Raph I see :roll:

One bad kick - and a handball at his knees that he fumbled and everyone is over him like a bloody rash. Generally was pretty good.

Funny how nobody critisises Goose for his sway of frees and his dropped marks (which BTW i dont think he deserves - almost two years out of the game and a wet night in Feb). Raph is the whipping boy and because he has put egg on many faces with his form late last year - many are still trying to pick s.hite with every single thing he does.

Well done Raph - you keep showing up these fools who called you posion and wanted you sacked.

Cabbages :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
TheDomeHero
Club Player

heart of a lion, however, simply put, his footwork is that of a defender.

HarveysDeciple

chook23 wrote:Your admiration for all things St.Kilda is well noted......

no doubt you would support a 90 yr old recruit mentioning he has heaps of improvement and time on his side.
:wink: :wink:

Wish all supporters had your approach.
Zac Dawson is a hack, Howard dissapoints me, and Armitage frustrates the s*** out of me.....however I like Clinton Jones.....and also resent the blind loyalty suggestion :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Alot being drawn from a praccy match.

So cj's skills were down. So what - we all know that. Even on TD he is suspect. But who can forget his team lifting mark and goal against Sydney R1, or his run down of Buddy Franklin?

He brings alot to the team. Have he's heart with (I wont mention the players name) skill and we would have an out and out champion.

L.Fishers disposal was ordinary. Disappointed - but it was slippery and it was a praccy in Feb.

Usual suspect out to lynch Raph I see :roll:

One bad kick - and a handball at his knees that he fumbled and everyone is over him like a bloody rash. Generally was pretty good.

Funny how nobody critisises Goose for his sway of frees and his dropped marks (which BTW i dont think he deserves - almost two years out of the game and a wet night in Feb). Raph is the whipping boy and because he has put egg on many faces with his form late last year - many are still trying to pick s.hite with every single thing he does.

Well done Raph - you keep showing up these fools who called you posion and wanted you sacked.

Cabbages :roll: :roll:
keep on topic you parsnip :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

his closing speed was very obvious. Put alot of pressure on and could stick a tackle. Currently he is ahead of the likes of mini just for this fact. All comes back to making sure he makes good decisions under pressure.

would like to see choo choo get a game against the dogs just to see if he can have the same effect.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Jones looks to me to be the number one tagger in the team. Not blessed with skills, but he can run, tackle and is tough. He'll be hanging off Judds coat tails when the two sides meet and will free Bakes to play himself back into form in the back pocket or HBF.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:his closing speed was very obvious. Put alot of pressure on and could stick a tackle. Currently he is ahead of the likes of mini just for this fact. All comes back to making sure he makes good decisions under pressure.

would like to see choo choo get a game against the dogs just to see if he can have the same effect.
Well said. Until a few of his teamates learn to make tackles stick, and not just swing the player around so he can dish off to a teammate, he deserves a game. The amount od times Brisbane got their arms free to handpass when tackled was a bit frustrating

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bethb7 wrote:I like his effort he always gives it 100%. But Iv watch him & alot of the time, he just runs aroud aimlessly he never seems to be in the right place. Disposal isn't great either.
I dunno about him?
The words "headless chook" come to mind at times. Cannot question his efforts.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintbob
SS Life Member

CJ didn't have his best game last night, but I'd still have him in front of 10 others that played last night!!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:CJ didn't have his best game last night, but I'd still have him in front of 10 others that played last night!!!
My comment is based over a long period of time.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The Fireman wrote:
saintbob wrote:CJ didn't have his best game last night, but I'd still have him in front of 10 others that played last night!!!
My comment is based over a long period of time.
then you are basing your opinion on his early '07 form, not his year in '08 and certainly not on his first game in '09. This year he has added more body bulk, so his speed will drop off, but his body work will be better.
One of less than a handful of players that had maximum game time against the lions, and if you can pick one instance in his game that he made a bad disposal, I'd be interested.
Bang for buck he leaves a lot of team mates for dead, CJ does his job.

Seeya