Full Forward. My backside.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Full Forward. My backside.

Righto you guys. Time to put your cards on the table. In most posts I've read there seems to be an over whelming thread to place Kosi at full forward for the 2009 season. WHY ?
Are we that desperate ?
Did he create such a good impression last year playing as the second tall forward ?
Are we just looking for a spot in the team for him, because he was the second pick behind Roo and played some sensational games in 2005.?
He's a gunna. He's gunna do this and he's gunna do that.
I'm not convinced. Maybe needs a long stint in the two's to get some confidence in his game.
If he's going to play in the seniors he must play on ball. Interchange with King every 12 minutes and no more.
Time to find a full forward. Kosi had his time down in the goal square. Time to get out.
Go Saints

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ok so we magically pull a FF from where? That is able to play better than Kosi this year? Kosi was better last year than a lot FF's from other teams (not all of them) but we expect more from him, but the fact remains he is currently our best and our only option for FF.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

kosi/BJ at CHF and roo at full forward makes sense to me....

(waiting for certain people to come on and say "why would you put a great CHF at FF blah blah ... but he could kick 100 if he didn't get the yips and we used him well....)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
goodie
Club Player

Well we need a full forward and he's the best candidate right now. Tall, strong, good hands. His kicking at the intra club was promising. Also I notice you didn't suggest any alternatives, who would you play at full forward instead?

And playing him in the ruck is an even worse option, his tapwork is ordinary at best.

Lennon
Club Player

Solar wrote:kosi/BJ at CHF and roo at full forward makes sense to me....
I'm happy for you? Doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

(one of) Roo's strength(s) is his ability to push up the ground and help out.

Stick him at FF and he won't be nearly as influential.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

(waiting for certain people to come on and say "why would you put a great CHF at FF blah blah ... but he could kick 100 if he didn't get the yips and we used him well....)
Have to agree with you as he is really the only natural FF we have. If we are playing keep him there if not move him further up the ground.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:but he could kick 100 if he didn't get the yips and we used him well....)
Whats better Roo at FF kicking 100 goals having no influence up the ground? Kosi maybe kicking 20 to 30 odd from CHF

Or Roo at CHF kicking 70 goals and having an effect all over the ground? Kosi getting maybe 40 or 50 odd at FF and causing more spillage than Roo could...

Don't get me wrong I think Roo would do better at FF than Kosi but I think it is better for the team as whole to have Roo at CHF and Kosi at FF rather than the other way around.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Solar wrote:but he could kick 100 if he didn't get the yips and we used him well....)
Whats better Roo at FF kicking 100 goals having no influence up the ground? Kosi maybe kicking 20 to 30 odd from CHF

Or Roo at CHF kicking 70 goals and having an effect all over the ground? Kosi getting maybe 40 or 50 odd at FF and causing more spillage than Roo could...

Don't get me wrong I think Roo would do better at FF than Kosi but I think it is better for the team as whole to have Roo at CHF and Kosi at FF rather than the other way around.
I can't see roo kicking 70 at CHF and kosi kicking that many at FF... thats all....

as we always say, it's all about a group of players in the forward line but roo playing deeper is better then kosi playing deeper. Will be interesting to see how gilbo goes

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
I'm happy for you? Doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

(one of) Roo's strength(s) is his ability to push up the ground and help out.

Stick him at FF and he won't be nearly as influential.
and if starts from the goal square then he is always in goal kicking range when he does get it. Right now he marks it on the wing, looks up and has nothing to kick too....

FQF
In richo I trust

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: I can't see roo kicking 70 at CHF and kosi kicking that many at FF... thats all....
Short memory

Roo Goals

2004=67
2006=60
2008=65

From CHF it's very feasable that he gets close to 70 at CHF if you think he would get close to 100 at FF, Kosi kick 30 goals from FF last year despite playing the bulk of the second half in the ruck. To me a output of 70 and 40 goals is very reasonable.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As many have said, what is your alternative? Last night hardly enlightened us to any natural talents that perhaps have gone undetected?

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

What's the alternative you ask ?
Anybody is the answer.
Kosi kicked 30 goals last year. Not good enough to have his name etched in the full forward hall of fame. Get adventurous !
Put Roo at full forward, put Goose at full foward, put Gilbert at full foward, put Mickey bloody mouse there. Just change the damm set up. It don't work!

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

the sad fact is if you move Roo to FF who is going to kick it to Roo?
ROo has a better tank than Kosi, travels a huge amount of ground during a game and while he is 100% fit he is the better option at CHF.
Kosi to swap ruck work with King, the caveat is I dont see him as a ruckman either, he is just not a very good ruckman. But I would love to see more goals from him in '09.
The sad thing is we have no one else. I would have persevered with Charlie Gardiner one more year. Some are saying Lynch is the future but he needs to have an impact this year.
Many many people were calling for McEvoy to get games last year, but against no real opposition he was just so so. I dont think he is quick enough for a KP, and I dont think his speed will change.
We have the same problem with S Fisher, move him out of the backline and you lose back half rebound.

Seeya
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

OK. He's not a ruckman and IMO he's no full forward. Why is he playing ?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote:OK. He's not a ruckman and IMO he's no full forward. Why is he playing ?

Again it's because he is the best WE HAVE!!!!!! He again is better than the FF from a lot of sides (not all of them),

1. Maguire has been used forward several times over the years and was useless
2. Did you see gilbert play forward on friday it's not his posi.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh enough already, all these posts already having a go at our players is really bugging me. Do me a favour, and wait until at least round one for your negative input :cry:

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

If he's THE BEST WE HAVE. then we have no where to go.
Prove me wrong Kosi. I hope you do.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gee the season is still a month away and we've got a call to drop Kosi to the two's...

surely a record... :roll:

atleast Dal played last night to get his haters ball rolling... :?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Full Forward. My backside.

Longwayfromhome wrote:If he's going to play in the seniors he must play on ball. Interchange with King every 12 minutes and no more.
Time to find a full forward.
agree. RL is on record last season as saying he sees kosi's best position in future as second ruck.

that means we're in desperate need of a second key forward.

gilbert is obviously one candidate for the role and, going by last night bj and raph clarke might be others.