NAB Cup v Brisbane - Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_craig wrote:BJ's playing golf isn't he?
Yep apprently and Joey, Chips and Kosi are coming back to Melbourne to watch their horse run.
you probably overuse sarcasm, but everyone now and then you come out with pearls like that one :wink:
Yeah..i'll pay that one as well...

:roll:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
STK2009
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Gram01 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Joey's not playing.
source?
If Saint Bev said that Joey aint playing, Joey aint playing !!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Eastern :lol: But Joey told me this morning at training. Nothing serious, an ankle tweek, he said they arn't prepared to risk anything at this stage of the season. Especially as there is a break next week. Made me wonder if Goose will play (my thoughts only). Pretty sure he's not flying back to Melb, as he said, see you Sunday. (our function)

The full squad came up which made us very happy. Six players didn't train properly Roo, Max, Joey, Schnider, Gram & Armatage. They were on the bikes for quite a while then they did quite a bit of boxing. Then they just sat back and watched.

Everyone else did the full session, Lenny and Ball looked good. Also Tom Lynch looked fine. Forgot to ask if he was playing but he looked as though he would? Gilbert will play, but they will play the kids.

The players are very lean, they all looked good and enthusiastic.

They trained for two hours, all the various drills. The weather is still forcast to rain Sat night.
they do look good, however i would be surprised if grammy plays.

would be very interesting to see if tommy lynch gets a kick.

ray farren will undoubtedly play.

would like to see schneids and milney working together around kosi.

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

Given that Black, Brown & Bradshaw aren't playing...

i'd expect our line up to win.

even dispite the absence of Haynes, Hudgton & Rooey.

looking forward to this game.
hopefully see the back-line function well with new inclusions...

PS. How good is it that the footy is back!!!!

Go Saints.

go saints!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see that lineup play, I really don't care if we win or lose but it would be great to see how that list could hold up..

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i really expect kosi to kick a bag on the lions young defensive kpp's...cause hell...they ain't looking too flash

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintbart
Club Player

Kosi is now in serious doubt...

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Kosi..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Poor bugger just can't get it right can he :(

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I know its a yearly tease with this bloke but he really is the unknown with this side. Hes capable of being a match winner (not all can say that) and then capable of not being sighted....

This is why I like Lyon. He KNOWS it, he knows what hes gonna get from Riewoldt and to get to a GF he KNOWS its the Kosi's that can make or break the year and its why hes talking about Kosi bridging the gap between best/worst performances.....IF we can get a Kosi/Roo functioning as a team.....look out Buddy/Roughy.........

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I know its a yearly tease with this bloke but he really is the unknown with this side. Hes capable of being a match winner (not all can say that) and then capable of not being sighted....

This is why I like Lyon. He KNOWS it, he knows what hes gonna get from Riewoldt and to get to a GF he KNOWS its the Kosi's that can make or break the year and its why hes talking about Kosi bridging the gap between best/worst performances.....IF we can get a Kosi/Roo functioning as a team.....look out Buddy/Roughy.........
imo (call it dillusion) however i believe if our two can fire for a year the flag is ours...it means our mids are getting the pill first...doing the things that we are good at...hard clearance work...long kicking from our designated movers...

thats not to say everything goes right cause in a season issues always arise...however kosi really holds the key

and plus which...mobile talls dont really get into it until the second half of their career...i.e petrie

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Teflon wrote:I know its a yearly tease with this bloke but he really is the unknown with this side. Hes capable of being a match winner (not all can say that) and then capable of not being sighted....

imo (call it dillusion) however i believe if our two can fire for a year the flag is ours...it means our mids are getting the pill first...doing the things that we are good at...hard clearance work...long kicking from our designated movers...

thats not to say everything goes right cause in a season issues always arise...however kosi really holds the key

and plus which...mobile talls dont really get into it until the second half of their career...i.e petrie
I agree SP - look what Buddy/Roughead firing meant to Hawthorn?

Just imagine a Roo/Kosi mix that functioned to a similar level???

Wed be very tough to beat BUT IMO in the crunch games against Hawks/Cats....its the midfield we were murdered...that prelim against Hawks I sat there and just watched ball after ball being taken away by Lewis/Mitchell/and that othetr skinny hawthron rat with cr@p hair and thought...."kill for a Luke Ball now..."...its why I was excited about getting Cousins...

IF we get our midfield right and these up fwd fire.....we have the talent.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

I agree SP - look what Buddy/Roughead firing meant to Hawthorn?

Just imagine a Roo/Kosi mix that functioned to a similar level???

Wed be very tough to beat BUT IMO in the crunch games against Hawks/Cats....its the midfield we were murdered...that prelim against Hawks I sat there and just watched ball after ball being taken away by Lewis/Mitchell/and that othetr skinny hawthron rat with cr@p hair and thought...."kill for a Luke Ball now..."...its why I was excited about getting Cousins...

IF we get our midfield right and these up fwd fire.....we have the talent.
we have done well imo in kpp drafting and its set us up also with the taller players (non-kpp but tall enough) able to play kpp if needed

rough/bud combo assisted them to a flag

however i believe that our combo could be better...

kosi/roo cannot do it all though...our defeciency has been in the middle for a long time now...it needs to improve and markedly...i believe it has and will through both natural improvement plus the obvous positional changes

Batnoe

The Roughead Franklin combo brought them 170+ goals or there abouts, if we can get Roo and Kosi kicking 85 goals each we will win the flag

Milne is still capable of kicking 40 goals if the other 2 kick that amount, Schneider could bob up with over 30, plus if Gilbert is our 3rd tall i can see him kicking 30 + goals as well

Our mids will always chip in with the occasional goal

if those players kick that for the year that is an average of 14 goals per game from 5 main goal scores plus who else scores so if we can score 16-17 goals a game we should win the whole lot, plus we are capable of having an X Clarke, Gram, Goddard, Armo kicking goals from the middle .

the key is getting 170 goals out of the 2 bigger guys

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Well thats a surprise. I didn't see a thing a training and I was there the whole time and standing right next to where the players come on and off. He was there at the end of trainging, certainly didn't look injured, was moving freely? But it must be right, so I'm guessing just very minor.

In reply to what someone said earlier, Grammy won't play. They said anyone with anything minor will not play, thats what makes me think they won't risk Goose, but as I said, they are just my thoughts.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:The Roughead Franklin combo brought them 170+ goals or there abouts, if we can get Roo and Kosi kicking 85 goals each we will win the flag

Milne is still capable of kicking 40 goals if the other 2 kick that amount, Schneider could bob up with over 30, plus if Gilbert is our 3rd tall i can see him kicking 30 + goals as well

if those players kick that for the year that is an average of 14 goals per game from 5 main goal scores plus who else scores so if we can score 16-17 goals a game we should win the whole lot, plus we are capable of having an X Clarke, Gram, Goddard, Armo kicking goals from the middle .

You cant kick goals if you dont win the midfield battle - Cats/Hawks showed us that.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I'd love Kosi to kick 80 goals but do we forget how many he kicked last year because it is a new season. He isnt the type of player who could get near 80 goals because he isnt a natural forward. To kick that many goals you must be able to lead and he cannot. He is a pack marking forward and that type will never get 80 in a season. We should be hoping to get 50 out of him and spread the load with other forwards.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

We have plenty of our top line out

Surprised by the hype about the squad (by a few in this thread)

but it is a new season.

saint4life
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I'd love Kosi to kick 80 goals but do we forget how many he kicked last year because it is a new season. He isnt the type of player who could get near 80 goals because he isnt a natural forward. To kick that many goals you must be able to lead and he cannot. He is a pack marking forward and that type will never get 80 in a season. We should be hoping to get 50 out of him and spread the load with other forwards.
from last year we still should look to get 60+ out of roo and milne...

if we got the same out of them, plus an increased output from kosi, schneider, gram and bj we will be up there

alas that all depends on getting the pill out first...and at times we have been shocking at it

sainter35
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Batnoe wrote:The Roughead Franklin combo brought them 170+ goals or there abouts, if we can get Roo and Kosi kicking 85 goals each we will win the flag

You cant kick goals if you dont win the midfield battle - Cats/Hawks showed us that.
We don't get anywhere near enough goals from our midfield.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Mentioned it was a very poor squad.

Surpried so many early in thread were OMG OMG how good do we still look with such and such out.

saint4life