Saintsational Bushfire relief fund.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HarveysDeciple

Saintsational Bushfire relief fund.

Hi everyone.

Just following up an idea that SENsational pm'd me this afternoon.

He suggested we organise our very own bushfire relief fund for the victims of this tragedy and I think it;s a wonderful idea.

Basically people can arrange the transfer of funds in the same way that our official player sponsorship is organised.

Mr Magic I belief has put his hand up again to take care of the money and hold it for us just as he has done with SS player sponsorship fund.

So what do people think?

It gives an opportunity for those interested to put a donation forward, most of us at least knows someone who has been directly affected by these fires.

A tremendous cause.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Whilst in no way am I discouraging any effort to help the bushfire victims there are already a number of avenues available if folks want to donate. The Red Cross relief fund for starters (www.redcross.org.au). I applaud the thought, but is there really a need to roll our own?

GrumpyOne

With respect..... No.

Already enough avenues to give, and with the Government warning all against bogus charities seeking donations towards bushfire relief, we might find ourselves the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I also want to say a no to this for another reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you donate to the Red Cross, or Salvos, isn't it Tax Deductible?

I can't see how we can quickly whip up a collection that has Tax Deductibility.

I also agree with Grumps and ST DAC's other issues....

EDIT: I just checked the Red Cross website, and all donations to the Bushfire fund are tax deductible, and ALL money collected goes to the relief effort (ie. zero admin costs). The money is held in a Victorian Government Trust Fund, and an independent board will administer the fund.

....so zero financial gain for the Red Cross......just the way we'd all like donations to work!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 10 Feb 2009 8:56pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

commonwealth bank and red cross

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
GrumpyOne

saintspremiers wrote:I also want to say a no to this for another reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you donate to the Red Cross, or Salvos, isn't it Tax Deductible?

I can't see how we can quickly whip up a collection that has Tax Deductibility.

I also agree with Grumps and ST DAC's other issues....

EDIT: I just checked the Red Cross website, and all donations to the Bushfire fund are tax deductible, and ALL money collected goes to the relief effort (ie. zero admin costs). The money is held in a Victorian Government Trust Fund, and an independent board will administer the fund.

....so zero financial gain for the Red Cross......just the way we'd all like donations to work!
I hope that tax deductability wasn't your only criteria for donating.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I wasn't thinking about tax deductibility when I made the suggestion.

Nor was I thinking about dodgy collectors, which is valid also. Not that scumbags like that bare thinking about.

My son's school today raised $1200 with a whip around and my cricket club is planning something similar later in the week.

I guess the main thrust is, if you can donate, donate somewhere. If you choose to donate in the name of Saintsational, Mr Magic will ensure it is delivered to the rightful destination.

If you can, just donate where you can. Every little bit will help.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne

SENsaintsational wrote:I wasn't thinking about tax deductibility when I made the suggestion.

Nor was I thinking about dodgy collectors, which is valid also. Not that scumbags like that bare thinking about.

My son's school today raised $1200 with a whip around and my cricket club is planning something similar later in the week.

I guess the main thrust is, if you can donate, donate somewhere. If you choose to donate in the name of Saintsational, Mr Magic will ensure it is delivered to the rightful destination.

Its good to see support coming from everywhere. Even my local dominatrix had a whip around.

HarveysDeciple

SENsaintsational wrote:I wasn't thinking about tax deductibility when I made the suggestion.

Yeah that's right, I guess if people want a donation made in the name of saintsational or there club this gives them that opportunity. But it's the donation that's the key, wherever it goes through.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

how about people buy extra season kids/adults tickets and donate them to bushfire relief. This way it will help both the club and and the bushfire victims.