Clash Strip

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

Clash Strip

I asked Archie about our designs of our clash strip here is what he said:

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... osts&t=666

Saints94
SS Life Member

Hey Archie,
What was the second choice behind our new clash jumper?.......... And how come we can't use the good old candy strip?

Hi Homework,

Our apparel provider ISC presented us with a number of options last year taking into account all of the factors that had been discussed, for example the fact we wished to retain our historical value and the various clash strip conditions from the AFL. Once this had been done, we saw there was little alternative but to select the current design. It is simple yet classy, stands out on the field and most importantly, it is of historical significance. I don’t know if you’ve seen any photos, but it’s actually the same jumper worn by our 1952 team, so it resonates strongly with our roots and was a clear winner in our eyes.

The candy stripe is dead and gone, for a while anyhow!

Go Saints!
Archie

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Thanks homework,

Yes it does make you wonder why b4e slammed this years clash strip and yet carries on about tradition doesn't it..

Any wonder b4e's grandfather is turning in his grave..

:roll: :roll:

Thanks again homework

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I honestly don't understand why the candy stripe becomes a training jumper. That means all who want to purchase one can, and whatever Collingwood think doesn't matter.

I'm sure the club would make a fair bit of money out of the purchases.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Saints wrote:I honestly don't understand why the candy stripe becomes a training jumper. That means all who want to purchase one can, and whatever Collingwood think doesn't matter.

The reson why we don't have the candy strip is because the sponsoers logo don't stand out and they didn't like it at the time.

They could have it available for the fans though, I think it would be a seller.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saints94
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:
Moorabbin Saints wrote:I honestly don't understand why the candy stripe becomes a training jumper. That means all who want to purchase one can, and whatever Collingwood think doesn't matter.

The reson why we don't have the candy strip is because the sponsoers logo don't stand out and they didn't like it at the time.

They could have it available for the fans though, I think it would be a seller.
On the back it would stand out

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

homework wrote:Hey Archie,
What was the second choice behind our new clash jumper?.......... And how come we can't use the good old candy strip?

Hi Homework,

Our apparel provider ISC presented us with a number of options last year taking into account all of the factors that had been discussed, for example the fact we wished to retain our historical value and the various clash strip conditions from the AFL. Once this had been done, we saw there was little alternative but to select the current design. It is simple yet classy, stands out on the field and most importantly, it is of historical significance. I don’t know if you’ve seen any photos, but it’s actually the same jumper worn by our 1952 team, so it resonates strongly with our roots and was a clear winner in our eyes.

The candy stripe is dead and gone, for a while anyhow!

Go Saints!
Archie

"Hi Homework"? You addressed your mail to Archie as "Homework"? muhahahahaha :D . Sorry, if thats your real name, but I reckon Im pretty safe :D Carn Saints!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Good question homey.

Not totally satisfied by AF's answer. What are the "conditions" he mentions?

I not huge on the fat jumper - it's not "classy", as AF puts it - but I loved the candy stripe, which seemed to garner everyone's approval and was clearly our best away kit since the hot cross bun.

Anyway, while he's there it's obviously gone. Maybe there is an AFL-enforced reason for that, which I'd also like to know. Maybe the club just doesn't like it.

I would also like to know that IF Bev is correct and it didn't look good for sponsors, why couldn't he just say that?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We're all entitled to our opinions but I agree with AF, it's traditional and

pay's homage to our heritage, a good overall jumper. The candy stripe

jumper is gone, we have to get over it! Didn't hear supporters before

asking why can't we have a traditional clash like Collingwood or

Essendon? Now we have one and frankly I think we're lucky to have it.

I've also heard supporters asking why the club didn't try to be at least a

little bit creative. Well, just look at the 07/08 clash top...I rest my case.

Raven
Club Player

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... osts&t=463

Here's a similar question I asked Archie recently for reference. It was pretty much to do with sponsors and poor sales at the time.
Hi Nick,

The Club will not be reproducing this specific one-off guernsey. We understand that it was popular, (although not reflected in sales volume during its life), from a sponsor point it was terrible as you couldn’t see the sponsor's names/logo clearly on TV. You will have to keep your eyes on other those sources if you want to score one for your collection.

But the Candy stripe is gone, never to return, sorry!

Go Saints!
Archie

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think Archie was more honest to you, raven.

I am surprised - a bit skeptical - that he claims it didn't sell, especially when you compare it to how many Faded Aprons you see around (none) - yet everyone seemed to have a candy stripe!

But the sponsor thing perhaps makes more sense from a commercial perspective, as they are important to keep happy. Although, in truth, I remember thinking that Bill Express's red looked very in tune with the jumper and was quite identifiable as a 'brand'.

Disappointing that commercial considerations have overruled the wishes of the fans, but as has been discussed in other threads, I suppose this is just the evolution of football and we have to swallow it.

:shock:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clash Strip

homework wrote:I asked Archie about our designs of our clash strip here is what he said:

i can't open that site...please post what he said on here......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clash Strip

stinger wrote:
homework wrote:I asked Archie about our designs of our clash strip here is what he said:

i can't open that site...please post what he said on here......
Mate, homework has already posted what he said.

It just under the post you quoted :idea: lol

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
redemption

evertonfc wrote:I think Archie was more honest to you, raven.

I am surprised - a bit skeptical - that he claims it didn't sell, especially when you compare it to how many Faded Aprons you see around (none) - yet everyone seemed to have a candy stripe!

But the sponsor thing perhaps makes more sense from a commercial perspective, as they are important to keep happy. Although, in truth, I remember thinking that Bill Express's red looked very in tune with the jumper and was quite identifiable as a 'brand'.

Disappointing that commercial considerations have overruled the wishes of the fans, but as has been discussed in other threads, I suppose this is just the evolution of football and we have to swallow it.

As AF said, the guernsey is from the 1952 Club guernsey, so has an historical connection. Also, If we have a player reach a milestone or play in a significant match wearing this guernsey - for ever will it be recognised as a St.Kilda guernsey in photos. It also makes for a pretty decent signature jumper!

Give it time - it will look very good on match days.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

redemption wrote:

As AF said, the guernsey is from the 1952 Club guernsey, so has an historical connection. Also, If we have a player reach a milestone or play in a significant match wearing this guernsey - for ever will it be recognised as a St.Kilda guernsey in photos. It also makes for a pretty decent signature jumper!

Give it time - it will look very good on match days.
I totally agree with you.

The Club is looking at OUR History and have chosen a good clash strip and is focused on TRADITION. GET THAT! .....TRADITION...

Sorry, that was for some numbskull that thought the Club was not doing that. God forbid, I know just why some posters ancestor is turning in his grave.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I reckon Archie could take a dump, show you the skid marks on his jocks... and you'd still be suspicious that he really only took a leak. :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
I reckon Archie could take a dump, show you the skid marks on his jocks... and you'd still be suspicious that he really only took a leak. :roll:
Very nicely put WJ42 - yes i'd be looking around the bowl for evidence too