Archie Fraser link to GC17?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Archie Fraser link to GC17?

Did anyone else read the little article in yesterday's paper by Hutchy that there were rumours Archie has been approached to join GC17?

Can anyone shed any light?

Might be a good career move for him!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

That was suggested over a year ago, also.

Hadnt heard anything recently though.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

The article mentioned that Archie was on GC17's list for potential CEOs together with others including the CEO of the GCCC who would be the favourite because of his local knowledge.
I think this was reported some months ago (Hutchy's proberbly short of news items to stir about) and Archie stated he wasn't interested as "he had a job to do at StKilda.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:The article mentioned that Archie was on GC17's list for potential CEOs together with others including the CEO of the GCCC who would be the favourite because of his local knowledge.
I think this was reported some months ago (Hutchy's proberbly short of news items to stir about) and Archie stated he wasn't interested as "he had a job to do at StKilda.
That dick Hutchy wouldn't know his arse from his mouth

saintm
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
Go Sainters Go wrote:The article mentioned that Archie was on GC17's list for potential CEOs together with others including the CEO of the GCCC who would be the favourite because of his local knowledge.
Was actually in Scot Palmer's column (don't know if that is more credible or not!!) - apparently it is thought that the AFL would prefer a current CEO to take on the Gold Coast team and Archie's was among the names mentioned, and I think, the only current CEO, with Brian Cook having already turned down the job.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Archie did state in an Ask Archie a while ago that he had been approached, but confirmed his patriotism to st kilda...

However, being on a Saints forum, he's not going to say much else than that...

snippa
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
Same stuff comes out both ends...

I am the king of the divan
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

well he talks out of his arse and just uses his mouth for silly grins.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Does this mean he'll try to relocate them to their heartland of Seaford?

Maybe he's got a prime location picked out in western queensland somewhere?

ha ha ha - just kidding around...

All jokes aside though - what is closer to moorabbin, Seaford or Birdsville?

Look again it's the Flash!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Should'nt that be which is closer to St.Kilda!

casey scorp
Club Player

CEO of GCCC is Dale Dickson who played 86 matches (56 for Melbourne from 1982 to 1986 and 30 for the Brisbane Bears from 1987 to 1989).

He is also a member of the Bid Team for GC17, and a Board member of the GCFC.

He has both a football background and management experience, as well as local knowledge.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:Does this mean he'll try to relocate them to their heartland of Seaford?

Maybe he's got a prime location picked out in western queensland somewhere?

ha ha ha - just kidding around...

All jokes aside though - what is closer to moorabbin, Seaford or Birdsville?
Maybe he likes the seaside :wink:

RBnW
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:
CEO of GCCC is Dale Dickson who played 86 matches (56 for Melbourne from 1982 to 1986 and 30 for the Brisbane Bears from 1987 to 1989).

He has both a football background and management experience, as well as local knowledge.
Now wouldn't that be a great thing for the Gold Coast 17 to have a Council CEO running thier footy club..... :roll: :roll:
your obviously a mate of his... :wink:
Could you imagine what chance the CEO of Casey, Bayside or Melbourne City Council would have of getting the job as CEO of an AFL Club in Melbourne.... :?:
What are the AFL thinking about tell me this is a joke :!:
FFS they need to have a footy person not some ex-player who played in thew 80's who is now a council CEO...... :? :?
Still if Dimwit wants it, it will happen.... :roll:
And if that means that we are more stable then is good for us as a club... :D :D

Our best is yet
to come......
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

Now wouldn't that be a great thing for the Gold Coast 17 to have a Council CEO running thier footy club..... :roll: :roll:
Could you imagine what chance the CEO of Casey, Bayside or Melbourne City Council would have of getting the job as CEO of an AFL Club in Melbourne.... :?:
FFS they need to have a footy person not some ex-player who played in thew 80's who is now a council CEO...... :? :?
And if that means that we are more stable then is good for us as a club... :D :D
You should pipe up more often on these subjects, RBnW.

You seem to have a gripe with council CEOs. Any reason why?

Some of them are pretty passionate about footy. Some are pretty passionate about this club, or so it would seem.

And by the way, while you're here, how's Archie travelling as our CEO? I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

RBnW
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
RBnW wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

You should pipe up more often on these subjects, RBnW.

Some of them are pretty passionate about footy. Some are pretty passionate about this club, or so it would seem.

And by the way, while you're here, how's Archie travelling as our CEO? I'd be curious to know your thoughts.
No gripe with council Ceo's....just find it strange that Casey Scorp who is a council worker (based on some of the detail re puts out on here he must be) was backing someone he knows for a position as an AFL Ceo....would you be happy if we appointed a Council Ceo it the Saints :roll: ....based on my dealings with council's I dont know why they would get past first base if they applied for an AFL position.... :oops: :oops:
Being passionate about footy or even our club may not be quite enough... :shock:
If your hot water is not working you get a plumber.... :roll:
How is Archie travelling as our Ceo.... :?:
How do you measure that... :?:
If the barometer is based on the severity of your posts on him then maybe he is doing better that he has over the past few years..... :shock:
All I know is that it is good to have stability at the club with the coach, president and ceo.... :)
There were times over the past few years when I have agreed with what you have said about him, as you appear to have a fair amount of inside knowledge on the club and it's workings.....but latley, well at the end of last year and in the off season we appear to be going ok....given he is the ceo he must have something to do with that.... :!:

Our best is yet
to come......
casey scorp
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:CEO of GCCC is Dale Dickson who played 86 matches (56 for Melbourne from 1982 to 1986 and 30 for the Brisbane Bears from 1987 to 1989).

RBnW wrote:Now wouldn't that be a great thing for the Gold Coast 17 to have a Council CEO running thier footy club..... :roll: :roll:
FFS they need to have a footy person not some ex-player who played in thew 80's who is now a council CEO......
evertonfc wrote:You should pipe up more often on these subjects, RBnW.

RBnW wrote: No gripe with council Ceo's....just find it strange that Casey Scorp who is a council worker (based on some of the detail re puts out on here he must be) was backing someone he knows for a position as an AFL Ceo....
Go back and read my post again. You are an absolute twit if you interpret it as backing anyone for any job.

The original article apparently said that the GCCC CEO had the inside running because of his local knowledge.

I just did some google searching and came up with a few other relevant facts. If you don't think that having an VFL/AFL football playing background or managing a $1.2 billion business are relevant then so be it, but don't shoot the messenger.

Yes, I've met Dale Dickson a couple of times, but I wouldn't know him well enough to be touting him for the job. But his background would certainly prick interest in any objective person I would think.

However, I’d doubt he was that interested other than for a different experience maybe. AFL footy clubs run budgets from around $25 million up to around $50 million, whereas local government budgets are far greater.

You must be somewhat jaded in your outlook to unload in the way you have just because I presented a few facts.

Get a bit of perspective.

jays
Club Player

this is just rumor

karnak
Club Player

I have a gripe with councils, governments and public workers.

If you've got experience in the public sector then it counts for nothing, zero, zilch period.

There is no point arguing with me because you're wrong, if you're a CEO from any council then you couldn't run a bath.

Get out into the private sector where you get voted by shareholders, not constituents who know zero on how to evaluate a worthwhile performance.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

karnak wrote:I have a gripe with councils, governments and public workers.

If you've got experience in the public sector then it counts for nothing, zero, zilch period.

There is no point arguing with me because you're wrong, if you're a CEO from any council then you couldn't run a bath.

Get out into the private sector where you get voted by shareholders, not constituents who know zero on how to evaluate a worthwhile performance.
ooooh SNAP!!

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Intersting position, karnak.... I'm just about to find out how correct (or not) you are.
After spending the vast majority of my working life in the private sector (either as a carpentry sub-contractor, or running my own manufacturing business); I'm about to step into the public sector.

I'm taking on a supervisory role with Mackay Regional Council in their new Building Maintenance Dept. I'll be resposible for ensuring all of the council's (brick & mortar) assets are adequately and efficiently maintained.

AFAIC those assets belong to the ratepayers (not the councillors), and I'm determined to see their monies are not wasted.

eg: The City Library needs new carpet.
I can get new carpet supplied and installed for $15,000 but it'll only last 10 years maximum.
Another supplier offers a 30 year guarantee on carpet, but the supply/install cost is $35,000.

What would you do?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:

Intersting position, karnak.... I'm just about to find out how correct (or not) you are.
After spending the vast majority of my working life in the private sector (either as a carpentry sub-contractor, or running my own manufacturing business); I'm about to step into the public sector.

I'm taking on a supervisory role with Mackay Regional Council in their new Building Maintenance Dept. I'll be resposible for ensuring all of the council's (brick & mortar) assets are adequately and efficiently maintained.

AFAIC those assets belong to the ratepayers (not the councillors), and I'm determined to see their monies are not wasted.

eg: The City Library needs new carpet.
I can get new carpet supplied and installed for $15,000 but it'll only last 10 years maximum.
Another supplier offers a 30 year guarantee on carpet, but the supply/install cost is $35,000.

What would you do?
I think his point is that many on Council are elected more so because we have compulsory voting.

People in general haven't a clue who they are voting for.

All we hear is genral stuff like "we stand for better roads and schools etc" without any real targets or objectives.

Decisions are driven more by politics and lobbyists as well as the innate need to hold on to power at all costs.

IMO this all adds up to a shonky process that doesn't always work in the public's interest.

If anything, councils and Govt's in general have the worst record of fiscal management know to man. And the buck stops with the CEO. If they can't manage a council, how would they manage company?

Have you noticed how many offers Peter Costello has had from the corporate sector??

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
casey scorp
Club Player

Good to see you’ve got an open mind on issues - able to weigh up the various arguments and make a reasoned decision. With a pre-determined position like that you’d make a great advocate for the Board.

I think you’d find there are many public sector workers who make a considerable contribution to the society you live in. But unfortunately you just seem to have a gripe with them.