Bakes vs Benny

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In 2009 has there not been some discussion that the AFL are going to tighten up on taggers???

If so then Bakes would have a hard task on Cousins.

Bakes fitness is also unkown.

I think back pocket will be more Bakes role in 2009.

In terms of Cousins and the rest of the Tigers midfield I would be hoping more that:
*Ball will be fully fit and firing
*Gram to become a true mid
*Dal to have a better year
*Lenny to be Lenny
*Ray to add running support

PLUS...some of Armo, Steven, Geary to step up.....with L Fisher beinga bit ofa wildcard in 2009.

BJ I still see setting up playasa backfielder. Hopefully Goose can be fit to free up Sam Fisher to be a free running and damging HB. If so then BJ and sam could set up a lot of midfield play for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bakes will give Cousins a hair cut and that will be the end for Cousins.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:In 2009 has there not been some discussion that the AFL are going to tighten up on taggers???
Is that rule for all CLubs or just the Saints?

If it's for all CLubs then the midfield will just become a 'shootout' between teh teams and those with the best 'in and unders' who can get the ball out to their 'outisde mids' will win the midfield battles.

As much as it effects players like Baker it waill also effect the 'stoppers' who made Dal's life so miserable this last season.

I would be more than happy to go into a 'midfield shootout' with Hayes and Ball getting the ball out to Dal and BJ under these new rules.

I believe that 4 would stack up favourably agianst any other team's 4, under the 'no-taggers rule'.

Our problems in 2008 weren't that we couldn't get our hands on the ball at stoppages, but that other teams recognized that Dal was our 'outside mid' of choice and 'sat on him'.

sainteronline

bakes vs cousins

the winner is

whoever gets to see it

PJ
SS Life Member

I don't think there has been any specific determination of how they are going to crack down on taggers.

So again we have a potential crack down that is up to each umpires interpretation - very GRAY - murky in fact.

Agree whole heartedly with Mr Magic if the rule applies to everyone and is implimented fairly - no probs.

This just smells really badly of another fad rule interpretation. As I stated earlier could be red hot for the first 3 or 4 games, then depending on whether the media like it or not it just slowly disappears.

I remember seeing towards the end of last season S King catching players taking posession of the ball in the ruck only for it to be called play on. So what happened to the rule that was red hot for a while in relation to this. Umps had a change of heart.

Bakes may or may not run fowl of this new rule because I believe he has been closely scrutinised for a while now and he has not been overly jumped on - well when he was playing anyway.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
sainteronline

PJ wrote:I don't think there has been any specific determination of how they are going to crack down on taggers.

So again we have a potential crack down that is up to each umpires interpretation - very GRAY - murky in fact.

Agree whole heartedly with Mr Magic if the rule applies to everyone and is implimented fairly - no probs.

This just smells really badly of another fad rule interpretation. As I stated earlier could be red hot for the first 3 or 4 games, then depending on whether the media like it or not it just slowly disappears.

I remember seeing towards the end of last season S King catching players taking posession of the ball in the ruck only for it to be called play on. So what happened to the rule that was red hot for a while in relation to this. Umps had a change of heart.

Bakes may or may not run fowl of this new rule because I believe he has been closely scrutinised for a while now and he has not been overly jumped on except by stafford,no wait that was stood on lol- well when he was playing anyway.

ctqs
Club Player

I hope whoever it is drives Cousins into the turf shoulder first and takes him out of the game. Or throws him into the fence. So long as its the same result. If that costs us a free kick or a 50? Pffft. :twisted:

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bakersgirl

its spelt steven not stephen, he's only 28, one of the best taggers in the game and he doesnt need to prove anything to anyone. he is a bloody champion. thats my opinion anyway.

i love bakes :)
kalsaint
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:Do you think Benny will last until June?

I'll worry about Round 1 matchups first, but probably not until March.
Unfortunately I suspect he will last and will do some damage against us. He should have been in the Saints line up.

We haven't managed our midfield strength over the off season to improve without Harvey. Will take another year of being down before any chance of improvement on 2008.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:In 2009 has there not been some discussion that the AFL are going to tighten up on taggers???

If so then Bakes would have a hard task on Cousins.

Bakes fitness is also unkown.

I think back pocket will be more Bakes role in 2009.

In terms of Cousins and the rest of the Tigers midfield I would be hoping more that:
*Ball will be fully fit and firing
*Gram to become a true mid
*Dal to have a better year
*Lenny to be Lenny
*Ray to add running support

PLUS...some of Armo, Steven, Geary to step up.....with L Fisher beinga bit ofa wildcard in 2009.

BJ I still see setting up playasa backfielder. Hopefully Goose can be fit to free up Sam Fisher to be a free running and damging HB. If so then BJ and sam could set up a lot of midfield play for us.
Personnally I would prefer Bakes to be a swingman in the mid field to assist our weakness. He could also be used as a potential negator in the same area (a la Glen Elliot years ago).

Bakes best games in the past have been when he has completed the stopping task with him getting much of the ball too.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency