Maguire endures the long, long wait

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:As for Goose,

maybe i'm incorrect but I think he was struggling as a back b4 he hurt himself.
i think the new rules hurt him really badly.

i could see him as a Cam Mooney type forward, a bit in the Hamil mould
Mate, Cam Mooney is the Cats number 1 mark for the Club...

and is less than 2 marks a match behind Roo

I really can't see Goose even being close to anything like a Mooney in marking

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

In fact if you look at Geelongs only loss, in the home and away season, it was against Collingwood, when Mooney just took the 3 marks and kicked 1 Goal. Nathan Brown murdered him that day.

If Goose can be anything like Mooney, that would be fantastic and an absolute bonus, but I have serious doubts

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Maguire has been ried in the forward line when he was fully fit and he was no good, his position was always CHB however now he may have to move to FB to allow a more mobile option play CHB...

Sam Fisher however has a lot of potential at playing forward, and I know some people will say it is robbing Peter to pay Paul but IMO it is an option worth exploring...

Look at it this way, Sam Fisher might be a 9/10 player in the backline while being a 7/10 player in the forward line, when you look at it like that it would be a stupid move to move Sammy Fisher up the ground, however what if you move Fisher to the forward line where he would be a 7/10 and play Raph in his position where he could be an 8/10 player. This would mean we wouldn't have to play Gwilt how is a 5/10 player as the third tall and we have improved our overall team lineup.

This is obviously a simplistic way of looking at it and I'm not saying it would work like this, all I am saying is that people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of Fisher playing in the forward line.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

I think goose would have low marking stats because he's told not to mark. If you put him up forward and told him to take the grab things could be quite different.

I remeber a few years back when we played Adelaide Gary Ayres saying St.Kilda's marking backs were their most impressive feature, Goose was a stand out that night.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think goose would have low marking stats because he's told not to mark. If you put him up forward and told him to take the grab things could be quite different.

I remeber a few years back when we played Adelaide Gary Ayres saying St.Kilda's marking backs were their most impressive feature, Goose was a stand out that night.
I understand that, but I have seen him a number of times over the years attempting to mark instead of punching the ball...

He may well be a good mark, but I would think nowhere in the same league as Mooney...

The suggestion of Goose playing FB, I would say no, based only on the fact that a few years ago he appeared to panic when so close to goal.

But, this may have changed, as I said my observations were a few years ago

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

wherever he plays... let's hope he makes a 100% recovery from an horrific injury.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:wherever he plays... let's hope he makes a 100% recovery from an horrific injury.
I Totally agree mate

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

Evidently I have greatly underesitmated Cam Mooney...
although I will say that I'm sure Goose's numbers would increase if he had the Geelong midfield infront of him

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:wherever he plays... let's hope he makes a 100% recovery from an horrific injury.
hear hear !!!!!!!

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

although I will say that I'm sure Goose's numbers would increase if he had the Geelong midfield infront of him
mate, as I mentioned this year...

You shut down Cam Mooney, you stand a great chance in winning...

that was this year, next year could well be different ...

I really love the Goose and I hope he gets fit and finds a position.

If he has learnt from his previous experience at FB or near the goals, that would be tremendous, and a learning curve IMO...

A big factor of the Geelong midfield would have to be Cameron Ling....
His ability to "shut down" midfielders will be exposed next year IMO...

He has no pace, limited skills, but has endurance, something I see in Leigh Fisher, but Leigh has the youth to be a good option IMO

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
skeptic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

mate, as I mentioned this year...

You shut down Cam Mooney, you stand a great chance in winning...

that was this year, next year could well be different ...

I really love the Goose and I hope he gets fit and finds a position.

If he has learnt from his previous experience at FB or near the goals, that would be tremendous, and a learning curve IMO...

A big factor of the Geelong midfield would have to be Cameron Ling....
His ability to "shut down" midfielders will be exposed next year IMO...

He has no pace, limited skills, but has endurance, something I see in Leigh Fisher, but Leigh has the youth to be a good option IMO
Cameron Monney was not and is not the "key" to beating Geelong. The FACTS are their fwd line across the Board (see Stokes) struggled enormously GF day. Geelong are to good a side to be a 1 man band (usually reserved for saints...) - they are a very even team and the only way to beat them is to apply consistent pressure to their ball carrier EVERY play. Collingwood did this suprebly - Hawthorn also.

You are severly underrating Cameron Ling - to suggest he has limited skills is nonsense...theu guy has the ability to shut down AND create goals (something S Baker can only dream of). Ling is a superb player as is Sewell.

Cameron Mooney makes a contest up fwd for Cats and is an important player but hes nothing without the Geelong mid dominance and set up from their backs we've seen a lot of.

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agree that Geelongs attack struggled on GF day, but not mentioning Luke Hodge's role in that is harsh. Played one of THE great modern defensive games that day IMO (playing hurt) ...plus pushed into the midfield.

Cameron Ling is a great player. Did he not shut down Dal and kick 3 or 4 going the other way against us recently? (Yes I KNOW Dal doesnt shake tags well!)

No lack of skill, he was a handy on-baller before stepping up to that taggers role.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Every time Misson opens his mouth, I'm more and more impressed.

I don't know what it is, I just feel the boys are in such good hands with him.

He's always upbeat, always something positive with him.
I agree, mind you, it's not like we've ever had anything like a professional team before either.

But that's not to discredit Misson's excellent worth by any means.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Safe technique determine Maguires' future

"We're just making sure we're comfortable with his running technique … how he's hitting the ground and the forces coming back up through the leg." said Mission
Matthew will have to get his running, stopping-turning-bracing and leaping technique perfect to give himself a chance of building back a strong leg that avoids injury as best as he can help it- very difficult in the contact arena of afl. I remember the young Maguire amazing plenty of us with his daring leaps of faith but i believe he will have to somewhat reinvent himself and play a more conservative game.

Aim 1 is to play in such a way as he can end season 2009 unscathed.
Aim 2 will be to build on the new mental and physical approach he has practiced in 2009. If all goes well and he is in the groove again in 2010 his very presence will be helping the likes of Sam Fischer and Bj build the all important wall across defence that gives you a real chance of September success.

Take it patiently and carefully Matty.The more game time under the belt the better.
G O M A G S
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.