Allen to LTI?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Correct me if im wrong, but is there not a new rule (thanks to GC17) that states that a club can elevate 2 rookies (minus the amount of veterans outside the list) to play as of round one??

So this would mean that we could automatically elevate one rookie (Maxy being the -1 veteran), say for example, Zac Dawson, and then also have the potential to elevate a second into the place of Allen (Miles)...

Saintersss
Club Player

I wouldn't mind Zac being tried as a 3rd forward with Allen being injured.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I've tracked down the article which explains it all:

Jon Ralph | October 27, 2008 12:00am

AFL rookies will have greater opportunity to shine next year, with clubs able to automatically elevate a rookie halfway through the season. As part of the compensation for clubs giving away valuable draft picks to the Gold Coast, all 16 clubs will be allowed two extra rookies in the 2009-10 seasons.

In the past, clubs have had to put a senior-listed player on the long-term injury list for eight weeks to elevate a rookie.

That has seen the unfortunate situation where a well-performed rookie has had to return to the rookie list, and VFL footy, despite showing strong form in the AFL.

Starting next season, if a player has impressed enough a club can decide to elevate him irrespective of the club's injury list.

Clubs without two listed veterans can already nominate a rookie to play during the year, with Carlton rookie Michael Jamieson competing in 16 games last season.

The new ruling will give some clubs as many as two extra players on their list in the second half of the year.

It is another win for rookie-listed players, with some of the stars of the competition coming from the rookie list over the past decade.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Clubs are allowed to have maximum of 40 players available for selection.
Clubs must have 38 players on their senior list.
Clubs can choose if veterans are included in this 38 or not included, but due to their age veterans can not be rookies.
This means that the last 2 "available for selection" places have to be either "veterans not on the list" or "nominated rookies".

A player "available for selection" may be temporarily placed on the long term injured list for a minmum of 8 weeks if genuine, and then replaced by a temporarily promoted rookie.

Max Hudghton is a "veteran no on the list" not included in the 38 so St Kilda gets to have 1 "nominated rookie" available for selection place.
They will get another "nominatd rookie" place available for selection place mid way through the season.

It costs the club more money (but not against the salary cap) to promote rookies so they are normally only promoted when they are about to be selected in the 25 (22 players + 3 reserves).

I am not sure when nominated rookies have to be nominated.
I assume they wait until they are ready to be included in the 25 then get nominated.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.