rookie list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

rookie list

what about this guy? although collingwood and north are interested.

YUENDUMU and star Nightcliff recruit Liam Jurrah may well be the bargain basement buy of the AFL rookie draft.

The Northern Territory News understands the 19-year-old (pictured) from the indigenous community 300km north-west of Alice Springs has been hand picked as a key draft target by North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley.

Jurrah's services in the December 16 draft could turn out to be a tug of war with Melbourne also indicating interest in the player.

But the Kangaroos are fixed as firm favourites to nab Jurrah if he can have his draft nomination papers "rushed through" in time.

It is a startling revelation in the ruckman/forward's career after spending nine hugely successful months with Collingwood's Victorian Football League side before returning to Yuendumu to help the Magpies to an historic AFL Central Australian flag earlier this year.

He has since joined NTFL side Nightcliff and last week showcased his talents with an impressive six goal haul in the Tigers' 111-point mauling of the Tiwi Bombers.

Jurrah's likely exodus may come thanks to the help of Nightcliff's other Alice Springs connection Shaun Cusack.

Cusack, a distinguished player, coach and influential figure at both South Alice Springs and Yuendumu Football Clubs, ranks Jurrah "a real chance" of selection.

"If the paper work goes through, Liam will go," Cusack said.

While Jurrah cut his VFL experience short due to family commitments, there is no questioning his interest in returning to Melbourne where he could possibly link up with resident Alice Springs Kangaroo Matt Campbell.

"Liam wants to go, it's all he has been talking about the past couple of weeks," Cusack said.

"He wants to have another go."

As for Jurrah's potential to succeed, Cusack reckons it is a given.

"He is a 193cm forward who moves like a midfielder," Cusack said. "I don't think we have seen a talent like him for a while."

Jurrah and Cusack are unavailable for NTFL duties with the Tigers today but are confident of returning against Southern Districts next week.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Nah, too much of a gamble, probably wont want to stay in Melbourne...

My biggest hope for the rookie draft is Clancee Pearce, IMO he could be a Daniel Pratt type mid-sized defender who can beat his man and create opportunities from the back...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Tom Rockcliff sounds like a decent player..........

karnaby
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Nah, too much of a gamble, probably wont want to stay in Melbourne...
& what exactly did you base this comment on? Know him personally do you? You wouldn't be making a generalisation based on his race would you? Didn't your mother tell you that if you can't find something nice to say about someone that you might be better off saying nothing? :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Nah, too much of a gamble, probably wont want to stay in Melbourne...
& what exactly did you base this comment on? Know him personally do you? You wouldn't be making a generalisation based on his race would you? Didn't your mother tell you that if you can't find something nice to say about someone that you might be better off saying nothing? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Well, that was a really good way to make an idiot of yourself, it has nothing to do with race whatsoever, but as far as I have heard he is not entirely sure if he is 100% commited to playing football in Victoria, he comes from a very small close town in the NT and not surprisingly he misses home...

This isn't 100% fact, I have never met the guy or spoken to him personally but I have heard it from a few different people...

It is a sad reflection on society and you as an individual that a person can't make a comment about an aboriginal without it having to be about race... Give your self an uppercut, you're the truly racist one here...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
karnaby
Club Player

don't bother calling me a racist, thank you!

I think preceeding comments on this thread verify that I made no racist comments at all!!

Interesting that you now cite others as the source of your apparent knowledge. :wink:

As to your comment about society; It appeared very likely that your original comment was based PURELY on his race so to try to suggest that others shouldn't then pass further comment seems to be very precious!

Have a nice day!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Mate, your sig suits you to perfectly, it has absolutely nothing to do with his race, you're the one that assumed it had to do with race... If somebody had have said WCE shouldn't have drafted Judd because he might have wanted to return home is that about race? ofcourse not you clown... You fair dinkum have no idea!!

The fact is he played for Collingwood in the VFL (But was in noway listed to the AFL club) and he left halfway through the season and went up North to play for his local team...

I don't know if there were any other reasons behind this but IMO he is not worth the risk...

Also the guy who I have been praying St Kilda would rookie list is a guy called Clancee Pearce, he's aboriginal aswell so that kind of gets rid of the whole race issue doesn't it...

Seriously mate, shouldn't you be calling up talk back radio stations fighting against abortions, christmas and red pens in school or whatever so called 'issues' people like you are fighting about today!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Whoa! :shock:

Where did race or society come into this Karnaby? I think you've jumped light years ahead of yourself claiming Armoooo's original comments have any basis on race at all. A deep breath is definately warranted before you go flying into forumites over wildly misconceived comments.

karnaby
Club Player

armo

from the OP
saintly wrote: While Jurrah cut his VFL experience short due to family commitments, there is no questioning his interest in returning to Melbourne where he could possibly link up with resident Alice Springs Kangaroo Matt Campbell.

"Liam wants to go, it's all he has been talking about the past couple of weeks," Cusack said.

"He wants to have another go."
You then asserted (without any substantiation at all) that he probably wouldn't stay in melb.

I work with aboriginal people on a day to day basis (& recently have had dealings with people from Yeundumu). I have very often heard people alluding to stereotypes & this is exactly what I took your comment to be. Seemingly that is incorrect so I apologise. I also understand why you might be angry, however I did find your comments to be ott.

Again - have a nice day

zebraman
Club Player

Have to agree with Armooo....

There was nothing racist in his remark..and the insuation that he was, was a stereotype remark in itself....i have disagreements with a Jewish guy at work...does that me anti-semetic??

And Dean Bailey said that the fact that Jack Watts was already in Melbourne got him over the line from Natanui...now I'm guessing thuat at some stage Natuani wold have wanted to go home...I haven't seen Melbourne being accused of racism by not selecting Natanui....

I think the "going home" factor is going to become much more prevalent