WHY TAKE BEGLY!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

is he any relation to James Begley?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Begley has a chance of making it @ St. KILDA.

Probably still learning the subtleties of the game but his 30 odd Games (?)under lethal lee and the opportunity to learn under a more naturally defensive oriented coach (Lyon) will hopefully help him take the next step.
If he can hold down regular game time it will mean Brendan G. & Jason G. can further develope their contribution to he team. It also puts more competition for places in our backline and if succesful even our midfield thanks to the restructuring his success could bring about.
St.Kilda needs some midfield development and adding of new faces NOW and this was no doubt the thinking for 2009.

Can St. K. go one game better than 2008 and make a grand final?
YES WE CAN !

G O S A I N S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ive watched a bit of colm and he can play. im tipping he will become a saints fan favourite in 09.

we got a ruck because our rucks are old (kind and MG).

The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 9 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 03 Dec 2008 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:ive watched a bit of colm and he can play. im tipping he will become a saints fan favourite in 09.

The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 13 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
not all high drafts picks are stars so no use complaining about how we didnt take x, y or z

i would be happy with a solid ruckman in mcevoy...considering our failures with young ruckman i would be happy with a solid ruckman...hawthorn proved this...so did sydney....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:ive watched a bit of colm and he can play. im tipping he will become a saints fan favourite in 09.

The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 13 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
Ummm, because there were no guarantees that (a) there'd be a suitable young ruckman in this year's draft... and (b) even if there was, there's no guarantee that we'd get him.

If you're already making the call on McEvoy...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 13 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
Based on what?

Perlease. Ruckmen are notoriously difficult to rate early in their careers.

An argument therefore for....... taking a few and hoping that at least one makes the grade.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 9 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
Based on what?

Perlease. Ruckmen are notoriously difficult to rate early in their careers.

An argument therefore for....... taking a few and hoping that at least one makes the grade.
Agree - but thats why i reckon you are better using later picks on them. the high risk factor of rucks makes using high picks on them too risky to contemplate for my liking.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

The big question is why - oh why did we waste pick 9 on Mcevoy last year? He looks like being a HACK. Rhys Stanley will be better than Mcevoy. I'm prepared to lay bets on it.
not all high drafts picks are stars so no use complaining about how we didnt take x, y or z

i would be happy with a solid ruckman in mcevoy...considering our failures with young ruckman i would be happy with a solid ruckman...hawthorn proved this...so did sydney....
agree. all i want in a ruckman is someone durable and competitive - you dont need a star. i am happy with s king for instance - as the bulldogs are happy with ben hudson.

i just dont reckon you need to go high in a draft to get one. heck id have been happy with mark seaby for a 3rd rounder..

i reckon rhys stanley at 47 is a great selection. just not convinced a pick 9 on a ruck (unless they are a freak of nature) is very clever.

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

With the talk on that steele "tin ass"" sidebottom fella,you must remember a certain player picked in the first round also kicked 10 goals in a sanfl final...yes fergus watts...."Tin Ass"" aint guaranteed any success yet.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Halo-9 wrote:With the talk on that steele "tin ass"" sidebottom fella,you must remember a certain player picked in the first round also kicked 10 goals in a sanfl final...yes fergus watts...."Tin Ass"" aint guaranteed any success yet.
Agree. not sure why we are talking about him anyway when he was taken 11 and we did not have a pick until 13. Seems pretty irrelevant.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Another reason for getting Begley, if we do get any of the young Irishmen he will no doubt assist them to acclimatise to Australia.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

If Gram was released into the midfield he would have to improve his disposal by both hand and foot.

On most occasions Gram just goes the long bomb by foot, which either results in a 50/50 contest or a turnover.

I have seen it happen time and time again.

He really needs to focus and "lower his eyes" sometimes and look at the best option IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
davidgrantfan
Club Player

[b]Another reason for getting Begley, if we do get any of the young Irishmen he will no doubt assist them to acclimatise to Australia[quote][/b]

Yes, another plus for choosing Begley over the aging, badly behaved, melb player (who, by the way, was absolutely caned here on this forum by most forumites prior to the draft) . It is said that Mathews was surprised that Begley was offered up. Hopefully Colm will turn out to be Voss'es loss.

there was also radio talk that st kilda plans on turning Ireland into a future hunting ground...

Ppossibly quite a clever draft playout by St Kilda. Time will tell. Remember they say that only 15% of draft picks ever get to play 100 games., and we have a mainly young brood that could serve us well for years to come, and we'll need that with GC17 getting the "lions share" (and everyone elses) of picks from here on in.

Sean Dempster may be closer to playing next year than we might think, if we are to believe what Joey Montagna said today on SEN.

[/i][/quote]

"Even the most widely held opinions should never be regarded as an ultimate truth"...Science and Public Policy Institute USA.. on the subject of climate change.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Halo-9 wrote:With the talk on that steele "tin ass"" sidebottom fella,you must remember a certain player picked in the first round also kicked 10 goals in a sanfl final...yes fergus watts...."Tin Ass"" aint guaranteed any success yet.
I just hope for the young fella's sake that "Tin Arse" doesn't get injured, as he may get a bit rusty....

As for Begley, being Irish, I assume he can drink.

We need someone who can replace Big Frase in that department!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Fri 05 Dec 2008 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

davidgrantfan wrote:Another reason for getting Begley, if we do get any of the young Irishmen he will no doubt assist them to acclimatise to Australia

Yes, another plus for choosing Begley over the aging, badly behaved, melb player (who, by the way, was absolutely caned here on this forum by most forumites prior to the draft) . It is said that Mathews was surprised that Begley was offered up. Hopefully Colm will turn out to be Voss'es loss.

there was also radio talk that st kilda plans on turning Ireland into a future hunting ground...

Ppossibly quite a clever draft playout by St Kilda. Time will tell. Remember they say that only 15% of draft picks ever get to play 100 games., and we have a mainly young brood that could serve us well for years to come, and we'll need that with GC17 getting the "lions share" (and everyone elses) of picks from here on in.

Sean Dempster may be closer to playing next year than we might think, if we are to believe what Joey Montagna said today on SEN.

[/i]
just becuase dempster sted running doesn't make it that he will come back early . its 9 month rehab. and beginning to run, is only early days.

at amin, he won't play until june or july. by then he will have to go into the reserves for 4 weeks. band by then it will be august before he can make it into the afl side.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

did not watch any scorp games last year did you? the kid has very good hands and a long nice kick for goal. needs to learn the rucking side of the game but we all knew he was a forward come ruck. rucking needs to be done in pairs and hopefully stanley gives us the more tradtional ruckman who taps the ball and bigmac gives us a ruck AND forward option.

on begley, his delistment did raise some eye brows as he had been improving. as people have said it is one option we can do to fix the midfield, move BJ gram and even a gilbert or raph while begley and a returning dempster later in the year provides coverage

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
davidgrantfan
Club Player

"at amin, he won't play until june or july. by then he will have to go into the reserves for 4 weeks. band by then it will be august before he can make it into the afl side."

Even so, that still could put him (Dempster) playing next year, as opposed to the year after. I wish him all the best.

"Even the most widely held opinions should never be regarded as an ultimate truth"...Science and Public Policy Institute USA.. on the subject of climate change.
barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: WHY TAKE BEGLY!!!!

saintjake wrote:we have enough running defenders!!
he isnt going to help us if max goes down or goose never comes up
at least carrol helped us there.
but still if we wernt going to take carrol
why waste it on belgy, who, from what ive seen, doesnt really have much to offer.
why not take a punt, young player, who works hard and is a midfielder.
hird was pick 76 was he not?
and burns 90?
much better pick the begly in my eyes

AND WHY did we take, another bloody ruckman WITH OUR SECOND PICK!!! gahhhhhhhhh
we took bloody mcevoy with our first last year,

If you have a real good look at the ruckman we picked, I'll have five bucks on him to play more forward for us, kind of the opposite to Kosi, this is where he is at- ruckman in U/18, but forward option too
jsut relax with the rucks, its not like we are ever going to play to rucks in the one team
or not very often
were are we going to play kosi?
wasted pick
SHOULD OF BEEN A MID!!!
and i dont see why we took 2 players, who from what the paper says, play the same sort of position
i was shocked when we didnt take blease.
fast mid who can kick goals
IS THAT NOT WHAT WE HAVE BEEN BEGGING FOR!!!!

FFS st.kilda you do some crazy things sometimes,
i hope they pay off.

and god why did the filth get to get sidebottom:@:@:@:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Sam Blease would get knocked down by the wind, we were much better off with a strong aggressive third tall forward, which is arguably our weakest position...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
barneyboyz
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:
why waste it on belgy, who, from what ive seen, doesnt really have much to offer.
and burns 90?

If you have a real good look at the ruckman we picked, I'll have five bucks on him to play more forward for us, kind of the opposite to Kosi, this is where he is at- ruckman in U/18, but forward option too
jsut relax with the rucks, its not like we are ever going to play to rucks in the one team
or not very often
wasted pick
SHOULD OF BEEN A MID!!!
and i dont see why we took 2 players, who from what the paper says, play the same sort of position

i hope they pay off.

What the? I might be pissed, but I did write something!!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saintjake
Club Player

dean cox and jeff white both came from rookie lists didnt they?
both premire ruck men of the last 10 years.

Saints94
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:dean cox and jeff white both came from rookie lists didnt they?
White was #1 pick in 1995 :roll:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:dean cox and jeff white both came from rookie lists didnt they?
I think you're thinking of Cox and Sandilands maybe...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
and burns 90?

or not very often
wasted pick
SHOULD OF BEEN A MID!!!

i hope they pay off.

Why would you want Sidebottom? Because of one great game?

Because we have had a couple of Sidebottoms before?

I think we have done really well this week. The next 2 years will tell.
The filth get to get Sidebottom cos they get to use pick 11. U still don't get it. Geez dominated 1 game. How'd he go in the others?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

and burns 90?

or not very often
wasted pick
SHOULD OF BEEN A MID!!!

i hope they pay off.

Put your application in for recruiting manager.You might get paid more than what you get at Maccas