We won't will we ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

We won't will we ?

Tell me we won’t use our number 13 pick in the draft for Cousins. Now that there is talk of interest from Brisbane and WC we must not give up a Yarran, Swift or Johnston for a 30 year old.

Even picks 47 & 48 should be used on kids because lets face it our young brigade (22 and under) are very weak compared to other clubs.
Only Gilbert, Allen, McEvoy and Steven excite me with Armitage likely to be OK.
We have already traded pick 31 for a 4 year player.

If Cousins is around at 62 then take him but we must not compromise our longer term future by missing out on good kids.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Shades
Club Player

to get benny i think we may have to use 13 now that voss has put his hand up

saintly_safes
Club Player

There is not a snowmans chance in hell that we will take Ben Cousins at pick 13.Pick number 47 maybe but definately not pick 13.As much as I think Cousins would be ok the club is not that stupid to risk a first round pick in such an important draft. Well let's hope so ffs

Raven
Club Player

I though he didn't nominate for the national draft. I might be wrong though.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Raven wrote:I though he didn't nominate for the national draft. I might be wrong though.
I think he can go in either but I could be wrong as well

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
Raven wrote:I though he didn't nominate for the national draft. I might be wrong though.
I am pretty sure he can't nominate for either ATM....

He needs to get the okay from the AFL on Tuesday..

Then he will be able to nominate

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:
I am pretty sure he can't nominate for either ATM....

He needs to get the okay from the AFL on Tuesday..

Then he will be able to nominate
100% correct !!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Wednesday, November 12 (2pm) -- Draft nominations close.

Wednesday, November 19 (2pm) -- Delisted players nominate. (for preseason draft)

We will know by then...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Wednesday, November 12 (2pm) -- Draft nominations close.

Wednesday, November 19 (2pm) -- Delisted players nominate. (for preseason draft)

We will know by then...
So does that mean that he would be deemed ineligible to have nominated for the ND and it's just the PSD??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

national draft last chance to nominate is next wednesday.

pre-season he has until the 2nd or 9th of december.

busso mick
Club Player

According to an article by Digby Beacham in the West Australian today : "Nixon played down Brisbane's link to Cousins, who can be picked up only in next monht's pre-season draft after failing to nominate for the November 29 national draft."

The November 19 deadline is for delisted players, Cousins is a deregistered player, which technically is different.

Batnoe

he is worth our 4th rounder at best going forward. I wont be upset if we use 47 or 48 but would prefer not to

If he nominates the saints as preferred club we should pick him up 6th rounder...

nicola69
Club Player

Our only SURE chance to get him is if he nominates for the national draft and we use our first round draft pick.

I would use the first round pick to get him based on the following reasoning.

1. He is no more of a risk of failure than any other choice.

2. He has been a complete champion over the last 10 odd years. He has the record of an all time great. His last appearances in 2007 (last 7 odd games for the year) were sensational. Based on these and the fact that he has had an extended rest-up, I would think he still has it.

3. If he has 3 top years left in him which I reckon he has, then that is about as much as you can expect from any high draft choice. Let's face it, the teams turn over the majority of their players every few years at the most. Coaches who talk about five year plans are complete conmen - unless you allow that they are really saying that they are going to f*** it up two times before getting a good team together (e.g., Terry "the Dud" Wallace"). If you get a good team together you have one year, maybe two to win the flag. The Saints in '97 showed that - didn't quite get there and that was the one shot. Those Hawthorn teams that won so many flags in the 70's to the early 90's turned their side over again and again to find success. Even the Brisbane side that won the third of the 3peat was considerably different to the 1st of the trio of premierships.

Get Cousins, we made the prelim this year - against some expectations - if we're not close now, we may not be close for another the god-knows-how-long.

Every year we should try to get a combo that works. I can understand Lyon's clean-out. Just don't waste too many of the spots on teenagers who may never see the light of day or take 5 years to play 20 games before being delisted.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:Wednesday, November 12 (2pm) -- Draft nominations close.

We will know by then...
This is correct. Since Ben hasn't niminated for the national draft he is only able to be picked up in the pre season draft. So there's no need to speculate about whether he's going to be available at pick 13 or 47.

sax
Club Player

busso mick wrote:According to an article by Digby Beacham in the West Australian today : "Nixon played down Brisbane's link to Cousins, who can be picked up only in next monht's pre-season draft after failing to nominate for the November 29 national draft."

The November 19 deadline is for delisted players, Cousins is a deregistered player, which technically is different.
Here's the full article.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... tID=108238

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Happily take ben for no 13.
What far off future are you worried about?

If any team picks any player this year that is as good as ben it'll be blessed.

We came forth - we surely want to continue an upward march -which means getting the best we can for the immediate future.
I think after the current crop is gone in 5 years we'll have a bleak time ahead, but why blow a shot at a premiership to remain a mid rung team later on?

Look at our past few years of top picks - would you prefer any to ben?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We will not be using pikc 13 for Cousins.
We have it ear marked for Carroll.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

my guess, if cousins comes to the saints it will be via the psd, do not be suprised if carroll is selected as well. could free up chips while we develop our next generation of backman.

He will get picked up, so not sure why he would bother about the uncertainty of thenational draft. Also I doubt that any other team but the one he wants to go to would bother picking him. This is a VERY special case

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I will be unpleasantly surprised if we pick up Carroll.

jays
Club Player

we wont have to use pick 13 as if ben says he wants to play for saints and thats it no other clubs will go for him