Changes for Semi Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Changes for Semi Final

Eddy and Gardiner have to be outs. Xavier a maybe and Blake depending on injury.

Birss must come in, while Ferg would probably be the prefered replacement for Charlie. Xavier shouldn't have played today if we were ever serious about winning, but Lyon will probably stick with him and hope that he can regain some form.

Ball seems doubtful, and I've also just heard that Max may be injured.

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

yep i like Birss, honest player

Thoughts of Raph? What does he bring to our team? I mean really...

Armitage imo, another honest player

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

LaUrEnCe wrote:Thoughts of Raph? What does he bring to our team?
i thought he was one of our better players to be honest.

yes, he makes mistakes, but at least he takes risks and tries to get something going.

the ones who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do anything ... and we had a few of them today.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

with jb looking doubtful raph will have an important role

eddy was ok

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:with jb looking doubtful raph will have an important role

eddy was ok
eddy played a good game he layed 8 tackles and was one of our better players IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Does not look like we will have blake either.
Went off with a shoulder injury, didn't look to flash either.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

who do we play if we win next week,
Geelong or Hawks?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:who do we play if we win next week,
Geelong or Hawks?
Hawks

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Reckon there are 4-5 guys who struggle at that standard,but wont name names just yet,not until the dust settles.Birss Allen and Armo certainly must come into contention next week

C J hold your head high boy,well done

Batnoe

i wasnt impressed with X, i know he needed the run if he is to have an impact in this series but was totally underdone

Players that are up for consideration to be left out

X Clarke, MCQ, C Gardiner, Eddy, Gwilt and Blake if he is injured

I today thought Eddy played well and held his own, i also think we played better when MCQ was on the ground so i dont think they will be dropped

C Gardiner showed some promise but looked a bit slow against the cats... i really rate Gwilt but he didnt do much for me today i am afraid, i know when teams win the whole team looks good and when they lose the whole team looks bad, but these are the players that might make way

I really want to see Gwilt given another go, i would love it if Ferguson was given a run.

Jones really harrassed today and played well, did a run with role on Bartel and although Bartel had a lot of the ball, Jones was near him the whole time

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The extent of the KB injury seems serious. Some speculating that it's a broken wrist :(

Sam23
SS Life Member

Yeh X will play next week but surely we could've done without him, coming into a QF with no match fitness what so ever is silly.

Harvey, Riewoldt, Max and Blake all looked injured after the game according to 774 with Blake with dislocated thumb or broken hand.

Max apparantley OK but didn't play in the last quarter, Riewoldt didn't play for the last 20 minutes and apparently Harvey really sore.

That said the change that i think will happen are

Out; JB
In; Ferguson

Goddard.
nicko016
Club Player

I don't think we should be making too many changes. I'll be praying to god that Bally can come back, but apart from that I'd only be really looking at bringing in Birss. Of those that may go:

- X Clarke- I'd probably look at giving another go as he should be better for the run and has quite a bit of potential upside.

- C Gardiner- Was quiet, but so were all forwards and I thought he still managed to do a few things. And we definately need a 3rd option up forward and the alternative is Ferguson and as evidenced by X Clarke bring a player in with little match practise at AFL is fraught with danger.

- Eddy would be the one I'd most likely drop. While he tried hard and had an improved second half where he laid a few good tackles and did a few good things he lacks the body strength and doesn't find enough of the footy to justify being in when he lacks the body strength

- McQualter I would be keeping in. Didn't quell a player today like has in the past but didn't really have the opportunity to as he had a number of different roles

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

No chance of Raph being dropped. He gave a good contest in the air and ran the ball well from defence. He was also the only saints player to put his opponent down as they got rid of the ball (which Geelong were doing all day).

Charlie just doesn't do anything in big games. Sometimes it seems like he helps our forward structure, but ultimately I'd rather someone with some skill and footy smarts instead.

Eddy tires his guts out but in finals he's out of his depth. Needs to build up his core strength and often seems to be second to the ball. Birss is a much better option.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:with jb looking doubtful raph will have an important role

eddy was ok
eddy played a good game he layed 8 tackles and was one of our better players IMO
Eddy laying 8 tackles may have been because he was second to the ball, was over awed for mine...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FFS BIRSS HAS TO BE GIVEN A GO!!

Eddy out - Birss in

IF Ball is ok

C Gardiner out - (also depends on Blake) Im yet to see C Gardiner back up an appearance with a good game.

“Yeah….nah””
jackal
Club Player

Surely Armitage will be first inclusion. He seems to be named in the best in the McGoos and his style of footy should hold up under pressure.

derby Street
Club Player

Eddy turned the ball over a number of crucial times (And yes others did as well :roll: ) Tackles ? Put it this way there weren't too many chase from behind ones. Not sure what Mini gives us ahead of Birss.
X needed the run - can we afford to give him another chance?
Armitage - manages to get the ball heaps at Casey but can't do it at AFL level yet. Raph was O.K

Besides Birss (and hopefully Ball but I would suggest he won't be fit ) there's not much else to bring up with any great confidence. It would just be a case of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know what happened to Blake?? Looked to me like a broken wrist?? I can't recall seeing him come back out after he left the ground?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind Gards getting a game if he is deemed fit. King and Gardiner would provide a good powerful ruck combo and allow Kosi to play as a permanent target to take pressure off Roo, or he could even play as the loose man in defence,

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Blake?? Looked to me like a broken wrist?? I can't recall seeing him come back out after he left the ground?
dislocated shoulder?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I wouldn't mind Gards getting a game if he is deemed fit. King and Gardiner would provide a good powerful ruck combo and allow Kosi to play as a permanent target to take pressure off Roo, or he could even play as the loose man in defence,
Kosi cannot get a kick in the forward line so we dont need him there all game. Also lose flexibilty if both play. Cannot see it happening.

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: Kosi......................... could even play as the loose man in defence,
BLake going down is a real concern. Who goes back? gwilt? Perhaps Kosi should. hes a dead loss up front at the minute. But then who goes 2nd ruck?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I wouldn't mind Gards getting a game if he is deemed fit. King and Gardiner would provide a good powerful ruck combo and allow Kosi to play as a permanent target to take pressure off Roo, or he could even play as the loose man in defence,
That's what I'm thinking. Probably his last game for us so why not. I reckon Jack Steven will get a game, maybe Ferguson for Blake

Another opportunity awaits!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We overrate our lesser likes,realistically they're terrible !!

Outs
Eddy- Tries hard,his only positive,not up to it.
Mcqualter- No skills,no class,another battling tagger
Charlie Gardiner- No good
Blake -injured

Ins -Armitage FFS!! Form has been good in two's,knows how to kick a goal,we need some decent youth in the side
Birss- shouldn't have been dropped for Mcqualter (please let's stop calling him mini,thats an insult to the great man)
Ball- Hopefully
One of Allen/ferguson/G train(don't care if he's retired quietly,bring him back if he's fit)- Need a forward
Fiora- Would of looked tough if he played today compared to the other lot

Bring back the Lockett era