Max- where he's at- the Age article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Max- where he's at- the Age article

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/l ... 97570.html
Living life to the MAX
Emma Quayle | September 6, 2008
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Last Tuesday, Hudghton turned 32. Today, he will play for the 225th time in red, black and white and when Robert Harvey wanders away at the end of the Saints' season, he will lose his partner in "old-man training" - laps of the Moorabbin Oval slow enough to give them time to chat about their children, lives and the team - and be the oldest player at the club, the player who has survived and seen the most of its varied, recent phases.
>>>>>>>>>>>>......
As have his kids. Josh hasn't completely worked out what his dad does for a living yet, but knows enough to have asked Hudghton to track down a copy of his footy card. "I wouldn't know where to get hold of one, but he's starting to get into it," he said.

"I bring him and (three-year-old) Aaron down to the club as much as I can. I think it's great for them to spend time around the place, but they don't really understand what it is. Josh will watch the game and say, 'Daddy, I saw you fall over'. He'll say, 'I saw that man squash you', and I'll be, 'Yep ... yep ...
Hudghton may play on next year, but he might not - that decision is not one he feels either he or his club needs to make right now.

"To be honest, all I'm thinking about at the moment is training. Training, the first quarter of the game and then my first contest of the game," Hudghton said. "Of course, I've thought about it (retirement), but I haven't sat there and tried to decide what to do, because I don't need to do that yet
. :cry:

Just hang around a little longer Max- the young guys need you to teach tem this and more

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Maxy may call it a day after this season.....

But I'm ok with that, both himself and Harves will retire with a premiership and they'll be forever remembered by all the St Kilda faithful.

:wink:

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

They should rename the 'clubman of the season', the Max Hudghton Medal.

Gotta Love Maxxy.

St.Kenny
Club Player

I truley love this man. . . . .

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
Schillaci
Club Player

Great article about a great player and clubman.
Hope his two boys can follow in his footsteps as St.Kilda players.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Image Image

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saints94
SS Life Member

I think Max will most likely go on but if he does one more soft-tissue injury he might then call it a day

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The bloke is tremendous! His courage and commitment to getting the best he can out of himself is the most you'd ever want from a footballer.

You just know in your heart if Max can't stop the ball coming in, not many others could either. Absolutely rock solid defender!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic. Zero contested marks, two kicks and six goals to the opposition - in three quarters of football! Dunno how we'll manage without him.

One day, people will work out that spoiling should be just one component of a backman's repertoire, not the only component. The ability to win possession and kick to a teammate either foot would be nice to see.

If you want to build a premiership team, you always start from the last line and work forwards. We had a v good full back and a v good CHB in 2004-05 but both fell to injury, one permanently. Fan hero status means nothing on the field.

Don't even talk about him in the same breath as Robert Harvey. What an insult!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

will retire at seasons end is my feeling.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Fantastic. Zero contested marks, two kicks and six goals to the opposition - in three quarters of football! Dunno how we'll manage without him.

One day, people will work out that spoiling should be just one component of a backman's repertoire, not the only component. The ability to win possession and kick to a teammate either foot would be nice to see.

If you want to build a premiership team, you always start from the last line and work forwards. We had a v good full back and a v good CHB in 2004-05 but both fell to injury, one permanently. Fan hero status means nothing on the field.

Don't even talk about him in the same breath as Robert Harvey. What an insult!
You have no idea, Max is in line to be AA this year, has been the stalwart of our defence for the last decade and gives everything...something Harvs also does....

Ask his teammates, they love him and rightly so....

He gets no accolades and you want to bash him here....200 game players for the Saints deserve more

The Doc
Club Player

I'm actually starting to see Sam Gilbert and Sam Fisher do very Maxy-like things when spoiling (which is obviously an important part of the game!).

If he can stick around for one more season and keep on imparting his knowledge and skills about how to get an arm around a leading opponent to get a fist to the ball without giving away a free kick (even under the new stupid interpretations) it will actually help to set up our defence for years to come.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't begrudge him a retirement if we did go all the way this year. My fingers are so crossed they're getting arthritic!

2010 has a nice ring to it.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny wrote:I truley love this man. . . . .
me too

if we go all the way...he will obviously retire.
if we dont... i think he could, and would go around once more.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:...He gets no accolades and you want to bash him here....200 game players for the Saints deserve more
No accolades because he is no good. No supporter of any other club has EVER said they wanted MAX, even for their seconds!

200 games? No premierships! Spot the link!

And yes, Gilbert is very MAX like - hopeless! Can't kick, can't mark, can't play. One of the worst players EVER to put on the RW&B. Honestly, some of youse guys wouldn't know a good player if he bit you on the arse! Grow up! (Then again, I suppose we'll have to wait 20 years!)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

ahh.....I think you should stop while you're ahead buddy....Max aint the only one.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
maverick wrote:...He gets no accolades and you want to bash him here....200 game players for the Saints deserve more
No accolades because he is no good. No supporter of any other club has EVER said they wanted MAX, even for their seconds!

)
Here's some more players that are 'no good' under your criteria
Harvey
Burke
Loewe
Frawley
Winmar
Barker
Lockett
Ditterich

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
is that the robbie flower link?
the nathan buckley link?
the gary ablett snr link?
the scott west link?
the chris grant link?
the trevor barker link?
the tony lockett link?
the robert harvey link?

...fair dinkum!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
matrix
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

And yes, Gilbert is very MAX like - hopeless! Can't kick, can't mark, can't play. One of the worst players EVER to put on the RW&B. Honestly, some of youse guys wouldn't know a good player if he bit you on the arse! Grow up! (Then again, I suppose we'll have to wait 20 years!)
seriously i didnt expect perfectionist to say this :shock:

old 'Pepper' has been and still is VERY much RWB thru and thru.
and can still do the job asked of him quite well IMO