The Geelong structure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

The Geelong structure

Geelong is a talented team - even spread right across the ground. Why are they so good? They have an exceptional mid-field with depth. The first string midfield group is A grade, the next group is also A grade and then the next group is at least B+.

When you look at the rest of the team you see a defence that relies on Scarlett, Milburn who is a ball magnet, the exceptional skills of Hunt and the warhorse in Harley. Harley is getting beaten by big, talented forwards these days - remember he lined up on Roo in the earlier clash this year and got absolutely smashed - so he was moved away from Roo and Taylor got the job instead. Up forward, again they are not blessed with a dynamic forward line apart from Steve Johnson who is a gun, they score heavily through their mids dominating and with high level skills - they deliver to, otherwise just average players, superbly - and in good position.

The ruck is good - not particularly exceptional, who of the top sides have an exceptional ruck division? Ottens is a very good player, whilst Blake is just a player. Once again - an exceptional midfield helps make your rucks look great!!
Is Collingwood an exceptional team? No - they are a good, honest team much like us now. When they play the Cats - they have a plan, and they stick to it with great discipline. They keep the game tight - plenty of contests and tackle hard, relentlessly and maintain strong pressure for the whole game. They have shown that Geelong's game can fall apart like all other teams can under that pressure. I bet the Collingwood players are totally spent both physically and mentally each time they play against the Cats. But they have a good recent record against them.

So, IMHO - how to beat them? You need to quell the influence of Milburn and scarlett running out of their back half and delivering to space. You need to break even in ruck and win contested ball again and again. strong physical pressure all day and take your chances when you get them. Nullify the blue chip mids like Ablett, Bartell, Corey. And play through the weakest links in their chain - like isolating Taylor up against a Kosi - physically challenge Hunt everytime, and pull Milburn back deep in defence so he doesn't run as much.

Take them out of their comfort zone - if we can be in front at half time - then they will be a little concerned and start to try diferent things - things they don't normally have to do. I should be an absorbing contest - not the cakewalk many are expecting. Would've loved to have had Ball back for this - but Goddard may be the best bet to crash though some congested traffic and deliver to our talented forwards. Beat the Cats and it will be one of the most significant victorys in the Saints history. The Pies beating the crows will put the Cats in unfamiliar territory of late - under the pump. That is all. Go Saints.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Great post Yipper

I agree 100 per cent

rexy
SS Life Member

Good post Yipper, when you break it down they are just like any other side. they have strengths and weaknesses, you are right about there midfield getting space being the key to there forward line and also about there backs run causing this space in the middle.

Biggest thing is the confidence in which they stick to their plan though, when they are being challenged early in games they stick to their guns, they weather the storm and they stay true to the plan. Its almost like they say keep throwing punches until you are tired and then we will show you how you should have landed them.

ARE WE A CHANCE?

MY WORD!

Maybe this year?
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Very good read, Yipper.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Great analysis Yipper.

the one thing I have noticed about Geelong since last year is that

THEY BELIEVE
in themselves
their teammates
their gameplan
their ability to beat anybody.

Collingwood showed us the way.

We have to shake their belief,
With pressure.

They have to start doubting in themselves.
Once that happens their slick ball movement and apparent coolness will disipate like iot steam and their game will start to crumble.

Pressure, Pressure and more Pressure.
All over the field.

So much pressure that they start to second guess themselves and start feeling implied pressure when it doesn't actually exist.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Very nice! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Gehrigs_son
Club Player

yep solid post, v solid

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote: Biggest thing is the confidence in which they stick to their plan though, when they are being challenged early in games they stick to their guns, they weather the storm and they stay true to the plan. Its almost like they say keep throwing punches until you are tired and then we will show you how you should have landed them.
ARE WE A CHANCE?

MY WORD!
Top post Yipper agree 100%- its all about man on man pressuring the ball carrier right from their defence and NOT this zone off crap.

As for the above thats also true - Ive mentioned before but last time we played them we had them scrambling early...a mad Geelong mate of mine suggested he also noticed Geelong merely played some 'tempo' for a while, got the game back on their terms and countered - except they dont kick 4.7 they hurt you where it counts via Jonston/Chapman/Stokes et al.

We MUST take our chances in front of goal Sunday or all that built up pressure applied is simply released if not supported by some scoreboard pressure.

We to need to be able to weather their charge cause it willcome and retaliate....if the game stays close...its anyones after half time........we WONT be easily reeling in a 5 or 6 goal Geelong burst though so we need to counter punch fast.

I think last time we played them Geelong kicked 8 goals in about 10 mins and it was game over - they simply maintained that lead from there.

STOP - Johnstone, Ling, Ablett, Wocjinski for me.

“Yeah….nah””
Fidelis
Club Player

Robert Walls (not this forum's favourite columnist) wrote an article recently called ‘How to skin the Cats’. Worth a look

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 32388.html

His 10 commandments were
1. Play a 6 man forward line – you can’t afford to give them a loose man in defence

2. Be proactive at stoppages – you can’t tag all their mids out of the game and have to take the initiative

3. Play through Harry Taylor’s opponent – cats use their best defenders on lesser forwards to run off and Harry’s often left with the danger forward

4. Plug holes in the Cat attack – they’re good at creating spaces for their forwards to run into at ruck stoppages

5. Tackle – Pies had 85 tackles when they won

6. Crash Ablett – both he and team mates have shown they can lose focus when Ablett gets treatment

7. Expect them to play on – Cats play on 52% of the time

8. Be bold in attack – defenders zone off to help mates, use free forwards this creates

9. Drag Ling and Corey away from the ball – their premier taggers win important ball, take them away from it

10. Be on the front foot – don’t be in awe of them, take the initiative

Faithful Even Unto Death
StSteven
Club Player

Since Collingwood loss every team has tried to do as you say. They have not been able to. Bit simplistic, have a go but I fear we will finish many goals short.

But hey we can hope the bus breaks down.

I don't want to get the hopes too high as Hawthorn, Roos, Swans, and Dogs all tried it and got pumped.

I am going with hopes high but expectations low. I don't expect the players to feel like that though.

HarveysDeciple

key is always to do the basics well.

It's not the time to experiment, we have produced some good footy, just be smart like the OP said, but be disciplined and consistent and take your chances!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Get the ball into our forward line and keep it there - they rely heavily on their backs to carry and run the ball out of the backline in numbers. The pressure is right on our forwards to man-up. I reckon for this game, Roo or Kosi needs to float around the centre to half back areas to cut off the ball coming from the Geelong backs..let Gwilt or Raf be the CHF for the day.

St.Kenny
Club Player

Still think theyre a bit shaky when the hard physical game is applied. Lots of tackling and a few hard knocks early... which is Hawthorns style. People forgetting that this was the key to Fremantle almost knocking them off early in the year and certainly ruffling their feathers the second time around. Must be unified whatever the game plan..

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...