and the banger incident cleared?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Completely legit. Great tackle. If only our boys could stick a few like it.

GrumpyOne

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Good tackle by Surjan. Bad tackle by Milburn. Good results on both. Players are taught to tackle like that and everone of our players would and should do it under similar circumstances.

no ...banging a players head into the turf after he has disposed of the ball,,,and whilst his arms are pinned is against the laws of the game....despite what the match review committee states...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Not sure if you have ever played footy but that was a perfect takle that all coaches would love to see. the ball fell out and Surjan would not have known and even if he did he would have had no chance of letting go. It was probably half a second after it fell out that he hit the ground. Perfect tackle and the Saints would be trained to tackle like that.

of course i have played footy....also spent many years as a tribunal member of an afl affiliated tribunal......got sent the video at the start of this season too....it was an illegal tackle for mine......
Stinger is an authority on the laws of the game.... after all, he actually helped write them.

Sorry to give away your secret identity Mr Wills. :oops:

GSG
Club Player

Milburn was suspended because it was deemed to be a dangerous tackle, i.e. to “spear tackle’ somebody into the ground could cause very serious injuries. At least this is the explanation I heard on radio.
Harvey was spear-tackled and almost drilled into the car park below and, above all, he needed to be helped off the ground and was slightly concussed. But because he appeared to still have the ball, it was deemed a legitimate tackle. So, if you have a ball, the tackle is no longer a ‘spear tackle’ and therefore not dangerous.
Some logic - this is just dumb!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:Milburn was suspended because it was deemed to be a dangerous tackle, i.e. to “spear tackle’ somebody into the ground could cause very serious injuries. At least this is the explanation I heard on radio.
Harvey was spear-tackled and almost drilled into the car park below and, above all, he needed to be helped off the ground and was slightly concussed. But because he appeared to still have the ball, it was deemed a legitimate tackle. So, if you have a ball, the tackle is no longer a ‘spear tackle’ and therefore not dangerous.
Some logic - this is just dumb!
It gets better!
At the Tribunal tonight the Cats successfully argued that what Milburn did was not 'high contact' under teh Tribunal/MRP/AFL Rules nut 'body on body' contact and therefore his charge was downgraded to a 1 match suspension.

Dimwit and Monkey-Boy cannot fix this at teh moment because they are away on a (ahem) 'Fact-Finding Trip to Beijing.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

perfectly fine in my book

they compared it to a tackle Hamill made on some poor Richmond bloke a few years back, now THAT is how to tackle :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Strong tackles are great, I remember Guerra running off half back to cripple Cam Bruce in a tackle a few years back.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

GSG

Where did you get this "spear tackle" crap from?

Milburn and Surjan's tackles were nothing like a "spear tackle", outlawed in the NRL.

A "spear tackle" is where you lift a player off the ground, turn him upside down and smash him headfirst into the ground.

Let's not get too carried away.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
my les foote
Club Player

No problem with the tackle on harvs. It was just a slinging action to get him off balance as he was kicking.

However, the umpires could have saved a lot of trouble if they had paid the free to Riewoldt 10 seconds earlier as he was held in a marking contest or if they had paid the free to Blake who was slung after he disposed of the ball 5 seconds earlier.

Win it for HIM!
GSG
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:GSG

Where did you get this "spear tackle" crap from?

Milburn and Surjan's tackles were nothing like a "spear tackle", outlawed in the NRL.

A "spear tackle" is where you lift a player off the ground, turn him upside down and smash him headfirst into the ground.

Let's not get too carried away.
Okay, maybe it wasn’t a spear tackle. Wrong expression on my part. To me it looked all the same - Milburne’s and Surjan’s - and I’m not saying it’s right to suspend somebody for this. I just wanted

GSG
Club Player

Sorry didn't finish my post.

Okay, maybe it wasn’t a spear tackle. Wrong expression on my part. To me it looked all the same - Milburne’s and Surjan’s - and I’m not saying it’s right to suspend somebody for this. I just wanted to make a point that if it’s dangerous without the ball, it should be dangerous with the ball