Personal History Of You

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterX
Club Player

Personal History Of You

How did all of you become Saints supporters?

Myself, I lived in Sydney and Brisbane for most of my life, so was a league fan. In 1997 I was pretty bored of it and wanted to get into AFL so said whichever Victorian team finishes highest I will go for.
And I am so glad that was not Geelong or the Western Bulldogs

:)

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thats quite an interesting question
In my case, and I still rmember this quite clearly. It would have been about 1970,71 and I was about 5 or 6 \.I was in the hallway of our house and can clearly remember my 3 brothers and sister trying to talk me into the saints and the old man trying for cwood. I liked the saints jumper more. Thanks god I did. I cant remeber much else from that time but this incedent

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Born and bred a Saint. My dad came to the city from Terang to play for the Saints and followed them for the rest of his life. He followed Geelong before that. My brother and I both had St.Kilda jumpers before we could walk. It wasn't a choice, it was just a natural thing to do.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

grade 3 i think,
jst started following them cause i liked the colours etc, and saw a photo of trevor the saint, you know the animated one and loved it ever since then
got a tattoo,
im a true blooded sainter!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:My dad came to the city from Terang to play for the Saints and followed them for the rest of his life.
the old man played for the sainters?!!

coooool 8-)

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

When I was born I found out that my father was a Collingwood supporter & I saw red. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

An auntie knitted me a St Kilda jumper when I was 5 & that was it.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
asiu

catholic boy.......the saints seemed right for me

pop was telling me one lunch (during the black & grey sunday replay) how kicking 4 times as many behinds than goals was bad footy......i got all testy with him , coz it was st kilda he was bagging

already knew at that tender age , that anything in black & white was to be well avoided .....

:lol:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

My Great Great Grandfather followed the club from it's inception/day one in approx 1873

My Great Grandfather born in 1870 was raised as a sainter

Grandfather born a sainter in 1895

Father born a sainter in 1937

I was born a sainter in 1962

so in essence the curse has been past on from generation to generation :evil:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I started supporting the Saints over 30 years ago and for most of my time would catch the bus down South Road to Linton STreet and then rush back home to watch the wrap up - even when we lost - but I would never have dared look the 'older' ladies who barracked for The Saints in the eye and say that I was going home early.

The passion for losing teams in the eighties is not there now - we are soft - as supporters. Honestly - how many of you left before the game was over yesterday?

We are in trouble and this is a call to arms!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
st.byron wrote:My dad came to the city from Terang to play for the Saints and followed them for the rest of his life.
the old man played for the sainters?!!

coooool 8-)
He was a country kid who'd never even been to Geelong before he went to Melb. to play with the Saints. Only played a few games in the seniors in the 1930's. Played a couple of seasons in the ressies. Always loved them after that.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I was born in a small town of Cornwall New York, about an hours drive out of New York city.
My mother was a war bride from Melbourne and her father (my grandfather) had supported St.Kilda all his life.
So when we decided to migrate here in 1965, fulfilling a promoise my father made to my mother, me and my brothers were indoctrinated into the St.Kilda fold.
Unfortunately my older brother was a bit of a rebel and decided to follow Essendon because they beat St.Kilda in 65 Grand Final.
I have been a paid up member of the club since 1971.
Unfortunately starting to believe I will never see this club win another flag.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hmmmm....just trying to figure out who he was...
any clues?
initials maybe?

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

raised as an essendon supporter in canberra til I was 8, we moved to melbourne where I truly learned to love the game, then we moved to Albury. At the tender age of 9 I was peer pressured into looking at another team as not a single other person that I knew went for the bombers and as the new kid on the block, something had to give. Soooo... I began to shop around - tried West Coast on for size, but really who could love the eagles? Then I had a look at Carlton (please don't hate me!!) but I really couldn't get into it. Then a mate of mine got to travel to Melbourne to play in the half time game as a saint at Waverley and that was it for me. And I've stuck fat with St Kilda all the way from 1990 - not as long as some I will agree, but pretty big for me - especially as it turned out that I became the ONLY St Kilda follower at high school (irony ensured that I was surrounded by eagles and blues believe it or not). Dad confided in me recently that he has been really proud of my passion for St Kilda and the way I have held firm despite all the pressures around me. Made me feel pretty good!

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Used to go for Hawthorn due to the fact I got a Hawthorn jumper as a kid and loved the way Dermie played. However, after the inception of the Eagles found myself following the exploits of Plugger and Nicky Winmar a lot more than my supposed team. With one brother who turned his back on the Blues to support the Eagles, and another turning his back on the Blues to follow the Saints, I officially jumped ship after the last game of 1991. I think this was the finals series where we played Geelong, and I found myself going for the Saints (especially Nicky and McAdam) in that game more than Hawthorn in the winning GF. Told my mate that win, lose or draw it was my last game as a Hawthorn supporter and stuck to it. Have been a die-hard Saints fan ever since.

saintDal
Club Player

I grew up in the same town as Winmar so it seemed natural to follow the Saints. He was actually at one of our U/13 games and gave out an award for the best player. Roger Hayden would have been playing that game too at the time but I don't think he won the award.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

emigrated to oz in 85 and obviously was still a huge soccer fan (played from when i was 4 to 12 years old).....came here and a lot of the kids at school were hawks fans, and said that i needed to pick a team now i was living over here.....
so i started to watch the game....at first i had NO idea what was going on and thought there was no rules what so ever, and thought...how the hell do these guys kick the ball to each other so skillfully when its not even round!
when i saw them running and bouncing i couldnt believe it!!.....

so after watching games and learning the rules and starting to really like the game i decided i liked the saints....basically because of tony lockett.
i just couldnt believe how big the guy was and how well he moved and bloody hell, how far could he kick that funny shaped ball!!!
guys at school tried to convince me to support the hawks but i was having none of it.......
rest is history.......
i know people that have changed sides that they support and quite frankly im gobsmacked.
once a team supporter always a team supporter....u never jump ship......
PERIOD

Saintgaz
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:My Great Great Grandfather followed the club from it's inception/day one in approx 1873

My Great Grandfather born in 1870 was raised as a sainter

Grandfather born a sainter in 1895

Father born a sainter in 1937

I was born a sainter in 1962

so in essence the curse has been past on from generation to generation :evil:
The Bible talks about the sins of the fathers being visited upon the sons Barks. Great lineage and something to be proud of.

I was fifteen and decided I needed to pick a VFL team (living in WA at the time). I was really into Weddings Parties Anything and found out Mick Thomas was a Saints supporter so picked them. I didn't do any research and this being the 80's I'm glad I didn't.
So here i am 22 years later a Saints man and I'll never quit.[/i]

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It's all Dad's fault.

He came over to Victoria from Tassie in 1961. He followed the Saints because of the Tasmanian connection with so many of our champion players.

I had no choice really as we only ever went to St Kilda games.

I grew up idolising players like Cowboy Neale (in his latter years), Trevor Barker, Rex Hunt, Greg Burns, Geoff Cunningham, Max Crow, Tony Lockett, Jeff Sarau.

My earliest and strongest football memory was one day at Princes Park when Gary Colling accidentally knocked Paul Callery out in the middle of the ground. I think everyone else thought that a Hawthorn player committed the act and the Saints came back from four goals down to win the match.

I also remember being at the game where we kicked 31 goals against Melbourne at the MCG in 1978.

Unfortunately, I also remember the early to mid 80's (1983 - 1986) when we won four wooden spoons in-a-row. The three 100+ thrashings to start the '85 season off were a low light.

At least there is one thing us St Kilda supporters can look forward to. That is when we die we can march up to the Pearly Gates of Heaven and look St. Peter in the eye and tell him to "Step aside, mate. I'm a St Kilda supporter and I've done my time in Hell!"

esaint66
SS Life Member

Kiwi family and the old man was a die hard lions fan (still sort of is, but not as much as before)

The story with me was that my late mother bought me a membership for the saints because we lived close to moorabbin after my dad said buy one for the closest team and he forgot about st kilda :oops: obviously thinking fitzroy was the closest team.

He also went in to buy a fitzroy jumper and i saw the saints jumper and havent seen any other one since :D

older saint
SS Life Member

Brian washed by my Older cousin. The old man (richmond supporter) worked Saturdays and therefore couldn't take me to the footy so my cousin used to drive us sown to moorabin to watch us get flogged ( except 1978) . Was brain washed with gifts , family days etc.

Unfortunately once the passion exists it is like a scar that can not leave and like us here I am now a long sufffering victim of false hope and bravado known as the StKilda Football Club.

bergsone
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint he lived in prahan used to walk to junction oval rember doing the walk with em,what really swayed me was a big blonds first game,although i rember very little of it now.1963 ,so its been in my family 100 years or so now .stand out memories 65 first moorabbin game 65 66 71 97 grand finals numerous others cant mention now.seen the best and worst of the saints over the years,although dont get to games any more,still a fierce saint always will be .By the way my father r.i.p cried his eyes out that day in 66 hard man never seen it before never seen it again

Juggernaut
Club Player

Born in 66
The old man has always been saints fan
Earliest memories I have is being on the old mans sholders in the outer at Moorabbin

You just can't fight fate!

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:hmmmm....just trying to figure out who he was...
any clues?
initials maybe?
nah mate, prefer to remain anonymarse.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

First jumper I remember was a Melbourne jumper with the big Biff (No. 19) on the back, would have been 68 or 69 and would have been pasted on by my (now-deceased) father. I'd have been 3 or 4 at the time.

Didn't take long for my brother (10 years older than me) to convert me to his Sainters (don't know why he was a Saint, now need to ask him), and when he took me to my first VFL game in 76-77 he bought me the Saints scarf I still wear to EVERY game, no matter what the temperature or conditions.

Been a member for a long time, can't remember when I first signed up, maybe not long after I moved to Melbourne from the country?

Don't know if the club keeps records of it, or whether you can tell by the member number, but my sig is my member number.

Had a couple of financially lean years where I haven't been a member but still went to as many games as possible.

I love the Saints, my kids have always been members and have no choice in it - and they love them too.

And I openly confess my massive admiration for the Great Man and it constantly hurts to see him trying his guts out for no return.

Harves is RWB and the greatest player I have witnessed, on and off the field.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: anonymarse.
lol
no worries, cant say i blame ya.
id be pretty chuffed if the old man put the guernsey on :D