Are we really that far off the pace ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Are we really that far off the pace ?

I've been thinking about this a bit lately and compared us to some of the sides that are towards the top of the ladder.
Hawthorn have won 9 games and lost one to the dogs. But they have played Melbourne twice and not played Geelong. Potentially they are 12 pts higher than us right there.
The Cats got smashed by the Pies and yet we got within 9pts (could have beaten them I think).
We certainly had the better of the Dogs for one 1/4.I know the last 3 1/4s were terrible but the formula was there for a while.
I am as disappointed as most of you at our position but just wonder if it may not be as impossible as it seems to turn the season around.
As they say it's mostly a mental application thing that gets the results. I'd be interested to see how good we were with our confidence up.
Tomorrow may be the turning point. I don't see the game against Melbourne as a nothing win if we do but a chance to get our tails up again !
Go Sainters !!

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Yup !!

We almost never win in Brissie, although a better performance was clearly in order.

I would suggest that a final's berth still awaits as long as the lads perform their standard second half of the year performance. Its not like we were much better off at this stage of the season for the last few years

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
esaint66
SS Life Member

Bowie Boy wrote:Yup !!

We almost never win in Brissie, although a better performance was clearly in order.

I would suggest that a final's berth still awaits as long as the lads perform their standard second half of the year performance. Its not like we were much better off at this stage of the season for the last few years

Yes very true, always have slow starts and like last year in the second half of the year we won 7 and a half games. The Critics say we can continue it the next year but we dont. Thats the problem.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Get a piece of writing paper and list the players you think can WIN A CONTEST against the best in the competition. Then list the players who you think can WIN A CONTEST against the second best in the competition. Do this for each team. If we have more than half of our players winning contests from the opposition, then we should win the game. This is an easy way to see where we are.

On my count, as I have said countless times before, we are eighth or nineth and don't seem to be improving. If I'm wrong, we may lose tomorrow.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

[quote="perfectionist"][/quoi have one of those season memberships somewhere.....from around the same era....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Will only break out the next year's when "the event" occurs. Surprised no-one else has noticed.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

We are that far off being competitive with the really good teams it is not funny.

If not for the well know few that bust their guts week in week out then we'd would be right down in the cellar. Make no mistake this current list will not deliver us to where we want to be, just too many that are either not good enough or not prepared to work hard enough. Would love them to prove me wrong obviously but it won't happen with 50% of the team lacking the desire & commitment that Banger, Lenny & Bally have.

The club is in a precarious position where we can continue to tread water, beat the crap sides and stay mid table. If we do this then we'll continue to miss out on the best kids at draft time and end up at the bottom when the Gold Coast & West Sydney are gift wrapped the top 5 kids in the land for a few years.

Very hard decision need to be made re: the playing list. In modern footy it is very difficult to make significant list changes & get rid of a large group of underperforming players in one hit. Unfortunately some blokes will still be on the list in 2009 that don't deserve to be.

We desperately need in injection of talented youth to compliment the solid core (Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Ball and Sam Fisher) and the youngsters (Armitage, Gilbert, McEvoy, Geary, Steven, Connors, etc). Now is the time to build for 2011-12 when the core is still in their prime & the current youngsters are experienced senior players.

Under the pump now & maybe at season's end;

Gram
Montagna
X & R Clarke
Kosi (as much as it pains me)
Schneider
plus numerous others that don't have the same trade value as some of these blokes.

Will Lyon have the aggots pull the trigger on a big trade if things continue like this for the rest of the season? It's a pretty good draft this year & will be the 2nd last chance to get some guns at the top before the draft is raped by the Gold Coast & West Sydney until at least 2014!

Can we afford to take the no.9 pick again & hope he plays like a top 3 pick?

IMHO we will need to try to get our hands on a top 5 pick on top of whatever our first round pick is. No trading for players, just stocking up on the kids.

Or will we emulate 2007, win a few games & miss out on the finals by a game & think "we just need that reject from ????? to make us a top 4 team".