Team V Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We have lost Rooy and X up forward so we have lost 3 goals a game so someone must come in who at least has a slight chance of kicking a goal or 2 and I am pretty sure both Ferg and Allen were emergancies last game so you would think one will play. Cant see CJ doing much damage on the scoreboard.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:*Hayes and Joey copped the hard tags and not Dal.....and Hayes certainly had a poor return
Kane Johnson kept Dal quiet at the stoppages. He gave him too much space around the ground, but his inside game was completely negated. Joey was effectively handled by Hyde and Hayes by Tuck. Foley gave Birss a hiding in the centre.

Were it not for their extraordinarily bad ball use, we probably would've been thumped. Our OBs are going to have to do a lot better against the Pies if we're going to have a chance.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We have lost Rooy and X up forward so we have lost 3 goals a game so someone must come in who at least has a slight chance of kicking a goal or 2 and I am pretty sure both Ferg and Allen were emergancies last game so you would think one will play. Cant see CJ doing much damage on the scoreboard.
I am more looking at changing like for like. Bringing in king allows us to play kosi at CHF for the whole match, which will hopefully be a positive move.

cj gives us some pace which we lack when x went down. With charlie as a medium tall and gehrig and kosi also down there I can't see fergi getting a game. I would rather have a tackling forward in cj then a taller marking plaer. He also gives us a midfield option. Perhaps mini for cj? has been getting alot of it in the midfield and then consistantly kicking goals.

I would have liked to bring in blake and geary to play down back and swing raph forward. For mine this would have suited our needs better but unfortunately baker goes and therefore we can't afford to not play raph down back.

If we to bring in allen it would be at Gehrigs expense, which might have happened if we weren't making four changes already because of injury.

It's a pain, the two areas we lack in depth is key backs and fast midfield/forwards. Losing xavier and max sting. We can cover roo with our depth.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
yipper
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:*Hayes and Joey copped the hard tags and not Dal.....and Hayes certainly had a poor return
Kane Johnson kept Dal quiet at the stoppages. He gave him too much space around the ground, but his inside game was completely negated. Joey was effectively handled by Hyde and Hayes by Tuck. Foley gave Birss a hiding in the centre.
Were it not for their extraordinarily bad ball use, we probably would've been thumped. Our OBs are going to have to do a lot better against the Pies if we're going to have a chance.
Don't think Foley gave anyone a hiding. Started like a house on fire - but ended up pretty quiet, Birss got on top of him in the end. Luke Ball and Hayes to a lesser extent stood up.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Don't think Foley gave anyone a hiding. Started like a house on fire - but ended up pretty quiet, Birss got on top of him in the end. Luke Ball and Hayes to a lesser extent stood up.
I found that strange, birss def won his position and in fact set up some very important inside 50's in that hectic final quarter. Hayes stood up well when it was counted. But yes our midfield was killed. I think it will help that we have our two main rucks in this week.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
vacuous space
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:Don't think Foley gave anyone a hiding.
Birss kept him a lot quieter after the first quarter, but still - Dal, Joey, Hayes, Birss: 5 clearances; Foley: 9 clearances. Birss made up for it somewhat with his ball use. But still, on a whole, Foley gave him a hiding in the centre.

yipper
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:
yipper wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
I found that strange, birss def won his position and in fact set up some very important inside 50's in that hectic final quarter. Hayes stood up well when it was counted. But yes our midfield was killed. I think it will help that we have our two main rucks in this week.
Absolutely - they're both big and aggressive, and can ruck. So, yep our mids will be better served this week. No doubt Simmonds competed strongly last week and gave the Tiger mids some opportunities. Kosi had a big last Q and that was reflected in that our midfield worked alot harder at the end of the game than they did earlier.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Ferg and Allen were emergancies last game so you would think one will play. Cant see CJ doing much damage on the scoreboard.
you make a fair point. which one do you think?

i'd go allen, personally, but that might make us too tall if the forward line also contains kosi and gehrig.

then again, ferguson is obviously in pretty good form with seven goals for casey.

and i heard that CJ was one of the best on the ground. it's a quandry.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 13 May 2008 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsign
Club Player

Bakes had a knee brace on all last week evidently, which didn't look too promising!

B: L Fisher, Blake, Dempster
HB: Goddard, S Fisher, Gram
C: Schnieder, Montagna, Birss
HF: Harvey, Kosi, Dal Santo
F: Milne, Gehrig, Raph

Foll: King, Hayes, Ball

Int: M. Gardiner/McEvoy, Armitage, C. Gardiner, C Jones
L Fisher for Baker, Blake For Max
King / Roo (releases Kozi CHF) CJ for X
and Raph out of the back half!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

yipper wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
22 touches including 9 clearances and 7 tackles... I hope whoever Birss plays on versus Collingwood has a less damaging version of quiet.

At the same time, I hope Birss can continue to use the ball like that...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Bakes had a knee brace on all last week evidently, which didn't look too promising!

!
RL earlier today virtually ruled him out in his press conference...Hence why people now have him as an out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

who thinks we can win this? I don't .

My reasons are simple, injuries , poor form and no need to elaborate any more than that.

Looking forward to all the replies accusing me of negativity etc. which seems to be a bit of a problem on this forum.
bring it on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:who thinks we can win this? I don't .

My reasons are simple, injuries , poor form and no need to elaborate any more than that.

Except to note that the Pies have injuries...and have not been in good form.

ben_fff
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
ben_fff wrote:B: Baker - Blake - Goddard
HB: Geary - S.Fisher - Gram
C: Montagna - Hayes - Dal Santo
HF: Armitage - C.Gardiner - Schneider
F: Fergusson - Koschitzke - Milne
R: King/Gardiner - Ball - Harvey

Int: Gehrig, McEvoy/Gardiner, C.Jones, R.Clarke/Steven

Side depends on Kings availability, hoping Fraser can show something as I'm not sure on Kosi at all, starting to take Plugger66's pov over the big fella which worries me because I don't really rate him as a ruckman.

I believe Blake can do the job on Rocca, I'd prefer Fisher not to play on Cloke but what other options do we have? how serious is Maxie's set back?

IMO the following must show something:
Jason Gram
Fraser Gehrig
Justin Koschitzke
Nick Dal Santo
Raphael Clarke

They've been said before and alot over the last couple of weeks but I believe Dal has to prove once again he can play against a higher quality opposition, a decent game against a young/struggling side every 3 weeks isn't enough, Gram looks so out of form/soft for the ball that he's a shadow of the man that we're used too, Gehrig... well he's deadweight at the moment, the taking the best defender argument can only last so long and against Collingwood he wont have a high quality opponent, I'm pretty sold on Raph not being upto it, I'm not going to attack the bloke or anything petty I just don't think he has the poise and right frame of mind to play at the elite level.
Nick Dal Santo

hit back to form last week....
That's why I said the bit that's bolded, he needs to prove himself against more quality opposition, if he can play like that against the Hawks, Cats, Magpies, Adelaide etc. then we'll be a real chance.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The Fireman wrote:who thinks we can win this? I don't .

Correct, so after we lose where does that leave us?

starsign
Club Player

starsign wrote:
Bakes had a knee brace on all last week evidently, which didn't look too promising!

!

RL earlier today virtually ruled him out in his press conference...Hence why people now have him as an out.

2008.. Fitness First!!!! Workrate Second!!!

Written and Authorised by sRr
thanks for that ,but I did happen to read the previous posts and hence he wasn't in my selected side

starsign
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
who thinks we can win this? I don't .

I think we can win and my reasons are simple too....
It appears on current reporting that the odds are in our favour of having a strong advantage in the ruck ie King/Gardner v Pies minus Fraser, in which case if we can capitalize through the midfield and stoppages we should be able to create more scoring possabilities, partcularly if we can get it inside 50 quickly

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Out: Roo, X, Bakes, Goose

In: King (McEvoy NOT RIX if he doesnt come up) , Allen, L Fisher, Blake.

It might look like a backward step playing Fish/Blake, but our back half is going to need some stiffening with no Bakes or Goose.

Thomas/Didak/Medhurst/Davis worry me far more than Cloke or Rocca, hence the return of L.Fisher to take one of them and Blake to provide at least some height in defence. King/Gardy MUST work back to provide a chop-out in front of Cloke/Rocca

Grammy..your time is nigh son.....would be just the perfect game to get your mojo back

Raph goes forward (cant afford to have him on a Pies small forward), Kosi at true CHF..and G is told NOT to stray outside 50. Roll the dice and see if he cant be isolated if we get a turnover and cause more damage than his opponent running off him does the other way.

A Gehrig/Kosi/Milne/Gardy/Allen(or Ferg, I'm tipping it will be one of them) forward line looks a bit more flexible

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Out: Roo, X, Bakes, Goose

In: King (McEvoy NOT RIX if he doesnt come up) , Allen, L Fisher, Blake.

It might look like a backward step playing Fish/Blake, but our back half is going to need some stiffening with no Bakes or Goose.

Thomas/Didak/Medhurst/Davis worry me far more than Cloke or Rocca, hence the return of L.Fisher to take one of them and Blake to provide at least some height in defence. King/Gardy MUST work back to provide a chop-out in front of Cloke/Rocca

Grammy..your time is nigh son.....would be just the perfect game to get your mojo back

Raph goes forward (cant afford to have him on a Pies small forward), Kosi at true CHF..and G is told NOT to stray outside 50. Roll the dice and see if he cant be isolated if we get a turnover and cause more damage than his opponent running off him does the other way.

A Gehrig/Kosi/Milne/Gardy/Allen(or Ferg, I'm tipping it will be one of them) forward line looks a bit more flexible
you are on the money.

Odds of this happening would pay out at about $1.10 methinks....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Rocket
Club Player

IN - Ferguson, Gwilt, Fisher, King
OUT - Roo, Maguire, Baker, X

Dempster, Gwilt, LFisher
Gram, Fisher, Goddard
Harvey, Dal, Monty
CGardiner, Kozy, Ferguson
Schneider, Gehrig,Milne
King, Ball, Hayes
Gardiner, Birss, RClarke, Armitage

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ben_fff wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
ben_fff wrote:They've been said before and alot over the last couple of weeks but I believe Dal has to prove once again he can play against a higher quality opposition, a decent game against a young/struggling side every 3 weeks isn't enough, Gram looks so out of form/soft for the ball that he's a shadow of the man that we're used too, Gehrig... well he's deadweight at the moment, the taking the best defender argument can only last so long and against Collingwood he wont have a high quality opponent, I'm pretty sold on Raph not being upto it, I'm not going to attack the bloke or anything petty I just don't think he has the poise and right frame of mind to play at the elite level.
Nick Dal Santo

That's why I said the bit that's bolded, he needs to prove himself against more quality opposition, if he can play like that against the Hawks, Cats, Magpies, Adelaide etc. then we'll be a real chance.
There's very good reason Dal cops a tag almost every week. He's an awesome user of the ball, and when he gets it in the middle, he's incredibly damaging. When he gets it in the middle, he not only sues it well, he creates flow, and gives other players the ball in much more dangerous and damaging places.

Wallace decided (I'm guessing obviously) that with Dal out of form he was better off taggin Joey. With Joey doing less Dal was more than able to pick up the slack. Cameron Ling, Brad Sewell, Kane Cornes, these guys are still going to go after Dal, as it's the Saints who need to prove they can beat the Cats, Hawks, Power, instead of the other way around, and Dal being down on posessions hurts the Saints more than any other mid.

If he can gain some form and confidence, those matchups will be interesting... but otherwise we need to see a big improvement from someone, be it Dal himself beating his taggers, or other mids stepping up to do the damage.

Dal played a great game v the Tigs, but to me that's not form, that's just what happens when you don't pay Dal Santo the respect of a good tag.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

IN- Blake, Ferguson, Geary, King, Gwilt

OUT- Roo, Maguire, Baker, X.Clarke, Dempster

Geary, Fisher, Gwilt
Gram, Blake, Montagna
Schneider, Hayes, Dal Santo
Harvey, Kozy, R.Clarke
Gehrig, Ferguson, Milne

King, Goddard, Ball

Int. Armitage, M.Gardiner, C.Gardiner. Birss

ben_fff
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
ben_fff wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
ben_fff wrote:They've been said before and alot over the last couple of weeks but I believe Dal has to prove once again he can play against a higher quality opposition, a decent game against a young/struggling side every 3 weeks isn't enough, Gram looks so out of form/soft for the ball that he's a shadow of the man that we're used too, Gehrig... well he's deadweight at the moment, the taking the best defender argument can only last so long and against Collingwood he wont have a high quality opponent, I'm pretty sold on Raph not being upto it, I'm not going to attack the bloke or anything petty I just don't think he has the poise and right frame of mind to play at the elite level.
Nick Dal Santo

There's very good reason Dal cops a tag almost every week. He's an awesome user of the ball, and when he gets it in the middle, he's incredibly damaging. When he gets it in the middle, he not only sues it well, he creates flow, and gives other players the ball in much more dangerous and damaging places.

Wallace decided (I'm guessing obviously) that with Dal out of form he was better off taggin Joey. With Joey doing less Dal was more than able to pick up the slack. Cameron Ling, Brad Sewell, Kane Cornes, these guys are still going to go after Dal, as it's the Saints who need to prove they can beat the Cats, Hawks, Power, instead of the other way around, and Dal being down on posessions hurts the Saints more than any other mid.

If he can gain some form and confidence, those matchups will be interesting... but otherwise we need to see a big improvement from someone, be it Dal himself beating his taggers, or other mids stepping up to do the damage.

Dal played a great game v the Tigs, but to me that's not form, that's just what happens when you don't pay Dal Santo the respect of a good tag.
Well put and I agree completely.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Wallace decided (I'm guessing obviously) that with Dal out of form he was better off taggin Joey.
I don't think the matchups had anything to do with form. Kane Johnson plays on the opposition's best mid every week. He's had Dal the last few times we've played them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though kane was often wide of Dal...and not always on him.

I think that Dal was largely not tagged in the true sense of the word.

Will be interesting to see what the Pies do in regards to Dal.

I think our midfield group even with the loss of X will be raring to go.

Schneider was just back against the Tigers after a lay off....and should be the better for it.

Hayes was quiet for much of the Togers game...but with King and gardi to work with I thing we will see again the Hayes that has been playing well this year.