Fraser Gherig

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

from the article on afl.com:
Fraser said Gehrig contacted the club and asked what the process was for entering the Draft.

He said Gehrig understood there was no guarantee he would be selected by the Saints on Saturday. St Kilda has four selections at the Draft - picks 9, 42, 57 and 70.
Are we sure the Saints are interested in drafting Gehrig?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:TBH not sure he is needed if Kosi plays as a permanent forward but probably wouldnt hurt either.
I agree, but he'd make a handy forward pocket
HF: Schneider - Riewoldt - Harvey/Goddard
FF: Gehrig - Koschitzke - Milne

Try and find a defence that could cover that

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:At what stage of the draft would another club pick him and take the risk of him walking, this also means that they dont have to match up on him in 2008.

Say he is still there at pick 50 and a club was no longer going to be involved in the draft, why would you not take the chance on him and try to talk money with him to get him into the jumper rather than just yell out a PASS.

With this in mind we could not let him go through to late
no club would waste money like that

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
milney044
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:TBH not sure he is needed if Kosi plays as a permanent forward but probably wouldnt hurt either.
I agree, but he'd make a handy forward pocket
HF: Schneider - Riewoldt - Harvey/Goddard
FF: Gehrig - Koschitzke - Milne

Try and find a defence that could cover that
*drool*

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Mixed feelings about this. I was looking forward (poor pun) to a different and less predictable attack in 2008.

G is a great player ... IMO if he returns, it should be for Vic games only and he shouldn't travel interstate.

He's terrific at the Dome, but struggles elsewhere.

Watch him in '05 ... he was fitter and more mobile. Lost some of that in '07.

He won't be a hindrance because of his scoreboard contribution, but as he himself said when he retired, the game is fast slipping away from one-position players.

Mixed emotions.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
sax
Club Player

I'd definately use pick 42,57 or 70 to take him, but definately not 9. I really hope we get him back!!!!

Here's a link to the article on saints.com.au
http://saints.com.au/Season2007/News/Ne ... wsId=53435

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

how will ppl feel if we decide to pass on him ? just cause hes nominated doesnt mean hell get picked up just as woewodin

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:how will ppl feel if we decide to pass on him ? just cause hes nominated doesnt mean hell get picked up just as woewodin
id be surprised if we dont pick him

remember ross lyon publicly stating he wanted Frase to play on

with king in the ruck this frees up Koschitzke

Gehrig can be our "third tall" with Riewoldt and Koschitzke taking the key positions

with schneider and milne at their feet i believe our forward line could be the most dangerous in the league

gehrig > anyone we could pick with pick 70

busso mick
Club Player

I've got a nasty feeling in my waters about this, the Tony Lockett comeback springs to mind. Dame Nellie Gehrig, don't do it.

RooandKosi
Club Player

Would love the G back but there is NO doubt the doggies will take him.

pick 57 for him at the most!!

One more year with frase would be nice to have then Kosi could go to CHB where I reckon he is fantastic but he is fantastic everywhere!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know of one little girl who's going to be shattered if he's wearing any other colours than RW and B in 2008 :?

Stated at retirement that he was going to be a Saints man for the rest of his life.

Ill be honest..I reckon I'd be really dissapointed in him if he turned his back on the above and played for someone else in 2008. WOuld be fascinated to know his motives for coming back

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Why would he go in the national draft?
I thought it would be too late and that he would have to go through the PSD...
Would love to have him back though, just like King and Gardiner have given us some time to find a new ruckman G could give us some time to find a new FF :)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saint Mik
Club Player

St Trav,

Why would it be a waste of money to draft him, the club may not have to outlay a cent if he walks?

And if he did walk then they no longer have to worry about him in the Saints forward line in the 08 season which could also help the clubs cause.

If he didnt walk, you have a good FF and this would suit a club like the Bulldogs

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:St Trav,

Why would it be a waste of money to draft him, the club may not have to outlay a cent if he walks?

And if he did walk then they no longer have to worry about him in the Saints forward line in the 08 season which could also help the clubs cause.

If he didnt walk, you have a good FF and this would suit a club like the Bulldogs
why would you walk ? just not show up to training complain about sore hammys and take home a sweet pay check if another club picks him and he doesnt want to play he wont retire hell get his pay for sitting in the injured list .... thats what i would do

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:Mixed feelings about this. I was looking forward (poor pun) to a different and less predictable attack in 2008.
Yeah im feeling the same way OWTS :?

fisher_fan
Club Player

sort of a catch 22. hope we don't have to use pick 9 to get him as then we lost a good young player just because he had a change of heart. id love him in our line up dont get me wrong, but the dogs would be prepared to give up an early pick on him i reckon, as would the blues....with him and fevola and judd they would be a top 4 team....i hope he comes out and says saints or nothing, but i worry this wont be the case and the dogs will use a 2nd round pick for a short term solution.

such is life
JeffDunne

I can't see any other club drafting him as I doubt anyone will get to speak to him between now and Saturday.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:I've got a nasty feeling in my waters about this, the Tony Lockett comeback springs to mind. Dame Nellie Gehrig, don't do it.
Ditto.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saint Mik
Club Player

He would play or walk away the money would not be all that important to him in his last year or two in football.

There is to much up side for the other clubs that need him not to take a chance IMO.

I would take him at a certain pick if you were going to pass anyway if he was there and try to get him to play

Going to be interesting he may just have to stay retired yet or play for another club if this happens, hope it doesnt but you cant be certain.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

fisher_fan wrote:sort of a catch 22. hope we don't have to use pick 9 to get him as then we lost a good young player just because he had a change of heart. id love him in our line up dont get me wrong, but the dogs would be prepared to give up an early pick on him i reckon, as would the blues....with him and fevola and judd they would be a top 4 team....i hope he comes out and says saints or nothing, but i worry this wont be the case and the dogs will use a 2nd round pick for a short term solution.
i think carlton might need to draft Roo Kerr Cousins Scarlett and Glass to be a top 4 team

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Fraser- quoted on radio- ONLY WILL PLAY AT THE SAINTS- thats his intention.

will be made very known to other clubs I guess.
he spoke to producers of SEN from germany
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 21 Nov 2007 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
|Andy|
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Fraser- quoted on radio- ONLY WILL PLAY AT THE SAINTS- thats his intention.

will be made very known to other clubs I guess.
spoke to producers of SEN.
i hope ur right. the first thing i thought when i looked at the words, Gehirg,"change of heart", was u bastard!!! but then i looked into it more, and reaslised that his change of heart wasnt to go to another club.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Wow.

I heard this on the radio on the way to work and was shocked, speechless.

Cant believe this is happening!

What a day, eh?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Does that make that poor little kids jumper worth less??? :lol:

This is the freakiest news ever IMO. I'd love to see another season out of the big rig!! Come on Fraze, come back buddy! :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
westy
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
busso mick wrote:I've got a nasty feeling in my waters about this, the Tony Lockett comeback springs to mind. Dame Nellie Gehrig, don't do it.
Ditto.

I'm not too sure that Tony Locket was in a similar physical or mental state when he made his comeback though

I'm livin' in a madhouse