St Kilda on the move ....To Frankston

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LennyBoy
Club Player

Some snapshots (and new members photos) from our potential next home.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The Councillor on SEN did say that he thought the club were going to purchase a hotel type setup somewhere to act as the social facility for the club.

I guess we retain the existing number of pokies machines at Moorabbin in a rotting building ... and another council receives all our money ...

WTF are the Kingston Council on? Seriously, they have lost everything out of this and gained nothing, except a rotting ground for the next 40 years.

karnak, you were spot on.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:From an interview with the Frankston councillor on SEN, St Kilda are not locating the social club at Frankston. They will instead buy a hotel or country club type setup somewhere closer to the city that will become their "social base"

We still have a 40-year lease on Moorabbin, and I imagine there are conditions to that lease in terms of maintaining the ground etc., so it will be interesting to see what happens there

It was suggested in the other thread by a "source" that the players were not pleased with Casey at all, and their preference was Moorabbin.
So if the above is true...why didnt we just shift the Social Club out of the City of Kingston and go ahead and redevelop Moorabbin Oval??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thank god for Eastlink !!

According to their propoganda it will take me approx 22 mins to get from my home in Vermont to Frankston. That is for the 1-2 times a year that I get to training/intraclub game !!

karnak
Club Player

I would suggest that it probably is a result of a massive falling out with the Council. Maybe, there dealings are now past even a semi working relationship.

As i've said, wouldnt' be surprised if we end up back at Moorabbin if there is a change of council in the future. They'd beg to have us back.

But in the meantime maybe Harvey for 2009 too!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
LennyBoy
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Thank god for Eastlink !!

According to their propoganda it will take me approx 22 mins to get from my home in Vermont to Frankston. That is for the 1-2 times a year that I get to training/intraclub game !!
Thats providing you don't let LukeL26 drive you there on the Eastlink. :wink:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Thank god for Eastlink !!

It's ok for you eastern, you don't have to dodge the trucks on your back streets, see a lovely park in yarran darran get destroyed and have dust caked on your car every week. But as long as it saves you a couple of minutes :wink: (sorry for the rant, it's disgusting and the only positive is that it's a tollway).

Perhaps we will buy the white elephant in ringwood off collingwood for a cheap price and turn it into a social club 22 minutes away from the training base :wink: means my money will go to a good cause :P

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
jezza
Club Player

The move

With the move to Frankston,what will be the implications for the Casey Scorps and the Alingment deal with the saints.You would think that over time the alingmeent with Saints will be over.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Good question jezza.

Saints are not making the move until 2009 to Frankston according to that article (it will be fitting that we win a flag in our first and last years at Moorabbin then :) ), so I imagine the Casey alignment would continue next year at least.

The logical move then would be to align ourselves with the Frankston Dolphins.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The move

jezza wrote:With the move to Frankston,what will be the implications for the Casey Scorps and the Alingment deal with the saints.You would think that over time the alingmeent with Saints will be over.
It's an interesting one, with so much angst over banfield's decision to not go on full time, the loss of important backroom men and senior players. The councillor on SEN said that frankston still wanted to go alone but would it not make sense to align? maybe they need to smooth over some locals over a couple of years?

FQF
In richo I trust

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: The move

jezza wrote:With the move to Frankston,what will be the implications for the Casey Scorps and the Alingment deal with the saints.You would think that over time the alingmeent with Saints will be over.
Very good point..I was actually about to start a new thread on this...

The Saints and Frankston are a natural fit..wear the same colours, Frankston dont have an alignment currently, and we are about to share a training base..however the Saints have just had a major say in the selection of the new Scorps coach..so seems like they are in there for the long-ish haul

The more I think about it, the more I'd hope we'd take the plunge, put all our eggs in one basket and adopt Frankston from 2009. We are going to invest a lot of time and money in aligning ourselves with the Frankston area. Having the VFL Club as a feeder team would help that along massively imho

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
casey scorp
Club Player

stkfc66 wrote:StKFC reckon the issue is all about the pokies yet they wont have pokies or a social club at the new setup. Doesnt make sense to me.
It’s got nothing to do with poker machines – it’s to do with getting into elite training facilities. It was a question of who would contribute how much. Two points – capital expenditure for the facilities and recurrent expenditure to reduce operating costs for the club.

The equation revolved around:

• which Council would contribute the most in capital and recurrent (probably Casey)
• access to water facilities
• access to café culture for the players.

Frankston had the advantage of the beach for recovery, the future Frankston leisure centre to be built (ie including pool, gyms etc), and the central activity centre ambience for players. Don’t underestimate the last point – it would have been very significant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:From an interview with the Frankston councillor on SEN, St Kilda are not locating the social club at Frankston. They will instead buy a hotel or country club type setup somewhere closer to the city that will become their "social base"

We still have a 40-year lease on Moorabbin, and I imagine there are conditions to that lease in terms of maintaining the ground etc., so it will be interesting to see what happens there

It was suggested in the other thread by a "source" that the players were not pleased with Casey at all, and their preference was Moorabbin.
So if the above is true...why didnt we just shift the Social Club out of the City of Kingston and go ahead and redevelop Moorabbin Oval??

Because a rabid few at Kingston do not want the Saints....if it was not the pokies they would have used some other conditions to stop it.

The fact that their own rate payers are now denied fantastic facilities does not matter to them.

They are only concerned by their own vedettas and egos.....and wil be popping champagne cors celebrating today completely oblivious to the announcement actually being BAD NEWS for those that live and work in or near Moorabbin.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well at least with it being Frankston Banger's missus will probably let Banger play a few more years now :wink: :D :wink: :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Because a rabid few at Kingston do not want the Saints....if it was not the pokies they would have used some other conditions to stop it.

The fact that their own rate payers are now denied fantastic facilities does not matter to them.

They are only concerned by their own vedettas and egos.....and wil be popping champagne cors celebrating today completely oblivious to the announcement actually being BAD NEWS for those that live and work in or near Moorabbin.
I would hate to say it but it would be a little ironic if they sold off the parkland (see carpark) for a housing development in the near future ;)

FQF
In richo I trust

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Now we have moved interstate do we get all the benefits the AFL is offering the Kangaroos?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spiral2
Club Player

pretty happy with that, better location than casey. wish I still lived down that way.

bit of a worry though, Frankston's infamous four pub corner is about 100m from the ground. could be saints disco mark 2 :wink:

it's a nice ground though, sits up on a small hill and overlooks the water a bit.
nicer spot than moorabbin or casey

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Does this even really matter?

I couldn't care if our 'home' was Nauru.

We don't play there. So what does it really matter?

We play at Docklands - which we share with other clubs. The closest thing that is to being our 'home' is when our name appears first in the fixture and they put up red, white and black balloons in the Social Club.

AFL clubs have no identity anyway anymore. The only clubs that do, are the ones that play at their home ground - and don't share it.

Geelong.
Brisbane.
Sydney.

That's it.

Half the time when I go to a game at Docklands, I don't even know whether it's a home game or not. I just swipe my full membership and walk in.

Whether we wear white jumpers or our real jumper doesn't even correlate with out 'home' anymore.

Black shorts, white shorts - doesn't matter.

Where the boys train really only effects them.

If our Board pulls some miracle out it's coight and gets the AFL to schedule H&A games at this new 'super stadium' - then it will matter. Until then, who cares?

spiral2
Club Player

i do

casey scorp
Club Player

Something else Cr Conroy said on SEN this morning, when asked about carparking, that will all be addressed through a planning process. Well, if there's a planning process involved, then there may well be objections and you would forget 2009.

It'll also be interesting when the costs of the project have to be met. You can be sure that there will be some disaffected people, who will use it as an election issue. There's a Council election in 2008 in Frankston.

spiral2
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:Something else Cr Conroy said on SEN this morning, when asked about carparking, that will all be addressed through a planning process. Well, if there's a planning process involved, then there may well be objections and you would forget 2009.
yeah there's not a lot of parking there from memory. no dramas though, just bulldoze the nearby church. the centrelink office nearby has more parking than bunnings and that's closed on the weekends isn't it? :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:The logical move then would be to align ourselves with the Frankston Dolphins.
a bit sad for the casey crew, but i agree.

the dolphins have been a strong club over the years and such a relationship would be mutually beneficial.

all-in-all i think this is a good move by the club. frankston is a big city with lots of local business and sponsorship we can tap into.

is burkey from down that way?

RooandKosi
Club Player

Does this mean we will affiliate with frankston VFL???

Thats a bonus cause casey suk and its closer.

Well at least we will have better facilities AND for an omen we won a flag 2 years into the moorabbin move.

HOWEVER Frankston is an hour 20min drive to telstra dome im sure the players will love that. Compare that to most other clubs we are now the new geelong in terms of tgravel expect players to want to be traded in 2009.

FRANKSTON??? what a joke!! I wonder whether the board ever considered junction oval?? STKILDA!!! we are called bloody STKILDA!!! why not move there??

The frankston saints ey?? well sammy is gonna love this!!

Then again frankston (south of course) does have a lot to offer. We could benefit hugely from this!! i hope we do and i think we must be going to otherwise we wouldnt be going.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

RooandKosi wrote:Does this mean we will affiliate with frankston VFL???

Thats a bonus cause casey suk and its closer.

Well at least we will have better facilities AND for an omen we won a flag 2 years into the moorabbin move.

HOWEVER Frankston is an hour 20min drive to telstra dome im sure the players will love that. Compare that to most other clubs we are now the new geelong in terms of tgravel expect players to want to be traded in 2009.

FRANKSTON??? what a joke!! I wonder whether the board ever considered junction oval?? STKILDA!!! we are called bloody STKILDA!!! why not move there??

The frankston saints ey?? well sammy is gonna love this!!
seriously kiddo, think before you post, junction oval was never in the picture, apart from a very good cricket club owning the facilties it is heritage listed.

FQF
In richo I trust

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well given two boards couldn't come to an agreement, its clearly falls on the failure of kingston council.

my own limited experience with them is very poor.

they are dogmatic bullys.

Im glad st kilda didn't buckle to them, however dissappointed we are moving to frankston.

I would have prefered casey for purely selfish reasons, my first choice is obviously moorabin, however if st kilda win out of this it can only be good.

kingston lose the opportunity to have a club/council/government funded A class community centre, gymnasium and sports oval.

losers = everyone except st kilda and frankston

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!