Trade Week (Updated - Mattner to Swans 4:40pm Tues)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I'm happy to hear we're out there and hunting.

I'll judge any deal done on the merits after it closes, 3 years @800k for Blake sounds ridiculous to me, but I have no idea what market value is for a good 2nd ruckman, or what it will do to our salary cap setup. That kind of figure would imply to me that we want Blake to nominate for preseason draft, and Richmond to pass on him because of the $$$ in a front loaded contract. But I'm just speculating on how to make those numbers add up to something other than "huh?"... the $$$ are the bribe out of next years premiership favourites, the salary probably not 266kpa implied, hopefully a trade would mean a lower salary, but if it's frontloaded, you've got to think that we'd have a pretty firm grasp on where next years salary cap figure sits right now.

I'd rather have Wood than Blake, but if Collingwood are offing up a round 1 pick, that's too rich for my blood. Blake's the cheaper option, and the more likey to move (Wood remains under contract)...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
dascman
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:You seriously have to hope we won't go in for Blake unless the offer is seriously skewed in our favour.

He's an average ruckman who's not worth that kind of money. Cameron Wood is a vastly superior prospect.

I'd rather pick up King for next to nothing than give up heaps for Blake. I'd also be loitering around to see what happens with Ben Hudson - that's not a done deal with the Dogs just yet.

Chris Johnson doesn't interest me either, unless it involved us getting rid of deadwood.

Kane Tenace arouses some interest. He'd be available well under the odds and he definitely has the capacity to become a very good player.
Best hit-outs to advantage in the league (average 14 per game). Surely our on-ballers would benefit from that. He is only 22, he should be our first choice. For a pick in the 20s (i.e. 2nd round), he would be a steal.

But the prices being spoken about...800k over the 3 years, is just ludicrous. That's at least 100k over the odds per year.

Since when is Wood that good anyway? He really hasn't shown THAT much, he had a decent NAB Cup, and fell off the radar extremely quickly after that.

Speaking to a Geelong supporter, he's laughing at the figures bandied about over Blake, but he says that he would rather keep him, and that he will be a gun ruckman in the future. (This is a SENSIBLE Geelong fan).

He would also laugh if we get Steven King (At any price), there is just far too great a risk in picking him up, especially as he won't just leave for nothing.

And Chris Johnson? No thanks. He'd be perfect at Fremantle. 8-)
Last edited by dascman on Tue 09 Oct 2007 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

All this interest in ruckmen mean two things to me..

1. That Gardy's foot is not 100%

2. That Kosi is our new FF

That being the case, Id reckon the names Brooks and Watts will be bandied around this week as trade. Can we, a team that is screaming out for quick mids, afford to have Gardy, Rix, Brooks, Watts and Blake/King/Wood all in the squad? (and VR rookied)

With Rix as our backup ruckman, surely one of Brooks and Watts cannot be kept?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dascman
Club Player

saint66au wrote:All this interest in ruckmen mean two things to me..

1. That Gardy's foot is not 100%

2. That Kosi is our new FF

That being the case, Id reckon the names Brooks and Watts will be bandied around this week as trade. Can we, a team that is screaming out for quick mids, afford to have Gardy, Rix, Brooks, Watts and Blake/King/Wood all in the squad? (and VR rookied)

With Rix as our backup ruckman, surely one of Brooks and Watts cannot be kept?
We need depth, they have probably realised that Rix isn't the answer, and Gardiner can't play 120 minutes in the ruck at all, let alone every week (that's if he even plays at all).

Kosi at FF could kick 70-80 goals per season. Fact.

fisher_fan
Club Player

Anyone know anything about Chris Johnson?

Why aren't we chasing Travis Johnstone? I would rather give pick 26 for him than Blake or this Johnson character.

I would rather get Johnstone and Carrol for 26 & Milne than anything else at the moment....all speculation from me

such is life
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

fisher_fan wrote:Anyone know anything about Chris Johnson?

Why aren't we chasing Travis Johnstone? I would rather give pick 26 for him than Blake or this Johnson character.

I would rather get Johnstone and Carrol for 26 & Milne than anything else at the moment....all speculation from me
NO to both IMHO. Johnstone, Travis is as soft as butter and Carroll is the biggest fruitcake in the AFL

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Johnstone, Travis is as soft as butter
Would probably fit in well down at Linton Street.....

8-)

fisher_fan
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
fisher_fan wrote:Carroll is the biggest fruitcake in the AFL
He does resemble a fruitcake. Would be good to have another strong defender though....but i suppose we need a ruckman/forward/midfielder first

such is life
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Caroll pfft

All MOE and no GO!!!

Pseudo Tough Guy - no thanks.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

[quote="fisher_fan]He does resemble a fruitcake.[/quote]
Heavy, fruity and rich?

Yep sounds like Carroll to me

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Wish we were in the running for Mattner and Morton - I like them both.

If Richmond do 18 for Morton 30, that's a bargain and a half.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Jared Moore anyone?

Frankston boy, tough in and under mid who can't break into the Swans line up.

Worked closely wityh RL in Sydney.

If we didn't give up too much say a 3rd round pick he might be worth a shot!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Certainly agree on Mattner, a hard at it, hard tackling half back flanker with a raking left foot. Would free Gram into the midfield and add hardness and acountability to our backline.

Much better than 'Yosemite' Carroll, a more p@ss weak cartoon character of a defender I've never seen. I still vividly remember him and that other hard man of football Rivers trying to goad and rough up an obviously injured Robert Harvey in that final a season ago. Weak C@#ts!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

From BomberBlitz (good wrap up)

Essendon
Essendon utility Kepler Bradley, 21, has what looks to be a prohibitive first-round price attached to his future, with Essendon, who drafted him three years ago with pick six, maintaining that nothing less than a late first-round selection will enable him to move. (The Age)

Wingman Ricky Dyson received strong interest, while veteran defender Mark Johnson was being linked with Port Adelaide and Fremantle. (The Age)
The Dockers, are one of the clubs interested in Dyson. (The Age)

Essendon is looking to find new homes for Kepler Bradley and Mark Johnson and yesterday threw Ricky Dyson's name into trading. (The Australian)

ESSENDON coach Matthew Knights says the Bombers have received some expressions of interest in big man Kepler Bradley and utility Mark Johnson. (Geelong Advertiser)

Troy Selwood
The Kangaroos… are trying to lure Brisbane Lions midfielder Troy Selwood home to Victoria. The out-of-contract Lions' midfielder met the Kangaroos last week and is at a stalemate in contract talks with the Lions. (The Age)

Jordan McMahon
Out-of-contract Bulldog Jordan McMahon could be reunited with former coach Terry Wallace, with Richmond expressing keen interest in him, while Port Adelaide also is believed to be eager. The Dogs are likely to seek a second-round draft pick for McMahon. (The Age)

PORT Adelaide has emerged as a potential new home for Western Bulldogs defender Jordan McMahon. (Herald Sun)

Sam Power
Power, could be swapped to the Kangaroos for a mid-to-low pick before Friday's deadline. Sydney also had a nibble at Power yesterday. Brisbane is not pursuing a reunion. (Herald Sun)

Bulldog Sam Power could be going to Sydney, for a third- or fourth-round selection, but that trade might yet be complicated by the Kangaroos' interest in him. (The Age)

Brisbane or the Kangaroos, who have both indicated interest in the services of Sam Power. (The Australian)

Ben Hudson
Adelaide has told the Dogs it wants a pick of 29 or below for the 28-year-old. The Dogs have picks 22 and 38, but do not want to give up 22. (Herald Sun)

The Western Bulldogs are reluctant to depart with pick 22 for out-of-contract Adelaide player Ben Hudson but are attempting to secure another second-round selection to satisfy the Crows. (The Australian)

The Western Bulldogs were moving closer to the idea of giving up their second-round pick, selection 22, for another Adelaide ruckman, Ben Hudson (The Age)

Martin Mattner
Martin Mattner's passage to Sydney for a three-year deal with the Swans that is likely to lead to their second-round selection, pick 28, and possibly Stephen Doyle, going to the Crows. (The Age)

Mattner, 25, is almost certainly bound for the Swans in return for a second-round pick. It is understood the Swans have offered him a three-year deal. (Herald Sun)

Mattner is contracted to the Crows for next season but at age 25, has been offered a three-year deal by the Swans, who have placed a post-season priority on rejuvenating their midfield stocks. (The Australian)

Tim Boyle
Hawthorn has put a second-round price on the head of forward Tim Boyle. (The Age)

Hawthorn list manager Chris Pelchen said he had received strong interest in forward Tim Boyle but questioned whether a trade would be done. "Tim wants to stay with us and we have extended his contract so I doubt anything will happen," Boyle said. (The Australian) *see typo

Jarryd Roughead
Hawthorn has insisted that Jarryd Roughead, whom many clubs inquired after, is off limits. (The Age)

Byron Schammer and Ryan Murphy
The Dockers, who fielded interest in forward Ryan Murphy and Byron Schammer (The Age)

Richard Hadley
Carlton and Fremantle are interested in out-of-contract Brisbane midfielder Richard Hadley. (The Age)

But the Lions are resigned to losing Hadley, who played in a premiership win in his seventh senior game in 2003.

Although he managed 14 games in 2007, the West Australian was unable to cement a permanent spot in his preferred midfield position and might find more opportunity elsewhere. It is understood Hadley could be headed for Carlton to join West Coast champion Chris Judd in a new-look Blues engine room. (Courier Mail)

Justin Sherman
BRISBANE has declared out-of-sorts youngster Justin Sherman off limits. Lions CEO Michael Bowers said the club was aware Sherman had attracted interest from several lowly placed Melbourne clubs but stressed the 20-year-old Tasmanian was a required player. (Courier Mail)

Tim Callan
The Bulldogs are also confident of completing a deal for Geelong fringe player Tim Callan. A low draft pick should be enough to snare the hard-running defender. (Herald Sun)

The Bulldogs also flagged their interest in Geelong midfielder Tim Callan but will not be able to make an offer until the Hudson deal is done. (The Australian)

Brad Symes
Essendon have also expressed an interest in securing Brad Symes from Port Adelaide but talks are only at the preliminary stage. (Herald Sun)

Port Adelaide's Brad Symes, the last player picked in this year's grand final, may also be on the move. (The Australian)

John Meesen
Melbourne expressed confidence that a deal for young Adelaide ruckman John Meesen would be done. For now however, the price is a sticking point. Adelaide wants a second round pick, Melbourne is willing to offer their third. (The Australian)

The Demons are attempting to strike a deal with Adelaide for ruckman John Meesen. (Herald Sun)

Melbourne offered its third round-selection, pick 37, for Adelaide ruckman John Meesen, an offer that was refused. The Crows want a second-round selection for the player they chose with pick eight in the 2004 national draft. (The Age)

Travis Johnstone and Nathan Carroll
MELBOURNE has delivered a loud wake-up call to Travis Johnstone and Nathan Carroll, putting both up for trade.

Both are under contract next year and will stay at the Demons if deals are not struck
Although reports have suggested Johnstone was not in hot demand, Connolly said clubs were starting to swoop. "There's been a lot of interest. Solid interest," he said. Sydney one of the clubs interested. (Hearld Sun)

MELBOURNE have received little interest in silky midfielder Travis Johnstone, despite floating his name in discussions (Geelong Advertiser)

Brad Miller
Despite speculation he could be on the move, Brad Miller is a lot less likely to be traded by the end of the week. The Swans have made their intentions on Miller clear, but it would have to be a very juicy offer to entice the Demons. (Herald Sun)

Mitch Morton
Richmond and West Coast seem set to strike a deal over Eagle Mitch Morton, with West Coast mindful of needing to trade Morton and protect itself in the Chris Judd negotiations. (The Age)

RICHMOND is poised to secure the first leg of a potential "Morton Brothers" double after meeting West Coast yesterday. The Tigers are confident they will trade for Mitch Morton, a periphery forward for the Eagles, and are entertaining taking his brother Cale in the national draft. (Herald Sun)

Mark Blake
ST KILDA moved straight to the heart of a heated market for ruckmen yesterday by offering a three-year contract to Geelong's Mark Blake that, financially, is likely to be beyond the premiers to match.

Whether the Saints are prepared to go as far as offering their first-round selection (pick nine) to Geelong for Blake was unclear last night but they were conceding that they will need to trade given the interest from Richmond, among others, in the follower. (The Age)

Richmond football director Greg Miller said the Tigers remained unsure about Blake's intentions. (Geelong Advertiser)

Stephen King
The Saints are less interested in King who, at 28, is six years older than Blake, but the former captain is likely to be the player the Cats release if one has to go — especially if money has to be found to improve Blake's offer against the salary cap pressure that will inevitably increase as the club seeks to hold its premiership list together. (The Age)

Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair and Kane Tennace
The Cats indicated yesterday that they are prepared to discuss Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair and Kane Tenace. (The Age)

Brent Prismall
Geelong would not budge on Prismall despite interest from Essendon and Melbourne. (The Age)

Chris Johnson (Melbourne)
Whether the Saints, who also have an interest in Melbourne's Chris Johnson. (The Age)

Cameron Wood
Collingwood, like the Tigers and Saints, were declaring their interest in Brisbane ruckman Cameron Wood. The Magpies were contemplating the possibility of giving up their first-round pick, selection 14, to put the contracted 20-year-old into a black-and-white jumper. (The Age)

Damon White
THE Bulldogs have expressed interest in Port Adelaide key forward Damon White, but the Power say they expect to keep him. (Geelong Advertiser)

PORT ADELAIDE key forward Damon White - on contract - drew attention from several clubs. (Adelaide Now)[/QUOTE]

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'd give up a 3rd round pick for Hadley. He's had a year now to get over his knee troubles and can find a lot of the ball as well as carry it.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

I note an appeared lack of interest in our depth listed players.....

our depth is in fact shallow??.

saint4life
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:I note an appeared lack of interest in our depth listed players.....

How do you know? Have you sat at the table with the Saints staff during trade talks? Please fill us in on the news. :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
chook23
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
chook23 wrote:I note an appeared lack of interest in our depth listed players.....

How do you know? Have you sat at the table with the Saints staff during trade talks? Please fill us in on the news. :roll:
read the words APPEARED lack

formed from radio various club interviews
media

just noted no mention

I DID not say NO INTEREST

saint4life
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Geelong who has the best depth according to sum have had only interest in Blake and Prismall according to the media and press so it means nothing. We only hear what they want us to hear.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Batnoe

I want Prismall or hadley in that lot, however Hadley doesnt kick it a lot and more of a link handballer, not what we need, we mess around with the ball too much as it is, we wont long direct kicking with speed out of the backline and quickly into the forward

gosaints
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:Jared Moore anyone?

Frankston boy, tough in and under mid who can't break into the Swans line up.

Worked closely wityh RL in Sydney.

If we didn't give up too much say a 3rd round pick he might be worth a shot!
Yep good call Joffa... He is a player whom I have watched over the last 2 preseasons and I definately like the look of him. Would be a top 22 player with us.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Would love both Brooks and Watts to be traded, but are they of any value to any club?

I mean, is there one club that would say take both of them for a third round pick?

Let's be realistic.....I think my call would be as optimistic as you could hope for....

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Would love both Brooks and Watts to be traded, but are they of any value to any club?

I mean, is there one club that would say take both of them for a third round pick?

Let's be realistic.....I think my call would be as optimistic as you could hope for....
In a word: why?

Sure Brooks hasn't done anything and if not delisted owes it to retirements meaning there's no need for the list spot, but it's hardly an indictment on Watts to have not broken into the Saints forward line given the quality and circumstances... but what is added by dumping even brooks given we're already likely taking at least 1 pick at the tail end of a draft without a strong tail? Save Brooks to be one of the 3 delistees next year.

Let them fight for a forward spot in Gehrig's wake. We're certainly not getting anything of value for Brooks at this stage , and I'd be surprised if we could for Watts...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Would love both Brooks and Watts to be traded, but are they of any value to any club?

In a word: why?

Sure Brooks hasn't done anything and if not delisted owes it to retirements meaning there's no need for the list spot, but it's hardly an indictment on Watts to have not broken into the Saints forward line given the quality and circumstances... but what is added by dumping even brooks given we're already likely taking at least 1 pick at the tail end of a draft without a strong tail? Save Brooks to be one of the 3 delistees next year.

Let them fight for a forward spot in Gehrig's wake. We're certainly not getting anything of value for Brooks at this stage , and I'd be surprised if we could for Watts...
Good reasoning Bam.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:but what is added by dumping even brooks given we're already likely taking at least 1 pick at the tail end of a draft without a strong tail? Save Brooks to be one of the 3 delistees next year.
What would be the point of keeping him on the list for next year's delistings if his attitude and application doesn't change and he continues to stagnate in the magoos?

I would rather use a late draft pick to develop a youngster than just hang onto Brooks for the sake of it.