new talent....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

new talent....

how many saints players have won rising star nominations in recent years........flower all......

....gilbert was our only winner this year...he also won our most promising new player award......daylight was second.....

...i am sick of the club trading away ..or wasting our first round draft pick since we got goddard in 2002.......that's 5 flowering years.....ffs....

..i want to see some excellent young talent around the club...this years draft might look a little thin..but there are at least 15 top class potential 200 game players to be drafted....stop all this sh!t about trading away our no 9 draft pick...and our future...

i am really worried that shytney have traded their early draft picks in recent years...now they are on the slide with an aging side and no young talent to speak of.....don't do the same to st kilda ross lyon....... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Sun 07 Oct 2007 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

agree...unless we can get a gun 23 y.o or younger player for pick 9 it better be kept.

There is excellent talent lasting untill round 3 of the draft, then it becomes a gamble. Chances are we will be able to get two long term key players if we keep pick 9 and 26

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

agree stinger..this is one area where we have struggled in for the last couple of years. Our first 2 picks should not be traded.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

considering we have been in the top half of the league for the past few years we have not received the definate gun we usually would get if we finished low

the onus is obviously more on the recruiting department

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree.

Raph Clarke won a nomination late in '05, and Gilbo in '07. That's two in 3 years.

Apart from Sydney, that is the lowest number in that period of time.

Last year we did well - Armitage, Howard and Allen were good selections. I would like to see us add another 3 kids of equivalent quality this time around.

We need to take a Palmer/Myer/Rioli type at #9 and the best available at #26.

Time to stock up on kids again.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Agree stinger

I would even try to trade for another first rounder or second rounder by trading a second-tier player combined with a third round pick etc. We should then look to these draftees to step up straight into the second or third tier of our first 22. Collingwood showed what could be achieved by blooding youngsters throughout the course of the season. Quality youngsters, prone to making the odd mistake or two in their formative seasons, are still better value than the mid-range, slow types like Birss who are essentially just GOPs.

The Saints are coming!
RoseInOz
Club Player

BUT I think part of the problem was that our rookies/young players did not get a chance to play in the last few years. I whinged about GT and him not playing those young players more. At least Ross Lyon gave some of them a go.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Quite true, what ever youngsters we get we must give them a go. At least give them a taste, see how they handle and let them know how hard they have to work to reach the standard required.

We cannot afford to keep mid size players on our list for 4 seasons, ala Houlihan, and not at least see what they can do in the big stuff. You never know some may suffer from the Shane Warne Sheffield Shield v Test Cricket syndrome.

Washedup
Club Player

how many saints players have won rising star nominations in recent years........flower all......

....gilbert was our only winner this year...he also won our most promising new player award......daylight was second.....

...i am sick of the club trading away ..or wasting our first round draft pick since we got goddard in 2002.......that's 5 flowering years.....ffs....

..i want to see some excellent young talent around the club...this years draft might look a little thin..but there are at least 15 top class potent 200 game players to be drafted....stop all this sh!t about trading away our no 9 draft pick...and our future...

i am really worried that shytney have traded their early draft picks in recent years...now they are on the slide with an aging side and no young talent to speak of.....don't do the same to st kilda ross lyon.......
Good post Stinger and i agree. We need to keep both 1st and 2nd round picks and stock up on some good young talent which is the area in which our list is sorely lacking. Sydney have definitely traded away their picks, but there hasn't been signs of RL doing so as we kept both 1st and 2nd rounds last season. Unfortunately we started drafting away those early picks once GT thought he had enough talent to deliver a flag and the list is paying for it now.
IMO the only way we should trade either of those 2 picks is if there is a deal that we deem is severely weighted in our favour

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to RoseInOz

"ST KILDA

"There's probably two phases where you're super-aggressive in the trade period where you think 'we've got to make some drastic changes', but we're not in that situation. We're more of a mindset that if we didn't trade at all it wouldn’t greatly concern us; we're quite happy to go with the kids from the draft pool. But if a club came to us and said 'look we really want a certain player and we're prepared to do this and this' we'd listen. I think we wouldn't be doing due diligence if we didn't. With regard to the draft, it's no secret that the St Kilda Football Club is looking for a bit of run so we're paying particular interest to them, but we've got to keep a general view too because with pick nine you can't be 100 per cent sure [who's going to be available]. You can't target a couple of players because they might not be there."

Recruiting manager John Peake. "

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabi ... wsId=52247

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Last year we did well - Armitage, Howard and Allen were good selections.
Interesting call.

Armitage seems to have drawn more critics then admirers, Howard is still very much an unknown quantity - not great for a pick 27 - and nobody is quite sure what Allen is up to with injuries and his body.

Looks below average to me thus far, but, stating the obvious, there's plenty of time on their side.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Last year we did well - Armitage, Howard and Allen were good selections.
Interesting call.

Armitage seems to have drawn more critics then admirers, Howard is still very much an unknown quantity - not great for a pick 27 - and nobody is quite sure what Allen is up to with injuries and his body.

Looks below average to me thus far, but, stating the obvious, there's plenty of time on their side.
Yeah they have been pretty ordinary but what I don't unnderstand is why we thought that Voss would be a better selection than Howard, both would have done very little but atleast Howard would have got some experience into him.
Hopefully with more control over Casey our players will develop more than they have been and if we can get a few good recruits we still have a bright future. Realistically 20 out of our starting 22 should be with us for atleast the next 3 years. If we can get these young recruits to become solid backup players and maybe even a couple of them forcing their way into the side we will still be contenders...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: new talent....

stinger wrote:how many saints players have won rising star nominations in recent years........flower all......

..i want to see some excellent young talent around the club...this years draft might look a little thin..but there are at least 15 top class potent 200 game players to be drafted....stop all this sh!t about trading away our no 9 draft pick...and our future...

i am really worried that shytney have traded their early draft picks in recent years...now they are on the slide with an aging side and no young talent to speak of.....don't do the same to st kilda ross lyon....... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
There is nothing wrong with trading away draft picks as long as it is for young players who have promise not older players so anyone under 23-24 is ok IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Totally agree.

Raph Clarke won a nomination late in '05, and Gilbo in '07. That's two in 3 years.

Apart from Sydney, that is the lowest number in that period of time.

Last year we did well - Armitage, Howard and Allen were good selections. I would like to see us add another 3 kids of equivalent quality this time around.

We need to take a Palmer/Myer/Rioli type at #9 and the best available at #26.

Time to stock up on kids again.
You are easily pleased if you think we have done well. We may do well but we havent done well.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SAINTS recruiters....

Media report have SAINTS recruiters speaking to a number of ruckmen at the draft camp.

Brent CONNELLY - Gippsland
Joel SMOUHA - QLD

I imagine our recuiters spoke to most of the lads there, but it was interesting the both lads indicated that the only spoke to a few clubs and CONNELLY with the SAINTS twice...Both are smaller more mobile type ruckman who can kick goals.

Both lads are not likely to be early picks hence you can look for the SAINTS to be going for ruckmen in the 3rd or 4th rounds of the draft.......

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS recruiters....

WinnersOnly wrote:Media report have SAINTS recruiters speaking to a number of ruckmen at the draft camp.

Brent CONNELLY - Gippsland
Joel SMOUHA - QLD

I imagine our recuiters spoke to most of the lads there, but it was interesting the both lads indicated that the only spoke to a few clubs and CONNELLY with the SAINTS twice...Both are smaller more mobile type ruckman who can kick goals.

Both lads are not likely to be early picks hence you can look for the SAINTS to be going for ruckmen in the 3rd or 4th rounds of the draft.......
The Carlton head recruiter was saying that the club (Carlton) would speak informally to pretty much all the players at the camp and then 30 players in formal interviews.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Ben McKinley

Ben McKinley
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 27
Height: 184
Weight: 82
DOB: 04-03-1987
Recruited From: Old Ivanhoe/Northern U18
Career Matches: 0
Career Goals: 0
2007 Home & Away Totals
Matches: 1
Goals: 1
Marks: 2
Disposals: 5
Kicks: 4

Kicked 40 goals in the WAFL this year - could be our small/medium option. Is out of contract and may want to retun to VIC...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
You are easily pleased if you think we have done well. We may do well but we havent done well.
I meant we did well in that we drafted young kids instead of players who had been tried at another club, or traded our picks for players.

We will "do well" again this year if we draft 4 new players onto the list.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[

There is nothing wrong with trading away draft picks as long as it is for young players who have promise not older players so anyone under 23-24 is ok IMO.
...really.????????????.....watts, brooks,briss, aclkand, knobel and guerra ring any bells....ffs........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

...really.????????????.....watts, brooks,briss, aclkand, knobel and guerra ring any bells....ffs........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ackland was taken in the draft...not traded

but i agree, especially with brooks

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
stinger wrote:

ackland was taken in the draft...not traded

but i agree, especially with brooks
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ....don't know what i was thinking..... :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Nothing wrong with Guerra but that is not the point. It depends on who you trade for. And by the way has every young player drafted made it. No. I could use examples like you but what is the point. So if Judd is available you do not take him because he is not a first year player. Get real. All am saying if you offered a trade in your favour you take it no matter what pick.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Nothing wrong with Guerra but that is not the point. It depends on who you trade for. And by the way has every young player drafted made it. No. I could use examples like you but what is the point. So if Judd is available you do not take him because he is not a first year player. Get real. All am saying if you offered a trade in your favour you take it no matter what pick.

judd is not on the table for us...you are the one that needs to get real...imhfo...i stick by my opriginal post...which seems to have more in support of it and only you against.....when have we ever been offered a trade in our favour..ffs....never..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

..nothing wrong with guerra you say....sure that's why we delisted him...he has an attitude problem as williams pointed out a few years ago...may have grown up now...may not have...clubs only offload players who..don't have it.....or are problem children....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

judd is not on the table for us...you are the one that needs to get real...imhfo...i stick by my opriginal post...which seems to have more in support of it and only you against.....when have we ever been offered a trade in our favour..ffs....never..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

..nothing wrong with guerra you say....sure that's why we delisted him...he has an attitude problem as williams pointed out a few years ago...may have grown up now...may not have...clubs only offload players who..don't have it.....or are problem children....
Just because most people agree with you doesnt mean I cant have an opinion if you get the right trade you should do it. And if I say ffs and have rolling eyes does that make what I am saying better.

Guerra may have had a problem at the Saints but maybe it is a club problem that we need to overcome. Happens far to often where players attitudes improve when they leave the saints.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Whoa..easy up there stinger..you'll be agreeing with B4E next ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor