It's Official - Blake is a Top Ten Player (B&F)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

It's Official - Blake is a Top Ten Player (B&F)

Well who would have thought, I always knew he had it in him. A just reward for his best season to date. Expect top 5 next year!!!*

*Well - perhaps not !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
eppo67
Club Player

Are you kidding!!!!!

Blake in the top 10 at our B & F no wonder we are going backwards.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

eppo67 wrote:Are you kidding!!!!!

He is Lucky Nine !!

SAINTS' TOP 10

Nick Riewoldt 529

Sam Fisher 488

Leigh Montagna 442

Nick Dal Santo 436

Lenny Hayes 422

Jason Gram 379

Robert Harvey 363

Fraser Gehrig 357

Jason Blake 350

Steven Baker 323

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - the Saints B&F is NOT a great measure of who the quality depth is... when up to ten guys are getting votes in a game, the most important factor is playing as many games as possible.

That said, good on Blake. He's not the 9th best player at the club, but a little (and I mean little) recognition of his value certainly doesn't go astray.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Quite ironic when you think about it.... Blake 9th in B&F... Saints 9th at end of season..... I think one is a symptom of the other (if you know what i mean).....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Well done Jason Blake.

Shows the nuffy morons who continually bag you on this forum up for what they are.

The votes for the B&F are done by knowledgable football people and not kneejerk reactive halfwits that wouldn't know a footballer if one was rammed up their arses :roll:

Good on you Jason Blake.

Stuff the whingers and knockers who have never pulled on a boot, have never played a game of competitive football (or probably any other sport for that matter).

You give you all every game and you are living the dream all of these envious nobodies would love to.

Keep it up and keep contributing.

Oh and well done Roo, Sam Fisher, and Joey. Well deserved.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

A reward for persistence is the best way I can think of describing Blake finishing 9th in the B & F. Good on him, pretty good effort at the elite level of football.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Well done Jason Blake.

Shows the nuffy morons who continually bag you on this forum up for what they are.

The votes for the B&F are done by knowledgable football people and not kneejerk reactive halfwits that wouldn't know a footballer if one was rammed up their arses :roll:

Good on you Jason Blake.

Stuff the whingers and knockers who have never pulled on a boot, have never played a game of competitive football (or probably any other sport for that matter).

You give you all every game and you are living the dream all of these envious nobodies would love to.

Keep it up and keep contributing.

Oh and well done Roo, Sam Fisher, and Joey. Well deserved.

here here, people on this forum should be ashamed of themselves.
we really do have some ... well I am not going to abuse, but I am very close to it.
Honestly the knockers of blake need to get off the fact he can play footy

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Blake is not a top 10 player - the system is doesn't work like that. Read this:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - the Saints B&F is NOT a great measure of who the quality depth is... when up to ten guys are getting votes in a game, the most important factor is playing as many games as possible.

That said, good on Blake. He's not the 9th best player at the club, but a little (and I mean little) recognition of his value certainly doesn't go astray.
The system favours those who play every game. It is not a measure of the Top 10 at the club !!

But good on Blake - had his best year at the club and as others have said, if everyone put in the same amount of effort, we would have won a flag.
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Sat 06 Oct 2007 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
1eyedNever
Club Player

Well

Well said JB hes not the most talentad player but if all the players played with the heart and courage Blake shows we would win the FLAG and if forum members would see that there love child Fiora needs to take a leave out of Blakes book and show what a No5 pick is supposed to be and do we may get a FLAG

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
RooandKosi
Club Player

yet there youll be patting him on the back when he wins you a flag you ungrateful *&^%$!!

He is a great tagger does more work than you know. Obvuiously your a footy fan who only sees goals and marks!!! theres to more to this great game than that. You need team players which blake is very much so. :evil:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

blake might not be to most talented player going around but he never gives less than 100 per cent, unlike some of his more talented colleagues.

good luck to him for finishing top 10. he deserves it. what worries me more is that a 37-year-old and a retiree (fraser) finished in our top 10.

we need more consistency from our younger players ... and fast

sax
Club Player

Re: Well

[quote="1eyedNever"]Well said JB hes not the most talentad player but if all the players played with the heart and courage Blake shows we would win the FLAG and if forum members would see that there love child Fiora needs to take a leave out of Blakes book and show what a No5 pick is supposed to be and do we may get a FLAG[/quote]

Be Fair!!! Fiora's been good for us this year & JB deserves his top 10 finish.
It wasn't Fiora's fault he went No.3 (not 5) in the draft! He probably didn't think he was gonna go that high either. It was just Richmonds poor recruiting (Pav went at 4 the same year)!
I love the Saints, but why do we always bag our players?
Fair enough, criticise, but only when it's due, Fiora & JB both had good years & if some of the other middle rung players could take a leaf out of BOTH of their books, we'd be a much better side!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

congratulations to roo on another best and fairest win........with a special mention to blake..a much maligned footballer...the top ten looks about right to me....... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ...wish i'd been there.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Agree with joffaboy.

Good on all players that did well in the b&f, and let's hope that all our players improve next year.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Blake has consistently been in our top 25 or so players since at least 2003, which - given all of our injury woes - means that he has been almost an automatic selection for this period.

The irony (particularly for the B4Es of this world) is that it would appear that Lyon foresees a long-term role for Blake as a mobile second or third ruckman in matches against teams with a relatively small ruck division. So I expect we will continue to see a lot of him in this role: which, IMO, is an excellent use of a player with his relatively limited range of skills.

Blake would be a much better player if he could begin to impose himself physically on the game. He seems to be quite a strong bloke, but to lack the confidence to go crashing into other players outside of the ruck situation. I'm not sure why this is: perhaps it dates back to the Stafford incident of 2004??

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

average players (the whipping boys) always make the top 10 early...

the supporters as a group do not rate them however they keep on getting games...i.e rowan jones from he west coast...

it happens...not all a team's top tier are going to have super years always for one reason or another...

congratulate him and move on people

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Its not so much the fact that Blake finished in the top 10, its more the fact that he beat players such as Fiora, Attard, Koschitzke, Gilbert and Ball. Even Milne and Leigh Fisher had better seasons than him.

As others have said, we are never going to win a premiership with Blake in your top 10 players.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

He's not in our top 10 players.

He finished top 10 in the B&F ... there's a difference.

The system of voting rewards players who play every match. If you miss 5+ games, it is very hard to poll well unless you are an exceptional player.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:He's not in our top 10 players.

He finished top 10 in the B&F ... there's a difference.

The system of voting rewards players who play every match. If you miss 5+ games, it is very hard to poll well unless you are an exceptional player.
i understand that but surely Fiora and Milne (who also played 22 games) had better seasons than Blake, especially Fiora.

Statsman
Club Player

It's an indictment on our club if a player the quality of Blake is able to poll 9th in the B&F. The players finishing 10th and lower need to really look at themselves.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:It's an indictment on our club if a player the quality of Blake is able to poll 9th in the B&F. The players finishing 10th and lower need to really look at themselves.
It's an indictment on the voting system. Not an indictment on the club.

Cain Ackland finished 7th in 2005. Was he the 7th best player at the club? Of course not.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

fiora drifted in and out of games way too much to get even close to blake's consistancy...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:fiora drifted in and out of games way too much to get even close to blake's consistancy...
at least he acctually got in the games...blake was consistantly out of the games

karnaby
Club Player

Congratulations Jason Blake.

It's a shame so many of his more esteemed teammates either succumbed to injury or did not work as hard as Blake did.

Two other points:
1.. The people who awarded the votes did so knowing how the players fulfilled the roles they were given & expected to perform. Whilst some of us might think that other players were more deserving of votes maybe the result reflects how well Blake performed the jobs that he was given.
2.. The voting system has changed. Over recent years winners polled roughly between 130 - 150 votes last night Roo got 529 votes. (IF it is simply a matter of there now being 5 times as many votes given per game then Roo's 529 equates to ~106 in previous years, which would have only got him 10th spot last year, so maybe that is a reflection on the whole team.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful