ben mcevoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

story on selwoopd from today's hun....

.."
Selwood set to join brothers
05 October 2007 Herald Sun
Daryl Timms

SCOTT Selwood is ready for the obvious comparisons.

scottselwood
Measuring up: Scott Selwood has his height and body fat recorded yesterday. Picture: Michael Dodge

At 17, he is the youngest of Bendigo's Selwood boys and, like his brothers before him, an AFL career awaits.

While the well-spoken Year 11 schoolboy wants to be his own footballer, he knows he has a long way to go before even playing his first league game, let alone matching the achievements of Adam at West Coast and Troy at the Brisbane Lions.

And then there's Joel, who made his debut with the Cats this year and won the Rising Star Award and played in Geelong's first premiership in 44 years.

Scott isn't daunted by the burden of his last name, but says he must get drafted first.

"If my name gets called, I'll be happy with that. But if not I'll spend another year in the TAC Cup and work twice as hard to get on to an AFL list," Scott said yesterday at the AFL draft camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

"My brothers have been pretty good to me and we have learnt off each other and sort of given each other tips. They have been a big part in my development. I think we have all got similar traits and pretty much do the same thing, but at the same time I am my own player."

Scott says his parents would prefer him to stay in Victoria -- if he was drafted by Sydney, Adelaide or Port Adelaide, Bryce and Maree would have sons playing AFL in four different states.

"In terms of going to say Western Australia, I don't think they'd mind as much," he said.

"I'm always going to move out of home no matter what, so it doesn't really faze me where I go. But Mum might have a different opinion on that and I think she would like to see me sticking around for another year. But I think she knows it's not going to happen."

Scott said he'd be happy if his family could achieve half as much as Daniher brothers Terry, Neale, Anthony and Chris, who once all played in the same Essendon side under coach Kevin Sheedy.

But just who gets the credit for producing the footy genes -- mum or dad?

"If you ask Mum, Mum would say Mum, and if you ask Dad, Dad would say Dad. But I don't know," Scott said.

"Dad used to run marathons . . . but in terms of footy I'm not sure where it came from as he only played twos for a country team."

A medium defender, Selwood won All-Australian selection this year in the national under-18 championships. Geelong has been one of the clubs to interview him at the camp.
"

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

and from the age.....

i have seen him rated higher...

..."Next Selwood on the move

Emma Quayle | October 5, 2007

THERE is a new rule for AFL recruiters travelling to Bendigo to meet Scott Selwood and his parents. If you're from a Victorian club, you can have a tasty snack. If not, you miss out.

"It's my mum's rule. She decided that people from interstate aren't allowed to have chocolate biscuits, but that everyone else can," laughed the fourth — and final — Selwood brother.

"She's getting a bit worried about me going, but it's not too bad. She knows the process, and it will be hard if I do have to go off somewhere, but we've all figured that out in the last few years. You just have to take it as it comes."

Selwood was at the MCG to watch his third brother, Joel, play in a premiership with Geelong, less than 10 months after moving away from home. His older brother, Troy, sat and watched with him. All three were at the ground a year before, to see Adam win his own medallion with West Coast.

It has made Scott realise how quickly life can move. "It's been amazing, the last couple of years. It was a special day for Joel on the weekend, and a special day for the Selwoods," said the 17-year-old.

"It was a perfect day for Geelong, and it was amazing to see it all happening to Joel. Even with Adam.

"You share their dream a bit when it happens, and imagine what it's like, and you see it all in front of you. We were all saying the other day how incredible it is that this time last year, Joel was sitting in the stands watching Adam do exactly the same thing, not even knowing what club he was going to.

"The next year he's 19 and already a premiership player.

"What he's done is pretty special and I think he realises that they don't come around very often. He doesn't take it for granted, he knows what it's all about."

So does Scott, who has found backyard cricket games don't last very long when there are no brothers to bowl to, but that he's not as hungry as he was when Adam, Troy and Joel still lived at home.

"I'm trying to eat a little more so that mum can keep life a bit normal," he said. "And you have to find a few new friends to invite over. You get a bit bored, on your own."

By the end of November, he should have his own new group of teammates, or perhaps be reunited with Joel or the twins, who left home when he was 12.

Scott is a half-back who can push into the midfield, who's been tipped to be picked anywhere from late in the first round to the start of the third, and who has used his brothers' experiences to understand what he'll have to do to go further, rather than feel burdened.

"The way I see it, it's a good thing for me," Selwood said. "There's a lot of boys probably wondering about how it works and feeling pretty nervous, but I've been able to see my brothers get drafted and get an idea of what they go through.

"It's funny how it's happened. I had no idea what it was about when Adam and Troy got picked … For the first few weeks it was just exciting, but now I understand a lot more about what a big commitment it is … you have to work really hard and every game is a privilege."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Pick the best player -not a name!

The best midfielder to go up the ranks with Armo would be potentially awesome if both worked out and provided the TEAM with that much sought after Depth a la west coast .

A switched on Fast and creative midfielder - yea i'd find it difficult to pass on that.

G O S A I N T E R S - K E E P P L A Y I N G H A R D!

I S J O S H K E N N E D Y C O M I N G T O M O O R A B B I N ?

Y E A S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Lynch Beast
Club Player

McEvoy is rated 4th by most clubs

top 4 on talent is pretty much Kruezer, Cotchin, Morton & McEvoy in that order but there is about 5 blokes that clubs rate at pick 5, I know that the hawks have David Myers at 5 but not sure about the others.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Do we want to draft a kid who will be doing yr12 (selwood) next year, or do we want someone who can step straight in?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Do we want to draft a kid who will be doing yr12 (selwood) next year, or do we want someone who can step straight in?
thats great news if it is the case...might last to pick 26 now

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Getting back on topic, would we draft McEvoy if available at pick 9?
Our history suggests we won't.
He sounds a bit like Brooks to me, forward ruck rather than out and out ruck.

rexy
SS Life Member

Would like to see us go after Cyril Rioli if he is available at 9, we need that really dangerous pace and forward preassure player IMO. Had Sheedy still been at Essendon they would have taken him but he may get through now that Knights is there.

Maybe this year?
claystreet
Club Player

rexy wrote:Would like to see us go after Cyril Rioli if he is available at 9, we need that really dangerous pace and forward preassure player IMO.
I agree
i really like the look of Rioli and thought the same yesterday.
Would be a good pickup for 9 spot if hes still available

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

What has become clear is that there will be a very high quality youngster available at pick 9.

Depending on which draft prediction you look at, McEvoy, Rance, Rioli, Myers and maybe even Rhys Palmer could still be available.

I really hope that we don't trade pick 9 now... as was posted earlier, adding David Myers to Armitage would be a very nice midfield when combined with our existing guns.

Grab an athletic key defender with the 2nd pick & a ruck project (Dawson Simpson???) with pick 3.