Should there be a night grand final?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Should there be a night grand final?

The Geelong v Collingwood prelim apparently rated through the roof and since then there has been increasing pressure from networks to make the grand final an evening fixture.

Although more people tuned in to the AFL grand final than the NRL grand final, the switch from day to night has been a very successful one for League.

I know the traditionalists won't be happy but I'd love a night grand final. There's just something special about the atmosphere under the glow of lights that I really enjoy.

What say you?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

No

saint4life
ben_fff
Club Player

God no, Grand Finals have to be during the day, you need to be able to have a bbq lunch, markers up at half time then cruise down to a oval after the game to kick a few goals.

goodie
Club Player

No. It's one day in September

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

NRL ratings were the lowest for 8 years this year.

Think youll find its more due to who's playing than the time its on.

TV Networks will ALWAYS want nighttime finals..its up to the governing body and the fans to resist it

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Went to the NRL GF and it was an incredible atmosphere at night.

I'll stick my neck out here and say I can't wait to see a night GF.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bozza1980
Club Player

I've went to the NRL GF in 2005, there is no doubt that there is an atmosphere surrounding sporting events held at night.

That said I think there is something special about the Grand Final being held in the afternoon and that you will lose more than you gain by shifting it.

The broadcasters will always push for a night game, but that isn't a good enough reason to move it.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

We already have a pre-season Grand Final played at night.......

I am opposed to one, I reckon the most important people in the Game that count - the players - would be opposed to it too.

Brewer
Club Player

I like the fact that AFL is somewhat unique. It has a great history and I don't see why it has to change to become more like 'other' codes.

So what if our finals are played in the afternoon? Remember that it is a lot harder to get AFL GF tickets than most other codes, so most people watch it at home or with friends. A daytime GF adds to the family atmosphere and makes it a great excuse for people to dust off the Weber for what is often the first BBQ of summer. Night finals are a more adult affair, with probably more drinking and less kids.

Similarly, so what if half the teams are based in one city? Just because that isn't true for other sports doesn't make it wrong. The game is played all over the world, and if Melbourne remains the Mecca for AFL football then so be it.

They should stop screwing with it. Ensure it is profitable, sure, but don't sell out its heritage and traditions for a few extra bucks.
Last edited by Brewer on Thu 04 Oct 2007 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

They can play it at noon on a Wednesday for all I care just as long as the StKFC is participating :)

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:God no, Grand Finals have to be during the day, you need to be able to have a bbq lunch, markers up at half time then cruise down to a oval after the game to kick a few goals.
It wouldn't change that much. Substitute your kick of the footy after the game with the pub and a few lagers.

You'll still have your bbq lunch and you can still have a kick in the afternoon - only you won't have to worry about your snags being cooked in time for the first bounce.

Nice relaxing day at home with your mates talking NOTHING but footy and then a casual stroll down to the G when the brightness of those massive lights suddenly hit you. You walk into the stadium and you look up at the night sky then follow the glare of the lights all the way down to see the reflection it creates on that plush, green MCG grass.

That is football. You know it makes sense. :lol:
Last edited by Beej on Thu 04 Oct 2007 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

phukc NO

and get up their cazaly played as well you pharkers in teh AFL.

night finals? IMO any reason why the atmosphere has been lacking is NOTHIGN to do with time, its to do with the distribution of tickets.

too many folks are non partisan, or follow a club for a day.

the reality is, if st kilda makes a GF, about 2/3 of the members wont get their tix through the club.

it will be the SC members and about 1/3 of the remaining members on a first come first serve basis and st kilda will have to dish out a fair wack of tix to their personal sponsors as well.

we want sponsors to cough up millions to support the club, fair call, but if we make the GF, well then the piper will charge his fee.

we cry that we can't get sponsorship $$ like carlton, but when we do, we will cry as a consequence we can't get GF tix.

the AFL will have to give 1/4 of all tix to the MCC, and another 1/4 to AFL members and Medallion club members, and another 1/4 to sponsors, coterie groups etc, leaving about 25k tix for actual members direct to the club.

as a consequence I'd be suprised if more than 1/4 of all the fans (given saints in the MCC and AFL and medallion club) belong to devoted fan base of each club, maybe less.

in an audience of close to a 100k thats a fair chunk of genuine atmosphere missing.

no idea how the NRL does it, but we have the reality of the MCC and AFL members taking tix, which interestingly the state government FORCED the AFL to play their finals at the MCG instead of the proposed 150k capacity stadium at Waverley they wanted to build...

its an interesting history.

if not for MCC lobbying and state government interference, we may have had a 150k stadium in waverley with NO special entry to MCC members.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Alot of NRL supporters are pushing for a return to a day Grand Final(QLDers especially). Whilst the New South Welshman get to enjoy a public holiday the day after the NRL Grand Final; their QLD brethren don't enjoy the same luxury. They also argue that night games make it tough for younger supporters.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I'm opposed to a night grand final. The afternoon creates an opportunity for a family and friends get together to watch the game and then you can go out and celebrate or commiserate whatever the result.
Also, for the players it would be tougher than the current arrangement. Waiting all day, you can't get any fitter or develop any strategies in six or seven hours, so they'd be waiting all day for the game.
Re atmosphere, I agree that the atmosphere is largely to do with the way the tickets are distributed. I remember going to every GF between 1976 and 1982 when you could still get tickets through a lottery type system in the paper if you weren't a member of a competing club. Those games had real atmosphere because they were largely patronised by geniune footy fans, not corporates who only go to one game a year.
Leave it as it is, I reckon.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

No way, leave the last bit of tradition alone. (and bring back Up There Cazaly)

Shades
Club Player

goodie wrote:No. It's one day in September

agree

saintsrule
Club Player

just one straight answer NO!!

Richter
SS Life Member

Brewer wrote:I like the fact that AFL is somewhat unique. It has a great history and I don't see why it has to change to become more like 'other' codes.
I hail from the UK where we have always had a Saturday afternoon FA Cup final. This year I really felt the same way as I did as a kid, waking up and feeling a tingle just because its the big day - even though your own team is not involved.

IMO this would not be the same if there was an evening GF. It would just mean stretching out the pre-game nonsense too long.

No to an evening GF.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

No nite GF thanx - leave it alone :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 04 Oct 2007 3:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Have a sook Dan, just because you're not an MCC member and I am! :cool:

Why build a megalithic stadium in outer Melbourne, which VFL Park was/is.....The Dome and MCG is a much better fit, better transport and both CBD based where all the action is!

As for the night grand final, why not a twilight one as Dimwit is pressing/suggesting?

Start at 5.00pm, finish at about 7.40pm - I reckon it's a good each way bet and from what I gather twilight H&A games rated very well on Fuxtel.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:No way, leave the last bit of tradition alone. (and bring back Up There Cazaly)
ditto

TRADITION 110% not much of that left in footy these days. people complain how the AFL are changing the game to much, lets take the only thing away that has lasted the test of time.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
CarlosA
Club Player

Whether it be during the day or the Grandy full of theatre goers the reality is that the atmosphere at the GF is a disgrace and a embarrisment for the AFLs Showpiece event.

Baldock Rules
Club Player

Over my dead body!!!!

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Keep it as the day game.

Although a Friday night Grand Final would give us an extra day to celebrate. :wink: :wink:

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

NO WAY

the AFL should tell the TV stations to go and get rooted, not everything is about ratings

and i think alot of NRL supports wish their GF was during the day again, and moving to a night GF was a terrible decision

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.