Travis Johnson Brock McLean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

milnedog
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:how was brock mcleans senior season? also seems to have issues with alcohol and bar room fighting...

travis johnstone, overrated and soft, but talented. he is a good player, but nothing special. i think going on 28?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 63,00.html

edited to add this in.
Johnstone also has problems with alcohol.

BROWNLOW: DalSanto 06, Ball 08, Riewoldt 07, Ball + Dal + ROO tie 09.
ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

OLB wrote:Boys will be boys.
No, farkwits will be farkwits

...bugger me age and me cranky ways
I'll send my bones to the contest again
Beej
Saintsational Legend

ifonlybarkswashere wrote:
You've never been involved in a dust-up?

ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

OLB wrote:
ifonlybarkswashere wrote:
You've never been involved in a dust-up?
None that were my fault! :D :D :D

QueenC
Club Player

Anyone want a Demon-informed opinion?

I am astonished that Robbo would name anyone. That is not his right and it is appalling to me, and extremely disappointing from a man who is doing his best to trample his loyal fans at this point in time. Just because he is pissed at the club due to a contract dispute doesn't mean he gets to speak for or about everyone.

Now onto the boys at hand. Firstly McLean (and Carroll and Rivers) were all cleared of any wrong doing while overseas (and I realise that is not nearly as fun as having them being thrown in jail or something similar, but that is fact). They were apparently set upon twice and fought back. That is not to say they have not been stupid, they have, and it is also very disappointing and hopefully they will get officially sanctioned by the club on their return home.

But McLean as far as I am aware has never given any indication of having any kind of alcohol problem (that would be Sylvia if you really feel the need to throw a stone at a Demon, so please for heavens sake don't start insinuating something that is nothing short of slanderous, despite recent incidents). And up until the 2007 season, which was an extremely poor one by his (and our) standards, he was being touted by all and sundry as a future captain of the club. He has very impressive leadership ability, something which you don't lose, but in my opinion he is probably not quite ready for that kind of responsibility. Although he was promoted to the leadership group in 2007.

McLean is a true hard nut in-and-under player. Something that the Dees have never really had in abundance over that last few decades. And at only 21-years old he will get better, especially after he shakes off the raft of injuries that has plagued him in recent years. He broke his foot in round one this season against you guys, missed the first eight rounds or so, and couldn't re-gain any semblance of form. But he is far far better than that and is looked at as a required player for our future success, and personally I can't see Melbourne wanting to lose him.

He is very important to our structure, and is one of the best and toughest ball winners in the league. Yes, he needs to learn how to shake a tag, but a lot of those issues came about this year due to the fact that Green, Johnstone, Bruce, among (plenty of) others were all missing for large portions of the season and it is tough to play a lone hand (apologies to Nathan Jones - who is a similar type of player to McLean). And yes the European indiscretions are a huge disappointment, but he is still one of the best, and is still a future leader, if not potential captain, of our club.

Johnstone is a vastly different kettle of fish. His name has been bandied around for trade for a few years now (from us mostly) and apparently this year one of the questions posed in the interviews to the prospective candidates vying for the vacant coaching position was what they would do with Travis going forward. What their answers were I don't know, although we may in fact find out what Bailey's was in the next couple of weeks.

To me Johnstone is an inordinately frustrating player. Incredibly skillful but unbelievably laconic and borderline lazy. His raw skills are some of the best in the league and was seen as a prodigy in the 1997 draft and we took him with our number one pick. When Johnstone is on song he is like poetry in motion. Silky and evasive and can be extremely damaging in his delivery both to the forward line and in kicking for goal.

Unfortunately he can also be extremely lazy. There are times when he just drifts out of games or simply doesn't turn up at all. He has been known to simply refuse to chase his player and has an unbelievably annoying tendency to point at other players, and seemingly tell his team mates what they should be doing without actually doing it himself. And while he is more than capable in laying a tackle it is the effort that usually falls well short of what is required at this level. But due to the fact we are all well aware of his massive up side, we sit and we wait for it to happen.

He is an "outside" player through and through. Not that I see this as such a derogatory thing, like others seem to. Every type of player has his place and finishers are more important than some realise. This being said they still need to be capable of winning their own ball and going when it is their turn. Melbourne have always had the reputation of not having enough of this. And I have some serious question marks about Johnstone in this regard, not because he can't do it, but there are times when he just won't. And to me attitude issues are vastly more sinister than skill issues. Besides Travis's skills are never in question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnstone is floated for trade, he could be a part of the Judd deal if that swings our way along with our #4 draft selection, and probably another younger player or another pick, if we can get it. I am guessing but these are the ideas swirling around. He is a former #1 pick and while I have seemingly ripped him to shreds he truly has an enormous upside and when on song is very rarely beaten. A different coach could do wonders for him and with him, which could also be an argument for keeping him around.

So I guess in conclusion, and I thank and applaud anyone on a Saints fan site who has actually read all these ramblings from a Demon, I think that if one of the two (Johnstone or McLean) has to go, and I think Melbourne will trade a couple this year, it would be Johnstone. It has often been said that we should off-load one or two of Bruce, Johnstone and Green. And there are rumblings coming out of the club that Green has greater value to us and could be in the running to be captain next season if Neitz hangs it up.

I think that McLean has more to give the Dees going forward and I would be unbelievably disappointed to see him go. And if he was being looked at then he certainly wouldn't be cheap (he was pick #5 in 2003) as he is young, tough, leadership ability and very capable and talented. Johnstone on the other hand could well be sacrificed for the future greater good of the club, especially if he helps us obtain Judd (oh come on, we can still dream!!). And given my ever increasing frustration with Johnstone despite his always amazing foot skills, I would not be completely gutted if he is the one sent into the sunset.

Hope that helps :wink: :) !!!
Last edited by QueenC on Wed 26 Sep 2007 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

QueenC wrote:Anyone want a Demon-informed opinion?

I am astonished that Robbo would name anyone. That is not his right and it is appalling to me, and extremely disappointing from a man who is doing his best to trample his loyal fans at this point in time. Just because he is pissed at the club due to a contract dispute doesn't mean he gets to speak for or about everyone.

Now onto the boys at hand. Firstly McLean (and Carroll and Rivers) were all cleared of any wrong doing while overseas (and I realise that is not nearly as fun as having them being thrown in jail or something similar, but that is fact). They were apparently set upon twice and fought back. That is not to say they have not been stupid, they have, and it is also very disappointing and hopefully they will get officially sanctioned by the club on their return home.

But McLean as far as I am aware has never given any indication of having any kind of alcohol problem (that would be Sylvia if you really feel the need to throw a stone at a Demon, so please for heavens sake don't start insinuating something that is nothing short of slanderous, despite recent incidents). And up until the 2007 season, which was an extremely poor one by his (and our) standards, he was being touted by all and sundry as a future captain of the club. He has very impressive leadership ability, something which you don't lose, but in my opinion he is probably not quite ready for that kind of responsibility. Although he was promoted to the leadership group in 2007.

McLean is a true hard nut in-and-under player. Something that the Dees have never really had in abundance over that last few decades. And at only 21-years old he will get better, especially after he shakes off the raft of injuries that has plagued him in recent years. He broke his foot in round one this season against you guys, missed the first eight rounds or so, and couldn't re-gain any semblance of form. But he is far far better than that and is looked at as a required player for our future success, and personally I can't see Melbourne wanting to lose him.

He is very important to our structure, and is one of the best and toughest ball winners in the league. Yes, he needs to learn how to shake a tag, but a lot of those issues came about this year due to the fact that Green, Johnstone, Bruce, among (plenty of) others were all missing for large portions of the season and it is tough to play a lone hand (apologies to Nathan Jones - who is a similar type of player to McLean). And yes the European indiscretions are a huge disappointment, but he is still one of the best, and is still a future leader, if not potential captain, of our club.

Johnstone is a vastly different kettle of fish. His name has been bandied around for trade for a few years now (from us mostly) and apparently this year one of the questions posed in the interviews to the prospective candidates vying for the vacant coaching position was what they would do with Travis going forward. What their answers were I don't know, although we may in fact find out what Bailey's was in the next couple of weeks.

To me Johnstone is an inordinately frustrating player. Incredibly skillful but unbelievably laconic and borderline lazy. His raw skills are some of the best in the league and was seen as a prodigy in the 1997 draft and we took him with our number one pick. When Johnstone is on song he is like poetry in motion. Silky and evasive and can be extremely damaging in his delivery both to the forward line and in kicking for goal.

Unfortunately he can also be extremely lazy. There are times when he just drifts out of games or simply doesn't turn up at all. He has been known to simply refuse to chase his player and has an unbelievably annoying tendency to point at other players, and seemingly tell his team mates what they should be doing without actually doing it himself. And while he is more than capable in laying a tackle it is the effort that usually falls well short of what is required at this level. But due to the fact we are all well aware of his massive up side, we sit and we wait for it to happen.

He is an "outside" player through and through. Not that I see this as such a derogatory thing, like others seem to. Every type of player has his place and finishers are more important than some realise. This being said they still need to be capable of winning their own ball and going when it is their turn. Melbourne have always had the reputation of not having enough of this. And I have some serious question marks about Johnstone in this regard, not because he can't do it, but there are times when he just won't. And to me attitude issues are vastly more sinister than skill issues. Besides Travis's skills are never in question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnstone is floated for trade, he could be a part of the Judd deal if that swings our way along with our #4 draft selection, and probably another younger player or another pick, if we can get it. I am guessing but these are the ideas swirling around. He is a former #1 pick and while I have seemingly ripped him to shreds he truly has an enormous upside and when on song is very rarely beaten. A different coach could do wonders for him and with him, which could also be an argument for keeping him around.

So I guess in conclusion, and I thank and applaud anyone on a Saints fan site who has actually read all these ramblings from a Demon, I think that if one of the two (Johnstone or McLean) has to go, and I think Melbourne will trade a couple this year, it would be Johnstone. It has often been said that we should off-load one or two of Bruce, Johnstone and Green. And there are rumblings coming out of the club that Green has greater value to us and could be in the running to be captain next season if Neitz hangs it up.

I think that McLean has more to give the Dees going forward and I would be unbelievably disappointed to see him go. And if he was being looked at then he certainly wouldn't be cheap (he was pick #5 in 2003) as he is young, tough, leadership ability and very capable and talented. Johnstone on the other hand could well be sacrificed for the future greater good of the club, especially if he helps us obtain Judd (oh come on, we can still dream!!). And given my ever increasing frustration with Johnstone despite his ever amazing foot skills, I would not be completely gutted if he is the one sent into the sunset.

Hope that help :wink: :) !!!
Good for you QC...a great summary

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Nicely put QueenC.

The one I'd be interested in getting to the Saints is Nathan Jones. I doubt very much whether McLean would be traded, he's simply too valuable to the Dees. Johnstone is IMO too old now to be enough value (I'd expect 5+ years minimum for a traded for player otherwise not interested), but young Jones is a beauty, and I'd be very happy to see him as a Saint. Whether the Dees would trade him is another story of course ... :wink:

QueenC
Club Player

ifonlybarkswashere wrote: Good for you QC...a great summary
Cheers mate and thanks for reading it :o !!!

QueenC
Club Player

St DAC wrote:Nicely put QueenC.

The one I'd be interested in getting to the Saints is Nathan Jones. I doubt very much whether McLean would be traded, he's simply too valuable to the Dees. Johnstone is IMO too old now to be enough value (I'd expect 5+ years minimum for a traded for player otherwise not interested), but young Jones is a beauty, and I'd be very happy to see him as a Saint. Whether the Dees would trade him is another story of course ... :wink:
Jones has just re-signed to Melbourne for a further two years, sorry!!!

gosaints
Club Player

You'd think that Brock Mclean would just about be at the top of the Demons untouchables list. He is talked about as the future captain.

Travis Johnstone I'd have in an instant. Not sure what the asking price would be but he has the finishing skills to rip sides apart. He would be a great asset to our midfield. Also finds the ball very well as proved by his 42 touches in round 22.

QueenC
Club Player

gosaints wrote: You'd think that Brock Mclean would just about be at the top of the Demons untouchables list. He is talked about as the future captain.
He is, you are right.
gosaints wrote: Travis Johnstone I'd have in an instant. Not sure what the asking price would be but he has the finishing skills to rip sides apart. He would be a great asset to our midfield. Also finds the ball very well as proved by his 42 touches in round 22.
Not to be completely bitchy but please bear in mind that those 42 touches came against a tanking Carlton, a team with the average age of a pre-school class.
A player of Travis's class and ability should not have too much trouble finding the ball in those circumstances.

gosaints
Club Player

QueenC wrote: Not to be completely bitchy but please bear in mind that those 42 touches came against a tanking Carlton, a team with the average age of a pre-school class.
A player of Travis's class and ability should not have too much trouble finding the ball in those circumstances.
While you are right on the money, I think anybody who can find the ball 42 times in any level of footy has done a fair days work... even if Carlton were doing everything but trying to win the game.

TJ obviously has his flaws but as you said in your earlier post, those foot skills are just too good to pass up on. I'd like to see him under Ross Lyon [or Dean Bailey for that matter] and see if he can light a fire under his arse. He has only had 1 coach through his entire career and a fresh voice my just do him the world of good.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

QueenC wrote:Anyone want a Demon-informed opinion?

Thanks for the informed info QueenC ... but no need to get your knickers in a knot over Robbo....... :D
I was referring to Robbo the journo ...not the Demons Robbo ....

QueenC
Club Player

Well thank god for that!!!

My misunderstanding came form the fact that our Robbo has been in the press lately talking up his trading as well as talking up the Doggies.
It was the logical next step, but as it turned out that was one step too far!!!

So thanks for putting me straight Belfast :) !!!

......the rest of it stands though.

Washedup
Club Player

I think nearly every club if they had a choice between both Travis Johnstone or Brock McLean then they would rather have Brock but IMO TJ is the player we need more out of the 2.
Brock no doubt has great leadership qualities, is a hard nut and only young at 21 but he is already looking to be injury prone. He is, and i agree very much in the mould of Luke Ball, but a fit Luke Ball is a hell of alot better footballer IMO.
Travis Johnstone on the other hand would fit the STK requirements alot better. One area that our football club lacks is a lot of quality players with good footskills.
DalSanto aside, who else at our club is damaging by foot regularly?
As has already been stated by other posters TJ has fantastic skills. Strangely his kicking efficiency % usually is lower than what you would expect it to be for someone of his class, but i think this is due mainly because he has so much confidence in his own ability, that on occasions instead of playing the percentages he tries something freakish that most players wouldn't even contemplate.
I feel that TJ is one of these players that has become too comfortable and a change of clubs could be the kick up the bum that he needs.
I for one would love to see TJ in the STK jumper next season, and i'm sure Rooey and Kosi would appreciate looking up and leading in the fwd 50 when the ball is in TJ's hands

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:I think nearly every club if they had a choice between both Travis Johnstone or Brock McLean then they would rather have Brock but IMO TJ is the player we need more out of the 2.
Brock no doubt has great leadership qualities, is a hard nut and only young at 21 but he is already looking to be injury prone. He is, and i agree very much in the mould of Luke Ball, but a fit Luke Ball is a hell of alot better footballer IMO.
Travis Johnstone on the other hand would fit the STK requirements alot better. One area that our football club lacks is a lot of quality players with good footskills.
DalSanto aside, who else at our club is damaging by foot regularly?
As has already been stated by other posters TJ has fantastic skills. Strangely his kicking efficiency % usually is lower than what you would expect it to be for someone of his class, but i think this is due mainly because he has so much confidence in his own ability, that on occasions instead of playing the percentages he tries something freakish that most players wouldn't even contemplate.
I feel that TJ is one of these players that has become too comfortable and a change of clubs could be the kick up the bum that he needs.
I for one would love to see TJ in the STK jumper next season, and i'm sure Rooey and Kosi would appreciate looking up and leading in the fwd 50 when the ball is in TJ's hands
TJ kicking efficency is poor because he is a poor kick on many occasions. If it was out of BM or TJ I would take BM in a heartbeat even if they were the same age. BM is a tough fast midfielder TJ is a slow older midfielder.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Brock McLean is a very handy player, he is good now and will be very good in the future.

He's hard, he knows how to win the ball, and he's not too slow either.

If he is available we should go for it, I'm not sure what I'd give up however.

I would steer clear of TJ, too old, too temperamental, goes missing when it counts IMO.

Washedup
Club Player

TJ kicking efficency is poor because he is a poor kick on many occasions. If it was out of BM or TJ I would take BM in a heartbeat even if they were the same age. BM is a tough fast midfielder TJ is a slow older midfielder.
Brock McLean also comes on double the price tag. Brock McLean fast and Travis Johnstone Slow......................mmm I dont know what you are are watching.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
Brock McLean also comes on double the price tag. Brock McLean fast and Travis Johnstone Slow......................mmm I dont know what you are are watching.
When they have the ball. Not on a running track.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Washedup wrote:
When they have the ball. Not on a running track.
mclean is extremly quick...doesnt have the quick body and would surprise many
Last edited by SaintBot on Wed 26 Sep 2007 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

QueenC
Club Player

McLean is quick.

Johnstone is, not quick, but can be elusive.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Travis Johsnton = Poor mans Dal Santo.....not required.

Brock Mclean = 21, tough, fast, required. yes please.

“Yeah….nah””
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with Plugger 100%... McLean will be in the top 10 mids in coming years. Had a bad year due to injury but he showed his quality when he almost single handedly won the final last year against us. Johnstone is soft & inconsistent, that is not what we need.

McLean is a gun & is quick for a 'solid' in & under player. He also has very good footskills. A quicker version of Lenny Hayes for mine & just as untradeable. The Dees would ber very desperate for Judd if they traded him. As for him being injury prone, how does an impact injury like a broken foot constitute injury prone??? He's very durable & tough.

I'd trade 9, 24, the 3rd & 4th rounders & chuck in X.Clarke for Mclean.

I'd give nothing more that the 3rd rounder for Bonga.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

travis johnstone = slower but slightly more disciplined version of fiora.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!